Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advise on how to go about moving to Ontario or Quebec from UK

Advise on how to go about moving to Ontario or Quebec from UK

Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:09 am
Just Joined

hammo1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise on how to go about moving to Ontario or Quebec from UK

Hi all I've just joined the forum
I would like to know where it would be good to settle as I am an English person with qualifications in HGV mechanics and welding ( working on trucks here are mainly European such as DAF , MAN , Scania, Mercedez, Volvo and so on)
I would love to work on trucks over in Canada such as KENWORTH and western stars, Swedish scanias and the list goes on. I have 6 years experience in mechanics as well as auto Technitian and I am currently workshop manager where I work. A few mates of mine have left to go Australia but I like Christmas and snow so a four season thing is a big deal to me. I would be moving with my other half and my 5 year old son.
We have been looking at Quebec and Ontario which is also the closest side to the uk. Are there any seminars I could go to to ask someone or someone in Canada that I could chat with. Would be entirely great full if you could direct me the correct way on how to go about this thank you
Kind regards
Alex
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Advise on how to go about moving to Ontario or Quebec from UK

Also my other half is a fully trained beautician b&q level 3 and nvq level 3 in care. Any advise please thank you
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Quebec has it's own immigration process, for that you need to look here - Immigration-Québec - Home Page How's your French?

And Ontario comes under the Federal system, so start with the Wiki and the CIC website - Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada

Once you've figured out a likely visa route, feel free to ask questions about it. One thing to mention is that beauticians are a regulated trade in Canada, so your OH will need to sit exams etc, to work there.

HTH get you started, good luck.
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Is it harder to get into Canada than it is Australia ?.
Is it easier to get a mechanics job ?
Old Dec 28th 2014, 6:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hammo1988
Is it harder to get into Canada than it is Australia ?.
Is it easier to get a mechanics job ?
I'm afraid I have no idea about Australian immigration, so really don't know where is easiest.

Have you visited both? If you're going to spend tens of thousands of pounds on a move, then you need to make sure you choose the best place for you rather than where is just easiest, so maybe research both countries more and see where you think you'd be happiest. There's also a Wiki article comparing them both iirc.

Best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 28th 2014 at 6:50 am.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 2:18 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is further away from the UK than the east side of Canada. Australia is shaped like a oval with a pointy bit on the right top corner, Canada is bigger and almost rectangle in shape above a country called the USA, both countries (USA and Canada I mean not Australia) are joined and share a border. In Quebec they mostly speak French, rest of Canada is a mix of English, Punjabi and Chinese.

There are big trucks in Canada as there are in Australia, they will all need fixing at one point so your job will work in both locations.

People like to look good in both locations too, so your spouse job is a viable option too.

Try find the list !! This is a list of jobs that are in demand for your trade, if you find your trade then go for it, if not then maybe the list will get updated with your job in the near future. Wait till it does then go for it.

Good luck

Last edited by magnumpi; Dec 29th 2014 at 2:20 am.
Old Dec 29th 2014, 4:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hammo1988
Any advise please thank you
Do a lot more research, which is easy these days with computers.

Visit the place you are interested in going to, cheaper than moving and making a mistake.

Nowhere is easy to move to if you don't go about it in the right way.

You refer to Ontario and Quebec being closer to the UK, they are clsoer than the West Coast, not as close as the Atlantic provinces, but way closer than Australia. If being close to the UK is important, is Australia a good move?

Quebec, good if you speak French, could pass a French written and oral test.

How easy is it to get a job? That depends on the individual. There may be plenty of jobs, you are the one who has to pass the qualification exams and get though interviews. You should be preparing yourself for the qualification exams, job hunting skills and interviewing techniques. If you are very good at your job, have good references and can present yourself well, the chances are improved.

You stated your other half has some qualification, what is a b & q level 3?