After becoming a Canadian?

Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:34 am
Just Joined

montrealz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default After becoming a Canadian?

Hi Everyone,

Two days ago, I became a Canadian. And I got couple of questions.

Background: I am an Indian and since I became a Canadian, my Indian passport is not valid per se and I would be applying for OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card and all that stuff.

My question is, on my Indian passport, I got a 10 year B-1/B-2 visa for US. I understand that being a Canadian I do not need any visa to US for general visit or travel, however, is there any need or advantage to get this visa transferred to my Canadian passport? Will there be any advantage to do that if I need to travel from India directly to US?

And one more silly question is, if a passport is canceled, will all the visa stamps get canceled?

Any suggestions are well appreciated.

MontrealZ
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:31 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After becoming a Canadian?

Hi

Originally Posted by montrealz
Hi Everyone,

Two days ago, I became a Canadian. And I got couple of questions.

Background: I am an Indian and since I became a Canadian, my Indian passport is not valid per se and I would be applying for OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) card and all that stuff.

My question is, on my Indian passport, I got a 10 year B-1/B-2 visa for US. I understand that being a Canadian I do not need any visa to US for general visit or travel, however, is there any need or advantage to get this visa transferred to my Canadian passport? Will there be any advantage to do that if I need to travel from India directly to US?

And one more silly question is, if a passport is canceled, will all the visa stamps get canceled?

Any suggestions are well appreciated.

MontrealZ
1. Last question first, if the passport is canceled, it is no longer valid for travel, so you would have to get any visa's transferred. It is quite likely as a Canadian you would not longer need them.
2. For pleasure trips of less than 90 days you don't require a B1/B2 see: http://www.workpermit.com/us/employer_b1_b2.htm As long as you are entering as a Canadian it doesn't matter where you are entering from.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks PMM for answering my questions. It is appreciated.

MontrealZ

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Last question first, if the passport is canceled, it is no longer valid for travel, so you would have to get any visa's transferred. It is quite likely as a Canadian you would not longer need them.
2. For pleasure trips of less than 90 days you don't require a B1/B2 see: http://www.workpermit.com/us/employer_b1_b2.htm As long as you are entering as a Canadian it doesn't matter where you are entering from.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

SinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the roughSinghPro is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Just to add to Point 2, Canadians get 180 days not 90 as other countries on VWP.

cheers
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks Singhpro, it is nice to know that it is 180 days and not 90.

MontrealZ

Originally Posted by SinghPro
Just to add to Point 2, Canadians get 180 days not 90 as other countries on VWP.

cheers
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks Singhpro, it is nice to know that it is 180 days and not 90.

MontrealZ
Canada, Bermuda and Mexico are not part of the Visa Waiver Program, they are in a separate program.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Canada, Bermuda and Mexico are not part of the Visa Waiver Program, they are in a separate program.
The full arrangements for these countries/territory are at:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1260.html

One thing an Indian born Canadian does need to bear in mind is that if he or she applies for a green card or immigrant visa, chargeability will normally be based on birthplace (ie India) rather than Canada, which means a longer wait for many types of GC/IV.

Unless spouse is born in Canada or there is some other way to be charged to a different country.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ for the clarification and the link.

One thing I do not understand is about the chargeability to be based on the birthplace. While I have no intentions to move to US at present, for the sake of knowledge, I would like to learn more about this issue.

Thanks again,

MontrealZ

Originally Posted by JAJ
The full arrangements for these countries/territory are at:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wi...hout_1260.html

One thing an Indian born Canadian does need to bear in mind is that if he or she applies for a green card or immigrant visa, chargeability will normally be based on birthplace (ie India) rather than Canada, which means a longer wait for many types of GC/IV.

Unless spouse is born in Canada or there is some other way to be charged to a different country.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JAJ for the clarification and the link.

One thing I do not understand is about the chargeability to be based on the birthplace. While I have no intentions to move to US at present, for the sake of knowledge, I would like to learn more about this issue.

United States immigration quotas are based on country of birth not country of citizenship. In some cases you can claim to "belong" to a parent or spouse's country of birth, but otherwise you remain attached to your birth country even if you are no longer a citizen of that country.

In other words, if you are born in India and become a naturalised Canadian citizen, you will still be allocated to the "India" quota if you ever look to obtain a U.S. immigrant visa or green card.

This is despite the fact that for temporary admission to the U.S., your Canadian passport takes precedence.

People born in India do have to wait longer than most others for the main green card categories:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_4231.html
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks JAJ.

I have clear understanding of the whole issue now.

Thanks again,

MontrealZ

Originally Posted by JAJ
United States immigration quotas are based on country of birth not country of citizenship. In some cases you can claim to "belong" to a parent or spouse's country of birth, but otherwise you remain attached to your birth country even if you are no longer a citizen of that country.

In other words, if you are born in India and become a naturalised Canadian citizen, you will still be allocated to the "India" quota if you ever look to obtain a U.S. immigrant visa or green card.

This is despite the fact that for temporary admission to the U.S., your Canadian passport takes precedence.

People born in India do have to wait longer than most others for the main green card categories:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_4231.html