advice for work permit v pr

Old Sep 7th 2008, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Keg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really niceKeg and Mash is just really nice
Default advice for work permit v pr

please advise if you could, my brother is a farmer and has been issued a work permit for twelve months, (some concerns re employer,they say!) he is unsure what to do for best obviously money can be an issue with these things, does he apply for work permit extension as soon as he arrives or straight for pr or both. He will be in Ontario where does he apply? As he has been given LMO for this one job does that mean he reaches the points to gain a PR. Thanks for your advise in advance it's been two years since we got here and you try and put this whole process to the back of your mind!!!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:22 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice for work permit v pr

If your brother has access to the Internet, get him to come on here and ask these questions himself. In my opinion there are too many variables to be able to answer these questions through a third party. But I'll do my best with the information that's available.

The fact that his prospective employer has been given an LMO does not mean your brother has enough points for a PR application.

Points in any case are useless. Well, I shouldn't say they're useless. If one doesn't have enough of them, points matter. If one has enough points, that fact -- on its own -- does not get one into Canada. The system has evolved into one that favours people who have pre-arranged employment. That has become a critical factor.

If, once your brother is working in Canada under the terms of his temporary work permit (TWP), his employer offers him a permanent job, your brother would be able to apply for PR and request that his application be expedited on the basis of the permanent job offer. See the Wiki article called Fast Track PR Application-Canada. Assuming your brother is British, he should send his PR application to the Canadian High Commission (CHC) in London, UK. But, if the Canadian government has concerns that the employer is dodgy, I don't know how much your brother can rely on said employer.

If your brother wants to extend his TWP, his employer will have to apply for another LMO. Your brother then should send his application to Extend his stay as a worker to the Case Processing Centre (CPC) in Vegreville, Alberta. I don't know when the employer and your brother should initiate this process, but I'm guessing it would be prudent for them to set things in motion at least three months before your brother's TWP is due to expire.

If your brother has the capital to pay a downpayment on a farm, he might be able to get into Canada through the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) of Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba. PNP is one way of getting PR.
x