Advice - turning TWP to PR

Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Advice - turning TWP to PR

We're in Alberta on a low skill TWP for 2 yrs. It says on the paperwork that we must leave Canada for 4 months at the end of this period before applying for another WP. We would like to stay and apply for PR, however, I've just been checking out the new rules and the 38 occupations. I would've been able to apply in my name and gained points for my brother being here and us being here on a TWP after 12 mths, but my NOC is not on the list now. It says in the new rules that you can apply if you have Arranged Employment, but I'm assuming this is for a skilled job and not the low skilled job we're here with now. (Material Handler - 7452). Also, you can apply if you've worked here for a year as a temporary foreign worker, but I'm also assuming that this would be with a skilled NOC.

Does anyone have any advice on how we could go about this?

Also, because we're here on low skill TWP it means that I (as the spouse) can't work. Which is a nightmare. Any advice on that? Applying for jobs regularly, but need job offer, positive LMO etc to get work permit. This puts employers off - especially for office jobs.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:54 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice - turning TWP to PR

Originally Posted by Lloydies
We're in Alberta on a low skill TWP for 2 yrs. It says on the paperwork that we must leave Canada for 4 months at the end of this period before applying for another WP. We would like to stay and apply for PR, however, I've just been checking out the new rules and the 38 occupations. I would've been able to apply in my name and gained points for my brother being here and us being here on a TWP after 12 mths, but my NOC is not on the list now. It says in the new rules that you can apply if you have Arranged Employment, but I'm assuming this is for a skilled job and not the low skilled job we're here with now. (Material Handler - 7452). Also, you can apply if you've worked here for a year as a temporary foreign worker, but I'm also assuming that this would be with a skilled NOC.

Does anyone have any advice on how we could go about this?

Also, because we're here on low skill TWP it means that I (as the spouse) can't work. Which is a nightmare. Any advice on that? Applying for jobs regularly, but need job offer, positive LMO etc to get work permit. This puts employers off - especially for office jobs.
Yes unfortunately, although there are different ways to qualify for Skilled Worker (i.e. already working in Canada, Arranged employment, job on list of 38 etc), the requirements that are common to all of them are that:

- you must be a "skilled" worker, meaning you must have done a job for at least a year in skill level 0, A or B in the last 10 years

- you must meet the points score of 67 (and note you can't score points for experience either if your experience is not in skill level B or higher)

If you dont have the above there may be other options open to you such as Provincial Nominee Programs. Did you explore the Alberta PNP?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

Another strategy is to try to obtain a skilled job e.g. if your current employer will offer you a job at a higher level. It is true that will require a new LMO and wok permit, but at least then your wife will be able to work. It may be easier to do that than to obtain a new nomination from the Alberta PNP.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Yes unfortunately, although there are different ways to qualify for Skilled Worker (i.e. already working in Canada, Arranged employment, job on list of 38 etc), the requirements that are common to all of them are that:

- you must be a "skilled" worker, meaning you must have done a job for at least a year in skill level 0, A or B in the last 10 years

- you must meet the points score of 67 (and note you can't score points for experience either if your experience is not in skill level B or higher)

If you dont have the above there may be other options open to you such as Provincial Nominee Programs. Did you explore the Alberta PNP?
It seems that we're stuffed! The Alberta program doesn't specify the job category. It does cover Truck Driving which is what he'll be doing this year with the company, but that only specifies Long Distance and not short haul.

What if his job was changed and given another NOC by the employer? We could speak to the employer to see if they're willing to change the job title/description and get it approved by positive LMO from HRSDC and provide a permanent offer of employment.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron Liberman
Another strategy is to try to obtain a skilled job e.g. if your current employer will offer you a job at a higher level. It is true that will require a new LMO and wok permit, but at least then your wife will be able to work. It may be easier to do that than to obtain a new nomination from the Alberta PNP.
I was typing and brain storming at the same time as you posting this reply!!!

That's what I was thinking - employer maybe able to help us out somehow.