Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice re best way to get PR for elderly mother-in-law.

Advice re best way to get PR for elderly mother-in-law.

Old Jul 7th 2022, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

DCoplin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice re best way to get PR for elderly mother-in-law.

Hi everyone, I could use some advice in regards to the best way to sponsor my elderly mother-in-law for PR when we return to Canada.

Here’s the situation:

There’s four of us, me, my wife, our son (16) and my mother-in-law (93). We’re all UK citizens and in addition both my son and I are naturalised Canadian citizens. My mother-in-law has lived with us for the past 10 years and although she’s pretty independent, we are her primary carers. She’s fine in the house but she needs us to take her anywhere else she needs to go. She couldn’t live on her own and so our issue is either we all go together or we can’t go at all.

Our ideal plan would be to use the opportunity of our son starting university to be the best time for us to move back to Canada. He’d be due to start in September 2024 (although we could delay by a year if we needed to buy some extra time) and the aim would be to get him into a Canadian university and then we’d move somewhere nearby.

Getting my wife PR seems a straightforward (if somewhat lengthy) process and one I can start while we’re still in the UK.

But I can’t figure out how/if I can get my mother-in-law there too? I initially thought my son could sponsor her as she's his grandmother, but if I understand correctly, he’d have to be 18 and living in Canada first. Assuming I then have to wait for processing (currently 34 months I think) that means it would be almost 3 years after moving out before she could come out to join us – clearly that’s not going to be possible.

Could anyone confirm if my understanding is correct or better yet if there’s a different approach to the situation that might get us what we need?

Thanks so much for your time and help!
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice re best way to get PR for elderly mother-in-law.

Hi, welcome to BE.

You're correct on your wife, that's pretty straightforward (although wouldn't have PR by Sept 2024 going on current processing timescales, so your son may well need to delay his uni entry if you all want to move together).

Your MIL is more complicated, your wife could sponsor her once a PR but unfortunately won't be eligible to do so until she's got 3 years worth of income from Canadian sources, so by the time you've waited for that and then processing, you're looking at around 7 years in total before she could move (and that's if your wife got lucky in the parent sponsorship lottery system). The same would apply to your son sponsoring her, but if he'll be a student he's not likely to earn enough to sponsor her anyway.

You could look at a supervisa for her in the interim? It's the only other option for your MIL unfortunately. IIRC the income requirement for supervises doesn't have to be from Canadian sources, but I'd have to double check that to be sure.

I'm afraid that there is no way of you all moving together, whichever route you look at you'd have to be in Canada to apply for her.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 7th 2022 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for such a quick answer, really much appreciated!

You've confirmed what I was worried about, although I hadn't thought about the Super Visa. Having quickly looked at that it seems that the only problem with the SuperVisa approach is that (assuming she's still with us) she'd be 100 (!) by the time it ran out, and I don't think it would be right to force her to relocate again...

Time for some creative thinking I guess. Thanks again for your help!
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DCoplin
Thanks so much for such a quick answer, really much appreciated!

You've confirmed what I was worried about, although I hadn't thought about the Super Visa. Having quickly looked at that it seems that the only problem with the SuperVisa approach is that (assuming she's still with us) she'd be 100 (!) by the time it ran out, and I don't think it would be right to force her to relocate again...

Time for some creative thinking I guess. Thanks again for your help!
Another problem with the Super Visa is healthcare. You must purchase healthcare insurance from a Canadian company. It will most likely only cover emergencies, ie not long lasting treatment, annual flu shots, etc.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Another problem with the Super Visa is healthcare..
Thanks! That was going to be my next question after I'd figured out if it was even possible...
Old Jul 7th 2022, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Another problem with the Super Visa is healthcare. You must purchase healthcare insurance from a Canadian company.
That's actually changed now, no requirement for it to be from a Canadian company. Although as you say, there's lots it wouldn't cover, so extra insurance would be needed, and I can't imagine it would be cheap for a 95ish year old.

OP, it's possible that your MIL could extend the SV, although of course as it's a temporary visa there's no guarantee of that. But in all honesty I think it's a non starter if you don't want to leave her alone, as she has to apply for it from outside Canada, and you have to be inside Canada when she does.

I would suggest you apply for your wife's PR now anyway, as it will take a couple of years, and once she's got it she keeps PR status as long as she's living with you. At least then that side of things is sorted, and she can move with you anytime.
Old Jul 7th 2022, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I would suggest you apply for your wife's PR now anyway, as it will take a couple of years, and once she's got it she keeps PR status as long as she's living with you. At least then that side of things is sorted, and she can move with you anytime.
Thanks, I just had that exact conversation with my wife. We'll start the PR application for her tomorrow and then figure things out from there.

Thanks again guys, this is such a super helpful forum!