Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice for remote-working British citizen visiting Canada

Advice for remote-working British citizen visiting Canada

Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

salted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for remote-working British citizen visiting Canada

Hello all,

I am a British citizen and hoping to visit Canada for 6 months or more. My girlfriend (a US citizen) will also be travelling to Canada. She's eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program, so that's not a problem.

My questions relate to myself, and my eligibility for a Canadian stay. I run a three-person software company here in the UK (incorporated as a limited company). I would like to continue to work for this company remotely whilst in Canada. From previous advice on the forum and wiki, I understand that this will not be considered "work", therefore I will not require a Canadian work permit, and can visit under a regular tourist visa.

I intend to live in Toronto with my girlfriend and visit my aunt and uncle there. I'll also visit Montreal and take a ski-ing trip. Throughout this time I'll be doing remote work for my company in the UK. I'll have cash savings of around $15,000 (Canadian). I've visited Canada 5 times in the past few years. After this trip to Canada my girlfriend and I intend to return to the UK to live.

My ideal itinerary is the following:
- Arrive in Canada October 2008
- Visit the US in early December
- Return to the UK for the Christmas holiday
- Fly back to Canada in late December

Here are my questions:
1. Is the above itinerary likely to cause any problems?
2. How long would I be entitled to stay in Canada from late December onwards? 6 months? Or will my previous visit eat into my time?
3. Can you give me any advice for the documentation I should carry with me when arriving in Canada, to show proof that I intend to return to the UK, or anything else they might want to see?

One final note: I was recently refused a US B1 visitor visa on the grounds that I would continue to operate my business from the US. I'm not sure if this will affect anything immigration-wise in Canada?

Thank you very much indeed, in advance, for any advice you can give!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Advice for remote-working British citizen visiting Canada

Originally Posted by salted
Hello all,

I am a British citizen and hoping to visit Canada for 6 months or more. My girlfriend (a US citizen) will also be travelling to Canada. She's eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program, so that's not a problem.

My questions relate to myself, and my eligibility for a Canadian stay. I run a three-person software company here in the UK (incorporated as a limited company). I would like to continue to work for this company remotely whilst in Canada. From previous advice on the forum and wiki, I understand that this will not be considered "work", therefore I will not require a Canadian work permit, and can visit under a regular tourist visa.

I intend to live in Toronto with my girlfriend and visit my aunt and uncle there. I'll also visit Montreal and take a ski-ing trip. Throughout this time I'll be doing remote work for my company in the UK. I'll have cash savings of around $15,000 (Canadian). I've visited Canada 5 times in the past few years. After this trip to Canada my girlfriend and I intend to return to the UK to live.

My ideal itinerary is the following:
- Arrive in Canada October 2008
- Visit the US in early December
- Return to the UK for the Christmas holiday
- Fly back to Canada in late December

Here are my questions:
1. Is the above itinerary likely to cause any problems?
2. How long would I be entitled to stay in Canada from late December onwards? 6 months? Or will my previous visit eat into my time?
3. Can you give me any advice for the documentation I should carry with me when arriving in Canada, to show proof that I intend to return to the UK, or anything else they might want to see?

One final note: I was recently refused a US B1 visitor visa on the grounds that I would continue to operate my business from the US. I'm not sure if this will affect anything immigration-wise in Canada?

Thank you very much indeed, in advance, for any advice you can give!
Your itineary should show a return ticket to the UK even if you are visiting the US. Also when u return to Canada in late december it wont eat into your previous stay, ie u will get a new 6 months visa stamp in yr passport but again you have to proof ties back in the UK ie show proof that you will return to the Uk after your tourist vist.

I hope someone will come and n throw more light on this but i think you should be fine.

good luck