Advice on Sponsor forms

Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

mcapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Sponsor forms

Hi All,

I apologise if these are often asked questions but i cannot find any other threads that help or the right info at the cic website.

We are just in the process of completing the forms for spousal sponsorship. My wife is Canadian. I have been looking through the various questions asked about us and our relationship and the types of evidence it requires. It seems we need to show telephone bills, old correspondance, proof of trips taken, photos etc. The thing is we have been together for about 8 years in total, married for just over 3 years and have a two year old daughter and after all this time i don't really have any of the above lying around. I have never kept anything like that. I can find a few photos but that is about it. Is this really going to make things difficult with our application?

Secondly, our daughter is entitled to candian citizenship. But initially should we just include her in the PR application as british and the pursue her citizenship once settled in canada, or do we have to have her citizenship sorted before the PR application can be sent? I hope that makes sense!

Thanks
Matt.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:22 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Sponsor forms

If you are married and cohabiting then a few photos of your wedding and the fact of your child should suffice. Your daughter's citizenship should be clarified now. Do not include her in your application except on the form listing your parents children and siblings. She does not belong in the IMM0008.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If you are married and cohabiting then a few photos of your wedding and the fact of your child should suffice. Your daughter's citizenship should be clarified now. Do not include her in your application except on the form listing your parents children and siblings. She does not belong in the IMM0008.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes we are cohabiting. We have owned our own home with a joint mortgage for over 5 years.

So, are you saying that my daughters citizenship has to be clarified before we can complete our spousal sponsorship application?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:10 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you can leave it for later but I would not mention her on your application as a non-citizen because she would then have to undergo the medical and in effect would be exercising her non-Canadian citizenship on entry to Canada. She could travel with you as a UK(?) citizen and the situation could be explained at that point including a promise to get it in writing as soon as practicable. My preference would be to get her a Canadian passport before you go.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I am sure you can leave it for later but I would not mention her on your application as a non-citizen because she would then have to undergo the medical and in effect would be exercising her non-Canadian citizenship on entry to Canada. She could travel with you as a UK(?) citizen and the situation could be explained at that point including a promise to get it in writing as soon as practicable. My preference would be to get her a Canadian passport before you go.
Thanks Jim,

I think it sounds best that we just send off for her citizenship then. She already has a british passport, i guess we just put details for both passports down in the forms? I was quoted about 8 months for her application to be processed is this still about right?

RE my first question, should i include notes expaining what evidence i don't have avaible or just fill out the forms and send what i can?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

simon-n-Suzanne is on a distinguished road

Hi Matt

I am a British born Canadian citizen but have been living with my spouse in the UK for several years, we have two kids, both born in the UK but they have Canadian citizenship due to my status. I sponsored my Hubby about 7 months ago and his visa landed a few weeks back! Don't worry too much about spousal proof, a wedding photo, some friends names who have known you both a while etc anything that would prove you are not married to gain citizenship. We didn't provide much as to us it seemed obvious and we did not justify it either. I would send off for your childs citizenship card though, as it does take a little time, I think ours took about 5 months each time. The forms are fun aren't they!!!

Suzanne
Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simon-n-Suzanne
Hi Matt

I am a British born Canadian citizen but have been living with my spouse in the UK for several years, we have two kids, both born in the UK but they have Canadian citizenship due to my status. I sponsored my Hubby about 7 months ago and his visa landed a few weeks back! Don't worry too much about spousal proof, a wedding photo, some friends names who have known you both a while etc anything that would prove you are not married to gain citizenship. We didn't provide much as to us it seemed obvious and we did not justify it either. I would send off for your childs citizenship card though, as it does take a little time, I think ours took about 5 months each time. The forms are fun aren't they!!!

Suzanne
Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for your helpful post. Along with Jims posts it has made things a little more clear for me!. Oh the forms sure are fun!

Did you sort out your childrens' citizenship before sponsoring your husband?

Matt.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Sorry it's been a while ... teccy problems ... don't ask. Yes I did sort the girls citizenship cards a while before applying to sponsor but I don't think it matters, there's was a foregone conclusion as they are entitled. The sponsoring bit and the visa for hubby was the worry we had. But I think we are in a lucky position as long as you show your not a criminal or majorly ill, they will let you reside with your Canadian partner. I think!!!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All, this is my first post. I also need some advice on the sponsorship/immigration forms and hope it's ok to ask in this thread instead of starting a new one.

First some background. My wife was born and grew up in Canada, I am British born. We were married in Canada in 1997 and moved to England. We have 3 children, all born in England. We now want to move to Canada.

The elder 2 children are Canadian citizens - they have Canadian citizenship cards, but only British passports. We have sent off the citizenship forms for the youngest, so that is in progress.

The question I have is on where to include the children on the forms. I have not included the children on imm0008 as they are Canadian citizens. Do we need to include them on IMM1344EA in Section C? Initially I thought not, but after reading everything again, I think we need to. Please help.

Following on from that. If we include them on IMM1344EA (Section C), then do we need to pay processing fees for them? ($150 x 3).

Next some general questions. My wife is currently not working. From what I have read. I am pretty sure that she does not need to show that, as sponsor, she can support the whole family - I am just looking for reassurance - am I right?

Although she is not working at the moment. She is still officially employed by the NHS and can work any hours if she wants to. Is there benefit to showing this employment? Or should we just say that she is a housewife? (don't like using the term unemployed!).

mcapper, I think we are doing more or less the same thing. We should keep in touch and compare notes.

Sorry for the long post. Hope somebody can help. Thanks.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 3:08 pm

The children are not to be sponsored so do not belong in that form. They are mentioned in the Supplementary Family Information form of course. Housewife is the proper term, not unemployed. I am sure most wives would agree that they are not unemployed!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

abaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond reputeabaddon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick response. So I will not include the children in 1344A.

Unfortunately, the form IMM5481 has two options: Employed or Unemployed - she's not too thrilled about being down as Unemployed!

Am I right in thinking that for Spouse sponsorship, my wife does not need to show that she can support the family financially?

Thanks again.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi abandon (sorry, didn't get your real name!) I am the canadian wife too and we just showed that we had joint funds, don't think they cared though, your wife and 3 canadian citizen children will be enough! Once you send the whole pack off to Canada they will check your wife is good to sponsor, then forward the rest to London, thats where the time takes. OH has his visa now but it took a about 5 months. They are pretty used to the sponsor OH bit though so I wouldn't worry too much.

Suzanne
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the responses. No doubt I will be posting again to bug you all for help. We are working our way through the forms - taking our time at the moment.

Just read the thread on "Landing" and has given me some great info. I have started to do some job hunting, but there really is no point until much closer to landing - or even once I have landed.

Thanks,
Imy
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

petesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nicepetesdragon is just really nice

Hi abbadon, am going the same route, married to a canadian lady, 3 kids going to London next week to drop of the latest one's citizenship application paperwork, get that, then sort out passport for him, then get round to sorting out my emigration application, so I too will be posting questions regarding forms etc so best of luck
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Interesting to hear about passports. Should I also get Canadian passports for the children before we move? If yes, why? They have citizenship (2 do and 1 application in progress), but no passports yet. Interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks,
Imy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.