Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice re obtaining work expeirence for Canadian experience

Advice re obtaining work expeirence for Canadian experience

Old Jan 20th 2022, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

sushilover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice re obtaining work expeirence for Canadian experience

Hello everyone.

I've posted on these boards in the past, previously I was hoping to come over to Canada by virtue of being married to my husband who wanted to apply for an intra company transfer. To cut a long story short, the business here in England is not as healthy financially as it should be meaning applying at the moment is likely to be pointless.

I'm in the EE pool, but only have 439 points and I'm about to hit my next birthday, meaning I will lose points. I know 439 is not good, but having a PhD I cant bump my score anymore, and my husband has little in the way of qualifications - he has always been self employed in the past.

I am an academic at a UK university. A possible opportunity has come about where I could go over for 12 months to represent my institution at a Canadian institution we are partnered with. My question is, would 12 months as a visiting professor give me the 12 months WE need to be able to stand a chance in the Canadian experience class section? This would give me an additional 50 points I believe. I would still be employed by the English institution however - so wondering if there is a caveat over that. I really hope not, as I feel as if I am grasping at straws at the moment. Does anyone know off the top of their head if doing this would satisfy Canadian work experience requirements?

Thank you and happy new year to you all.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 11:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re obtaining work expeirence for Canadian experience

I'm afraid I'm going to sound like a broken record and ask why your husband isn't applying under the SE route? I'm sorry to ask again, but as mentioned previously, that would be the easiest route over by a mile so before faffing around with other visa options and working out if you stand any chance, it would be good to know why that route has been discounted.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi there,

It’s the time. We have been told it’s at least three years to get in that way and I’m 40 next year. We just want to get on with it as soon as possible you know? We actually asked about this the other week (to the lawyer who was helping my husband with the ITC) and they said even 3 years is optimistic in terms of wait time. So to be blunt, it’s just the time.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sushilover
Hi there,

It’s the time. We have been told it’s at least three years to get in that way and I’m 40 next year. We just want to get on with it as soon as possible you know? We actually asked about this the other week (to the lawyer who was helping my husband with the ITC) and they said even 3 years is optimistic in terms of wait time. So to be blunt, it’s just the time.
If they're the same lawyers you used before, I'd not pay too much attention to what they say tbh. As mentioned previously, 3 years is the average, but that includes people from much less straightforward backgrounds, most Brits get it sooner. This forum member has applied the most recently (that I can find anyway), total of 15 months from start to finish - https://britishexpats.com/forum/memb...srobbo-290526/. Of course there would be no guarantee that you'd get it sooner, but personally I'd say it's worth you applying for asap, at least then it could be running along in the background of any other visa route you take. Just think, even if it did take 3 years, you'd be a year in to that wait time now if you'd applied this time last year……..so maybe worth looking at getting underway as your Plan B. Remember you can withdraw your app and get your fees back right up until they start processing it too, if you did find a quicker way to PR.

It's going to take you at least a couple of years to get PR anyway if you need to do a year's work experience first. You won't be able to apply for PR until you've done your year in Canada from what you've said, so then will have to come back to the UK to wait for it (unless you can extend your work permit, but sounds like it's for a fixed term of a year?). Much more cost and hassle and I'm struggling to see the advantage over a more straightforward and secure route to PR, even if it does take a little bit longer.

But if you really don't want to pursue that route, then what visa would you be on in your year working for the university?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 20th 2022 at 12:34 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2022, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Christmas, I've relayed the idea back to my husband. It is probably going to be a good idea to pursue that route too - the more irons in the fire I suppose. But, re the 12 month thing, it would be a work permit visa; here's what Canada Government says;

Visiting professors may be issued work permits pursuant to R205(b), C22. They are people working for a period of not more than two academic years to take a position with a post-secondary institution and who retain their position abroad. Visiting professors may also include those on sabbatical who are doing collaborative research with a Canadian post-secondary institution.

Old Jan 22nd 2022, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If they're the same lawyers you used before, I'd not pay too much attention to what they say tbh. As mentioned previously, 3 years is the average, but that includes people from much less straightforward backgrounds, most Brits get it sooner. This forum member has applied the most recently (that I can find anyway), total of 15 months from start to finish - https://britishexpats.com/forum/memb...srobbo-290526/. Of course there would be no guarantee that you'd get it sooner, but personally I'd say it's worth you applying for asap, at least then it could be running along in the background of any other visa route you take. Just think, even if it did take 3 years, you'd be a year in to that wait time now if you'd applied this time last year……..so maybe worth looking at getting underway as your Plan B. Remember you can withdraw your app and get your fees back right up until they start processing it too, if you did find a quicker way to PR.

It's going to take you at least a couple of years to get PR anyway if you need to do a year's work experience first. You won't be able to apply for PR until you've done your year in Canada from what you've said, so then will have to come back to the UK to wait for it (unless you can extend your work permit, but sounds like it's for a fixed term of a year?). Much more cost and hassle and I'm struggling to see the advantage over a more straightforward and secure route to PR, even if it does take a little bit longer.

But if you really don't want to pursue that route, then what visa would you be on in your year working for the university?
Hi Christmas,

We have been looking into the self employed route. The problem is going to be with the questions they ask with regards to financials such as assets. Yes, we would be able to show proof of funds for maintaining ourselves in Canada for a year, but we don't have any assets or savings - surely this is going to look pretty negative to an immigration officer?