Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice required re: long stay in Canada

Wikiposts

Advice required re: long stay in Canada

Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:46 am
Just Joined

BurnleyPete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice required re: long stay in Canada

Hello.
I'm 22 and my current employer is retireing and I want to take the opportunity of staying in canada for 6 months before getting a new job. I'm currently a UK resident and awaiting an immigration application to be decided, however i'm not expecting to hear anything untill I'd get back (said 15 months on the registration card). What i'd like to know is:
1) Can i rent an apartment without having a Canadian social security number
2) Can i buy and legally drive a car in Canada while there
3) Will my pending Immigration Application affect my staying there for that long?
Many thanks for your help.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:45 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice required re: long stay in Canada

You can't stay without valid status, period. It is unlikely that CIC will extend your stay for that long. If you do stay illegally you will put in danger your PR application.

Originally Posted by BurnleyPete
Hello.
I'm 22 and my current employer is retireing and I want to take the opportunity of staying in canada for 6 months before getting a new job. I'm currently a UK resident and awaiting an immigration application to be decided, however i'm not expecting to hear anything untill I'd get back (said 15 months on the registration card). What i'd like to know is:
3) Will my pending Immigration Application affect my staying there for that long?
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:54 am
Just Joined

BurnleyPete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You can't stay without valid status, period. It is unlikely that CIC will extend your stay for that long. If you do stay illegally you will put in danger your PR application.
I am currently in UK, my job is in UK, i would effetivley be having an extended holiday in Canada but obviously need somewhere to stay and some means of getting around. Is a holiday not considered "valid status" under these circumstances or is it because i'm awaiting PR status
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:46 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

What valid status means is the period of admission granted (and it's conditions) - you may be admitted as visitor for a max of 6 months. Officer at the port of entry will make decide how long admission you'll be given - it may be anything from 1 day to 6 months - based on several factors. Fact that you have PR application in process won't be helping here.

I am currently in UK, my job is in UK, i would effetivley be having an extended holiday in Canada but obviously need somewhere to stay and some means of getting around. Is a holiday not considered "valid status" under these circumstances or is it because i'm awaiting PR status
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello.
With regard to renting, I have a suite that I rent out and the management company I use often rent to newly-landed Brits who don't have SINs or in many cases job offers. It may not be the norm but if you search around and can prove you can pay the rental you may be able to find a company that will rent to you. If you happen to be going to Calgary and want their name, send me a PM.

As for the car I think you need a canadian license to buy - may be wrong on that though. You'll need to swap your license/do a driving test (depends on which province you're going to) after 3 months anyway as your british one is only valid for that length of time.

Good luck

Biiiiink