Advice on Sponsor forms

Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

simon-n-Suzanne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Advice on Sponsor forms

They don't need passport as long as they have citizenship cards and have a brit passport. I lived in Canada the whole time with only a brit passport and my cit card and I was in and out of the country a lot, never had a problem.

Suzanne
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you again for the responses. This site is proving to be the best find of this whole process.

Our plans initially were to try and move next summer. Getting my head around waiting for the application to complete, selling house, finding a job, buying a new house all within a short period of time was very daunting. I now have a better understanding of this process.

From what I have read, we have upto 1 year after the date of the medical to "land" in Canada and activate my PR status. Once landed, I can still go back to England and get on with the business of selling house and looking for a new job in Canada.

If this is right, we should just send the forms off as soon as possible. If we get the forms back sooner than expected, I could go do the "landing" in April/May time and then have a couple of months job hunting, sorting stuff out etc, before actually moving in August.

Does this sound reasonable/viable? Is there a flaw in this plan?

Thanks,
Imy
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:23 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It is best for them to exercise their Canadian citizenship upon entry to Canada. Simple, straightforward and sensible way to avoid unnecessary questions and delays at the border. Thus using Canadian passports is the better way.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
It is best for them to exercise their Canadian citizenship upon entry to Canada. Simple, straightforward and sensible way to avoid unnecessary questions and delays at the border. Thus using Canadian passports is the better way.
OK, I see you are saying we are better off taking the children to Canada with Canadian passports. Should I get their passports before I send off the sponsorship/PR forms? Or could we do both in parallel?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:58 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You can do both in parallel.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again,

A couple more questions.

Sponsorship form IMM5540, question 11 - Are you currently living in Canada? The answer for us is "No". The bit I am asking about is "Provide proof of your intention to re-establish in Canada. Attach photocopies of one or more of the following document(s), as applicable,"

We cannot tick any of the options. The only thing I am able to do is explain our circumstances and that I think my job prospects are good. Do you have any suggestions for this question? I guess, as sponsor, this question is aimed at my wife. I could do with some help with this one.

Next question is on form IMM5490, question 8 "Do you have family members or other relatives (i.e. aunt, uncle, cousin, etc.) living in Canada?

Should I list every single adult aunt, uncle and cousin I have in Canada? The list is long. I was thinking of sticking to one person per household. Would this do? Or should I not be lazy and just put them all down!

Thanks again for the help.

Imy
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by abaddon
Sponsorship form IMM5540, question 11 - Are you currently living in Canada? The answer for us is "No". The bit I am asking about is "Provide proof of your intention to re-establish in Canada. Attach photocopies of one or more of the following document(s), as applicable,"

We cannot tick any of the options. The only thing I am able to do is explain our circumstances and that I think my job prospects are good. Do you have any suggestions for this question? I guess, as sponsor, this question is aimed at my wife. I could do with some help with this one.
Sorry. Discovered the wonderful search facility on the forum and have found lots of good suggestions for this one.

I wouldn't mind some feedback on the second question though. Is it to my advantage to list as many relatives as possible? Would it cause me a problem if I didn't include someone?

Thanks,
Imy
Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

dan_nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simon-n-Suzanne
Hi Matt

I am a British born Canadian citizen but have been living with my spouse in the UK for several years, we have two kids, both born in the UK but they have Canadian citizenship due to my status. I sponsored my Hubby about 7 months ago and his visa landed a few weeks back! Don't worry too much about spousal proof, a wedding photo, some friends names who have known you both a while etc anything that would prove you are not married to gain citizenship. We didn't provide much as to us it seemed obvious and we did not justify it either. I would send off for your childs citizenship card though, as it does take a little time, I think ours took about 5 months each time. The forms are fun aren't they!!!

Suzanne
Hi Suzanne

I note your good advice given ref sponsorship earlier this month. I am pretty much in the same situation as you were with the exception that my spouse sponsor was born in canada. We have been married and in UK for 18 years and have already applied for citizenship for our 17 year old son. We are hoping to land as a family in canada in Dec 09 and am encouraged by the fact it only took 7 months for your husbands visa. Can I ask you or anyone else is it necessary to send the visa application, medical and policel clearance at the same time or can they be sent seperate. I assume that because medical certs are only valid for 12 months and ploice certs 3 -6 that they can be all done seperate. is this correct??

Dan
Old Oct 25th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Dan

We sent my application to sponsor and the visa app for hubby with all the police checks and medical at the same time. We sent the whole lot to Canada and then they forwarded the complete visa app to London. I am not sure if you can do things separately?! I know that the general advice was that if you did not enclose everything it would slow down you application as the embassy would have to contact you for it. My oh was contacted for a police check for one of the countries he had lived in as we had not enclosed it and it did slow things down a bit but no much. Don't forget that once the visa arrives and they give you x months to take up your residency, you can go to Canada (for a few days), claim your perm residence and then come back to the UK to tie up lose ends, you can take quite a bit of time to do that. Where are you headed in Canada?

Hope this helps

Suzanne
Old Oct 26th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Suzanne

Thanks for getting back I am new to these forum things and had not realised you had replied. Please ignore the new thread sent this morning as it is the same question I was not sure that the other one would get to you.

My wife is from Medicine Hat but we are planning to move to Kelowna (BC) and are really excited about it. I am still a little confused, do you think the following scenario will work? I should have my visa application,PR application, my souses sponsorship forms, my police cert and medical all ready by the end of Jan. It is my intention to then send it all off together and hope to land in Canada in Dec 09. By that time I will have approx 1 month validility on my medical but my police cert will be about 10 months old. I am under the impression that PR will take longer than my visa. Does this all sound about right, are my time frames ok or do you think I am leaving it all a bit tight. I will not be in a position to land any earlier than mid Dec 09 as I am serving in the Armed Forces. If by any chance they were not through in time for Dec 09 do you know where that would leave me? Loads of questions I know - sorry!

Danny
Old Oct 26th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Danny

your timescales seem pretty sensible. I would put the whole lot in the post together if you can as any deviation from the norm will slow down the process. If you mail it in Jan there is a very good chance you will be approved by Dec09. If that is the case, you will be sent a visa that tells you you must go to Canada by x date (one year from your medical). If you still have UK commitments that need sorting, you can go get a permanent residency card in Canada and then return to the UK. As long as you are back in Canada residing there for (I think - 2 out of the next 5 years) you will maintain your perm res status. If you are in a position to go for good, great, easy on you guys. I am not sure on the deal if the visa isn't through, there are some threads about this, I think some go over and then re enter through Canada when the visa turns up. If everything is straight forward I would think that you will have your visa in time anyway. Re still being paid by the Army, no probs there but check the tax situation out, I am way not qualified to comment on that!!!! OH earns, I spend!!! My OH was posted in Med Hat when we met! Small old world A!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Advice on Sponsor forms

Thankyou Suzanne I will send it all together early Jan 09. Medical will still be eligible and I guess worst case scenario I will have to spend a few pound to get another police cert (if expired). Small price to pay I think.

Fingers Crossed

Dan
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Dan

Don't forget to send police certs for every country you have lived in. Good luck, keep me posted and I'll do the same with were we are! OH off to reccy and get PR status next month!!! Scary
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Suzanne

Thanks! I was planning on getting a police cert for UK (as this covers Northern Ireland) and Germany. Was not going to bother with temp tours overseas such as Bosnia I think I only did approx 5 & 1/2 months at a time and never left the Army base. Can't see there being a requirement for tours do you?

Dan
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Dan

Doubt it, should be fine. You may need something from the military police too, to say that your record is clear. Good luck!

Suzanne