Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice for wife - PR activated but no resident

Advice for wife - PR activated but no resident

Old Jan 10th 2022, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice for wife - PR activated but no resident

My wife did land and activate her PR in Canada in early 2018 but then she had to return to UK after only a two months. In late 2018 we had sold the house and were packing up and moving to Canada so my son and I went ahead (my son and I are both Canadian Citizens). We stayed there for several months and than I returned to UK as the wife was not following and had not booked the removals company. After returning there were so issues and so we all stayed in the UK and then the Pandemic hit. As my son was well into his GCSEs we decided that it would be best for him to stay. So he will finish in May 2021 and now I'm thinking that we should now return to Canada.

But my wife hasn't or probably won't meet the 730 days requirement before her PR expires. Is it possible for her to return to Canada and than apply for an extension of some type or does she need to reapply for a new PR (ie: when the PR expires reapply for PR as a residing in Canada with me?).

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 10th 2022, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for wife - PR activated but no resident

Originally Posted by rawsalad
My wife did land and activate her PR in Canada in early 2018 but then she had to return to UK after only a two months. In late 2018 we had sold the house and were packing up and moving to Canada so my son and I went ahead (my son and I are both Canadian Citizens). We stayed there for several months and than I returned to UK as the wife was not following and had not booked the removals company. After returning there were so issues and so we all stayed in the UK and then the Pandemic hit. As my son was well into his GCSEs we decided that it would be best for him to stay. So he will finish in May 2021 and now I'm thinking that we should now return to Canada.

But my wife hasn't or probably won't meet the 730 days requirement before her PR expires. Is it possible for her to return to Canada and than apply for an extension of some type or does she need to reapply for a new PR (ie: when the PR expires reapply for PR as a residing in Canada with me?).

Thanks for any advice.
How did your wife get her PR, were you a citizen back then and sponsored her? If so, she doesn't need to meet the residency obligation by living in Canada, she meets it by just living with you (anywhere in the world). https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Resid...gations-Canada
Old Jan 10th 2022, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am a citizen so I was living with her in the UK and sponsored her to Canada. We are have been living together mostly continuously aside from the 6 months I was in Canada and she was in the UK.

I'll just confirm this but

Thank you very much for that information. It was very helpful.
Old Jan 10th 2022, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rawsalad
Yes, I am a citizen so I was living with her in the UK and sponsored her to Canada. We are have been living together mostly continuously aside from the 6 months I was in Canada and she was in the UK.
In which case, she still has PR status and can return at any time.

To confirm if from the 'horses mouth' so to speak, here is the info from the CIC website - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...um=1466&top=10

HTH.