Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice on submitting PR application while job hunting

Advice on submitting PR application while job hunting

Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

ajhc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on submitting PR application while job hunting

Hi, Recently joined and have a quick question. May partner and I are planning to submit PR application this month, but we will both be looking for employment in hope of getting WP and then PR when there. What's the situation with submitting application now, then getting job - does the fact we have submitted application matter? Is it better to find a job and get a WP, then submit application for PR, or can we do either?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:00 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on submitting PR application while job hunting

Hi

Originally Posted by ajhc
Hi, Recently joined and have a quick question. May partner and I are planning to submit PR application this month, but we will both be looking for employment in hope of getting WP and then PR when there. What's the situation with submitting application now, then getting job - does the fact we have submitted application matter? Is it better to find a job and get a WP, then submit application for PR, or can we do either?

Thanks!
You would be submitting a SAP (Simplified Application) to London. If you were to receive either an AEO or an LMO with an approved work permit, then you could upgrade your application to a full one. There are other requirements, but that is basically it.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:34 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Thanks!
You should definitely apply for your PR regardless of you job situation. That way it can be in the queue whist you look for work. You can then always fall back on the PR application if you don't end up finding employment.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

ajhc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply posts - I will definently go ahead and put my application in while still looking for jobs.

Canada Jane - don't suppose you know what the PR and Marketing sector is like in Ontario? I've been told that there are plently of jobs around by someone in the Canadian Public RElations Associaition, so here's hoping!

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:21 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Thanks for your reply posts - I will definently go ahead and put my application in while still looking for jobs.

Canada Jane - don't suppose you know what the PR and Marketing sector is like in Ontario? I've been told that there are plently of jobs around by someone in the Canadian Public RElations Associaition, so here's hoping!

Thanks
There are jobs about, but like anything it is a case of where in Ontario - it is a big place. The most crucial thing here in Canada as a whole is networking when looking for jobs. It is very much a case of who you know not always what you know.

I work for myself and have joined local groups in order to get to know people which is always a good idea. Even if they are not the people you are needing to do business with, if they know someone and can refer you it goes a long way. You can also join groups before you come here such as networking groups like www.mymuchmor.com or www.linkedin.com.

You might try contacting organizations relevant to your field of work here in Canada to ask their advice and maybe get a rapport going so that you can use them to get referrals when you arrive. Likewise you could even contact companies you want to work for with a view to forming a relationship with them in the hope that they might offer you work.

I cannot stress how important networking is here. You could apply for a job with a company and not even get an answer, but if someone you know recommends you for the same position you could be working there by the end of the week. It really is that important.

Good luck
Jane