Advice for the uncertain...

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 3:55 am
Lawrence Hudson

Hi,

I am British Software Engineer resident in the UK and seeking PR in Canada as an
independent applicant; I have computed my score as 72 points.

After having studied the application kit I confident about being able to submit an
application but I am concerned that my application might be delayed or rejected
because of errors, omissions or incorrect wording on the form, bad covering letter,
etc. It seems easy to make a slight mistake that messes everything up!

I am wondering about the merits of applying using an immigration consultancy or
similar. What sort of experiences have people had with consultant services? Does a
consultant greatly improve the likelihood of success and/or the processing time?

Thanks, Lawrence Hudson

PS I am aware that some consultants contribute to this group - I'm not trying to
upset anyone!

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 4:41 am
Andrew Miller

I don't think that you can upset anyone with such legitimate questions.

Immigration professionals cannot speed-up the process, although applications well
prepared and strongly presented by an experienced expert will most likely not suffer
from any delays caused by missing information or documents, by errors and mistakes
requiring additional clarification or by improper presentation of qualifications. As
for the chance for success - it varies as ratio of refusals for applications
submitted without professional help is in the range of 30% to 80%+ (depending from
visa post), while cases accepted and submitted by experienced immigration
professional are rarely refused. Most of us simply don't accept cases that have no
chance for success. More, some of us (including my Firm) provide 100% money back
guarantee in the case of refusal, so we would be not very rational accepting cases in
which we can't be sure of result.

When selecting a consultant make sure that you feel comfortable with him or her and
that he or she is based in Canada. Regardless what consultants based outside Canada
claim they cannot gain access to your files and cannot receive certain information
about your case as Canadian law clearly prohibits release of any information
pertaining to immigration application to any person who is not a Canadian citizen or
resident and is not based in Canada.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 22nd 2001, 6:32 am
Mars

Lawrence, My advise to you would be to do it yourself! I speculated with the idea of
going through a consultant, but in the end the more I read the documentation and
perused this news group, I found the challenge quite interesting! Best thing to do is
to take your time compiling all the material, completing the forms ( anything that
you are not sure of could be cleared by asking questions here). Currently, I am
awaiting my medical, so it cannot be that bad attempting to do it yourself! Plus for
me personally, the thought of having to chase a consultant to find out why... was
also a factor! Anyway the final decision always comes down to you.

Good Luck

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >