Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice for UK National wanting to move to Vancouver, BC

Advice for UK National wanting to move to Vancouver, BC

Old Jun 17th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

pbt_30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for UK National wanting to move to Vancouver, BC

Hello

Any and all advice to my query will be greatly appreciated.

I was born in and have lived in the UK my whole life.

Two years ago I met a kind lady who was born in Canada and lives in Vancouver. I would like to know where I stand with regards to, and how best to go about, trying to move to British Columbia, to be with her. We have spent almost every day for over two years together, online.

The complications arise in the fact that I've lost my driving license twice for drink driving, with the most recent ban having expired only this year. I was previously aware that Canada has strict laws on achieving residence there and from memory read, that you must wait five years after the ban has expired before being eligible to become a permanent resident there.

Marriage is a possible solution to this. I am willing to one day up sticks and move to Canada if it means being with this person. However I have not the first clue about where I stand with regards to marrying her, either here, or in Canada, or how to go about it.

If anyone who has been in a similar boat, or someone who has further information about any processes involved, timescales or things I need to consider, can provide me with some help I will be very grateful.

Any contact info for bodies, offices or institutions that I can call or write to get further information, would also be helpful.

Thanks.

PBT.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for UK National wanting to move to Vancouver, BC

Originally Posted by pbt_30
The complications arise in the fact that I've lost my driving license twice for drink driving, with the most recent ban having expired only this year. I was previously aware that Canada has strict laws on achieving residence there and from memory read, that you must wait five years after the ban has expired before being eligible to become a permanent resident there.
Unfortunately, you've misunderstood - criminal rehab is needed for any reason (even just a visit), not just PR. But you are correct that you could not apply for it until at least five years have passed.

So definitely don't just go over and marry her!

Here is the info you need on criminal rehab from the CIC website..........http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp

Welcome to the forum.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Unfortunately, you've misunderstood - criminal rehab is needed for any reason (even just a visit), not just PR. But you are correct that you could not apply for it until at least five years have passed.

So definitely don't just go over and marry her!

Here is the info you need on criminal rehab from the CIC website..........http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ns/rehabil.asp

Welcome to the forum.
Hi and thanks for the quick reply and welcome. Am I correct in thinking, that even if I wanted to go over for a holiday to see her, I might be turned back at the airport if they asked or found out that I had received a drink driving ban in the UK and that five years had not passed?

I was under the impression that for a visit of up to 6 months, I would be OK in that regard.

I was also hoping, that if I could go over there, and marry her, or likewise if she at some point came to the UK for a holiday and was able to marry me, that the five year period could be overlooked.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and thanks for the quick reply and welcome. Am I correct in thinking, that even if I wanted to go over for a holiday to see her, I might be turned back at the airport if they asked or found out that I had received a drink driving ban in the UK and that five years had not passed?
Yes. But you really shouldn't even try to enter Canada as you'll just do yourself more harm in the long run. You are inadmissible for any reason (even a holiday) and if you enter when you shouldn't (the onus is on you to know the rules before you try) then it will come back to bite you if you try to apply for any other visa in the future. Here is a more specific page about criminal rehab for visitors from the CIC website - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp

I was also hoping, that if I could go over there, and marry her, or likewise if she at some point came to the UK for a holiday and was able to marry me, that the five year period could be overlooked.
Being married to a Canadian gives you no advantage when it comes to criminal rehab I'm afraid.

If you'd only got one conviction and it was 4 years ago, then I'd suggest seeing if you could apply for rehab (by doing an 'info only' application) and you could still do that, but I really can't see anyway that it would be granted with it being so recent and having more than one conviction.

Can she come and visit you in the UK and live there instead?
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Can she come and visit you in the UK and live there instead?
She doesn't want to move to the UK! It's on me to somehow be able to move there. I am a bit shocked that I was going to visit Canada earlier this year, thinking that for just a short holiday my drink driving would not be an issue. I had the tickets bought but due to an accident I couldn't go in the end.

Looks like I have to wait until 2016 to even be able to enter Canada without it being dodgy!

Thanks for your help.

Maybe the only solution is that she visits the UK with a marriage visa/permit and we marry, and on those grounds, they would allow me to visit Canada at least until I'm allowed to move there permanently after 2016. Seems like that is the only solution, and it's what I thought since 2009 anyway. Doesn't look like she's coming to the UK though.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

She doesn't want to move to the UK! It's on me to somehow be able to move there.
With respect, if she wants to be with you, she may *have* to move to the UK. Either that, or accept that you won't be together for another five or six years (criminal rehab can take a year to be processed).

Maybe the only solution is that she visits the UK with a marriage visa/permit and we marry, and on those grounds, they would allow me to visit Canada at least until I'm allowed to move there permanently after 2016.
As I said above, being married to a Canadian will make no difference. And it's not different levels of inadmissibility i.e. less for a holiday or more for moving there - you are inadmissible full stop. It doesn't matter what the reason for your trip is, and if you can't move there permanently because of criminal inadmissibility, you can't visit either. Sorry to be blunt, but I don't think you're understanding that.

When was your previous conviction? Was it also recent, or a long time ago? The only thing I can suggest is that you do an 'info only' application, to find out if you are definitely inadmisible, and when you would be able to apply for rehab, and then you can plan from there.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

When was your previous conviction? Was it also recent, or a long time ago? The only thing I can suggest is that you do an 'info only' application, to find out if you are definitely inadmisible, and when you would be able to apply for rehab, and then you can plan from there.
My most recent ban was in April 2008, and it was for three years.

The last thing I want to do is go there for a visit, and be told I'm not admissable by an Immigration Officer, and sent back, so I do appreciate what you're trying to tell me about not being admissable.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The last thing I want to do is go there for a visit, and be told I'm not admissable by an Immigration Officer, and sent back, so I do appreciate what you're trying to tell me about not being admissable.
That wouldn't actually so bad - what would be worse is that you're admitted (criminal convictions are rarely asked about on entry, as I said above the onus is on you to know the rules of the country you are seeking to enter) and then you try and apply for Permanent Residency afterwards.

For that, you'd have to supply a police certificate, and then they would find out that you entered when you shouldn't have done, and that's when the real trouble would start!

You've mentioned your most recent conviction, but I was asking about the one prior to that - when was that? Just wondering if it was recent too, or a long time ago.

Try an 'info only', and then you can take it from there. You might want to consult with an immigration lawyer or two as well.

Edit: this FAQ which has some useful info on it too, including info on trying to enter when you are in fact inadmissible.............http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 17th 2011 at 9:42 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

You've mentioned your most recent conviction, but I was asking about the one prior to that - when was that? Just wondering if it was recent too, or a long time ago.

Try an 'info only', and then you can take it from there. You might want to consult with an immigration lawyer or two as well.

Edit: this FAQ which has some useful info on it too, including info on trying to enter when you are in fact inadmissible.............http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca....aspx?lang=eng
Thanks so much for your help. My first ban was in 2001, for 18 months, so quite a while ago.

I'll read all the links and I probably need to become deemed admissable prior to entering by following the appropriate steps. I have contacted the London Canadian Immigration people by email asking them what the process is.

Thanks again
Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi. It was in 2001, the first one.

Thanks so much for all your help. I've contacted the London/Canadian Embassy/Immigration people for further information about trying to become admissable for just a visit.