Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice re: sponsorship/relocation?

Advice re: sponsorship/relocation?

Old Jan 26th 2005, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

scotty71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice re: sponsorship/relocation?

I wonder if anyone here can help clarify a few things. My brain hurts here trying to digest info from various forums and the Canadian immigration site!

I am a UK citizen with a Canadian partner(not married but we have lived here together in the UK for the last two and a half years). My partner is working here at present on a 4 year ancestry visa which runs out in June 2006. We would like to settle in Canada but can't quite figure out the easiest/least time consuming way to achieve this.

It appears that it would be possible for my partner to sponsor me to settle in Canada, but looking at the forms it doesn't seem very straightforward doing that from this end. For instance the forms ask for where we intend to settle in Canada and to some extent that would depend where my partner got a job! (She's a nurse so getting a job isn't likely to be too difficult, with 20 years Canadian experience in hospital and public health work, as well as practice nurse experience here.) Obviously she could get a job in Canada with me staying here, and then sponsor me from there but we don't really want to be apart again!

If she were to get a job in Canada, is it feasible for me to go to Canada with her and then to apply for permanent residence from there, whilst initially being there on a visitor's visa. And what would happen if the process, as seems likely, takes longer than 6 months. Could I return to the UK for a few weeks and then return to Canda? Or could I renew my vistor's visa? Not being able to work for some time hopefully wouldn't be too much of a problem - to be honest some time off after 25 years of teaching would be welcome..:-)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you leave Canada whilst in the process of applying for PR, then there could be problems getting back into the country? Is this true?

The other thing I read was of the concept of dual intent, which if I understand it correctly, means that on entry into Canada, I would have to tell immigration that I was intending to apply for PR, whilst being a visitor. Has anyone on here ever done that? Would there be a chance that they would refuse me entry if I were to tell them that?

If we were to go for the option of my partner getting a job in Canada first with me staying here whilst applying for PR, would there be restricions on me visiting Canada in the meantime?

Apologies that this is a little long, but I would be grateful for any help/advice from anyone on here.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jonny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice re: sponsorship/relocation?

Originally Posted by scotty71
I wonder if anyone here can help clarify a few things. My brain hurts here trying to digest info from various forums and the Canadian immigration site!

I am a UK citizen with a Canadian partner(not married but we have lived here together in the UK for the last two and a half years). My partner is working here at present on a 4 year ancestry visa which runs out in June 2006. We would like to settle in Canada but can't quite figure out the easiest/least time consuming way to achieve this.

It appears that it would be possible for my partner to sponsor me to settle in Canada, but looking at the forms it doesn't seem very straightforward doing that from this end. For instance the forms ask for where we intend to settle in Canada and to some extent that would depend where my partner got a job! (She's a nurse so getting a job isn't likely to be too difficult, with 20 years Canadian experience in hospital and public health work, as well as practice nurse experience here.) Obviously she could get a job in Canada with me staying here, and then sponsor me from there but we don't really want to be apart again!

If she were to get a job in Canada, is it feasible for me to go to Canada with her and then to apply for permanent residence from there, whilst initially being there on a visitor's visa. And what would happen if the process, as seems likely, takes longer than 6 months. Could I return to the UK for a few weeks and then return to Canda? Or could I renew my vistor's visa? Not being able to work for some time hopefully wouldn't be too much of a problem - to be honest some time off after 25 years of teaching would be welcome..:-)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you leave Canada whilst in the process of applying for PR, then there could be problems getting back into the country? Is this true?

The other thing I read was of the concept of dual intent, which if I understand it correctly, means that on entry into Canada, I would have to tell immigration that I was intending to apply for PR, whilst being a visitor. Has anyone on here ever done that? Would there be a chance that they would refuse me entry if I were to tell them that?

If we were to go for the option of my partner getting a job in Canada first with me staying here whilst applying for PR, would there be restricions on me visiting Canada in the meantime?

Apologies that this is a little long, but I would be grateful for any help/advice from anyone on here.
Apply via the common-law partner route from the UK, this will take around 6 months from start to finish (as long as your application is straightforward and complete). Include as much supporting documents as possible to prove your common-law status, such as joint tenancy agreement, joint bank account statements etc. Include your medical, police check and landing fees. The question about where you intend to settle is just for information purposes and you can just put where your partner's family is for the moment and then go anywhere when your partner gets a job (except quebec of course).

Once you have applied from the UK and sent your application to Mississuaga, you can then either stay in the UK until it is completed, or if you are desperate to get to Canada you can always enter Canada as a visitor, explaining on the way in that you have an application for PR in process (as a visitor you must show you have sufficient funds for your stay and a return flight home - even if you don't end up using the return half). This is unlikley to be a problem, and is in fact what I did. They will freely let you in or out of the country with no problems (as a tourist). Just remember that until your PR comes through you have to satisfy Canadian immigration at the border that you are genuine and will need to show funds/return flights etc each time. The only issue is that you cannot work in Canada as a visitor until your PR comes through. If you are in Canada by the time your PR is granted, you can just fedex your passport to the CHC in london, who will fedex it back to you. Then you can just drive to the border (or fly home again if you really want to) and when you return to Canada you can officially land, apply for a SIN number and get a job and live happily ever after.

I've just done all that, so if you have any more questions, I should be able to help with those too.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by Jonny; Jan 26th 2005 at 5:34 am.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jonny
Apply via the common-law partner route from the UK, this will take around 6 months from start to finish (as long as your application is straightforward and complete). Include as much supporting documents as possible to prove your common-law status, such as joint tenancy agreement, joint bank account statements etc. Include your medical, police check and landing fees. The question about where you intend to settle is just for information purposes and you can just put where your partner's family is for the moment and then go anywhere when your partner gets a job (except quebec of course).

Once you have applied from the UK and sent your application to Mississuaga, you can then either stay in the UK until it is completed, or if you are desperate to get to Canada you can always enter Canada as a visitor, explaining on the way in that you have an application for PR in process (as a visitor you must show you have sufficient funds for your stay and a return flight home - even if you don't end up using the return half). This is unlikley to be a problem, and is in fact what I did. They will freely let you in or out of the country with no problems (as a tourist). Just remember that until your PR comes through you have to satisfy Canadian immigration at the border that you are genuine and will need to show funds/return flights etc each time. The only issue is that you cannot work in Canada as a visitor until your PR comes through. If you are in Canada by the time your PR is granted, you can just fedex your passport to the CHC in london, who will fedex it back to you. Then you can just drive to the border (or fly home again if you really want to) and when you return to Canada you can officially land, apply for a SIN number and get a job and live happily ever after.

I've just done all that, so if you have any more questions, I should be able to help with those too.

Hope that helps...
Thanks for that reply, Jonny. That answers some of my questions, though I'm sure others will come up! One thing that strikes me at the moment is whether my partner can sponsor me while she is working here? Or does she have to have a Canadian job before we can start the process?
Old Jan 26th 2005, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that reply, Jonny. That answers some of my questions, though I'm sure others will come up! One thing that strikes me at the moment is whether my partner can sponsor me while she is working here? Or does she have to have a Canadian job before we can start the process?
She can sponsor you from the UK while you are both there, there is no need for her to have job in Canada before you apply. To show intentions just write a letter that says you intend to relocate to Canada once PR is granted. One trick that we used is to get a 6 month "rental agreement" drawn up between you and her parents that says they are happy to let you live there on your return.

I don't think you even have to show that she has a job right now, but I think we included payslips in the application for their info anyway, better to send too much than not enough.
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jonny
She can sponsor you from the UK while you are both there, there is no need for her to have job in Canada before you apply. To show intentions just write a letter that says you intend to relocate to Canada once PR is granted. One trick that we used is to get a 6 month "rental agreement" drawn up between you and her parents that says they are happy to let you live there on your return.

I don't think you even have to show that she has a job right now, but I think we included payslips in the application for their info anyway, better to send too much than not enough.
Thanks .. oh and BTW .. why did you say earlier "except Quebec of course" .. not that we were thinking of Quebec ..;-) Just curious ..

We were actually thinking of Nova Scotia initially .. though partner is from Ontario .. she likes snow tho ..lol
Old Jan 26th 2005, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks .. oh and BTW .. why did you say earlier "except Quebec of course" .. not that we were thinking of Quebec ..;-) Just curious ..

We were actually thinking of Nova Scotia initially .. though partner is from Ontario .. she likes snow tho ..lol
If you want to go to Quebec you have to submit a separate provincial application as well... So if you don't fill that in, you can't go to Quebec and live/work.

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...lies/step.html