Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advise Regarding Visa Rquirements for Extended Visit from In-Laws

Advise Regarding Visa Rquirements for Extended Visit from In-Laws

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of
Default Advise Regarding Visa Rquirements for Extended Visit from In-Laws

My in-laws are wanting to come and visit us in Canada for an extended period of six to nine months. They don't want to apply for the super visa as this will be a one off visit. My Father-in-Law has said that he's seen something on the CIC website stating that they just need to get a letter from CIC for an extended visit which informs the border officer to give them a one year visitors visa. I have no idea what he is talking about and I can't find anything on CIC's website either.

Can anyone advise me on what they would need to do in order to visit for six to nine months? They are very self sufficient, will rent out their home in the UK while they are visiting here and already have private health care insurance.

I'd appreciate any info you might have!
Thanks!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advise Regarding Visa Rquirements for Extended Visit from In-Laws

A visitor may stay for 12 months with written authority by CBSA providing the visitor satisfies them that they will
1. Leave Canada at the end of their stay
2. Will not work or study while in Canada
3. Has sufficient funds to look after themselves while here
4. Has adequate medical coverage
5. is not inadmissible due to health, financial or criminality grounds.
Person can apply at a Port of Entry but the final decision rests with CBSA.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/arriving.asp
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of

Thanks so much.
So, they basically arrive at the border and explain how they long they want to stay, provide evidence of funds etc. and it is then up to the CBSA officer as to whether or not they can stay that long? CBSA might just say they can stay only two to three months rather than six to nine?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvmykids
Thanks so much.
So, they basically arrive at the border and explain how they long they want to stay, provide evidence of funds etc. and it is then up to the CBSA officer as to whether or not they can stay that long? CBSA might just say they can stay only two to three months rather than six to nine?
Pretty much.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:41 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Older applicants may be asked for proof of medical insurance - my father-in-law is one example. Are there others?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Just my Father-in-Law and Mother-in-Law. They are in their mid sixties and have private medical insurance (I think it's an annual travel one)
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

we got our son an extension no problems as he was appling on our PR application so good excuse to extened his from UK, think you will be ok as long as you have a good reason