Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice RE best route to take into canada

Advice RE best route to take into canada

Old May 29th 2008, 7:17 pm

canconfused is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice RE best route to take into canada

Hi,
I'm looking for advice on the best route to take to get my family into canada quickly!

I'm canadian by birth, my three young children were born abroad and I have just recently applied for their proof of canadian citizenship and also applied for their canadian passports. The children and I are planning on moving to canada shortly (due to a couple of serious family/personal reasons I need to be back in canada ASAP). My husband (the children's father) is british and we need to know the best way to get him into canada.

Our original plan was to sponsor him from outside canada, the children and I then move to Canada, and he spends a significant amount of time with us under a tourist stamp. He is currently the only financial provider for our family, but fully intends to give up work for about 6 months due to the personal/family reasons (our family will be provided for by the generosity of extended family in canada), but it is absolutely essential that he is allowed to visit us in canada for a significant portion of that 6 months, if not longer.

Would it be better to sponsor him from inside canada?

Should the sponsorship application take longer than six months could he extend his tourist stay past 6 months if applying from inside canada? if applying from outside canada?

Does he have any other kind of options in canada while awaiting permanent residency? Is there any kind of extended (6 months +) tourist visa?

Thank you
Old May 29th 2008, 7:26 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice RE best route to take into canada

Sponsorship from abroad, filed asap, is the best option. If both packages (application to sponsor and PR application) are prepared perfectly, evidence is 100% conclusive, nothing left to guessing or doubts then process may be as short as 3 months (30 days in Mississauga and 2 to 5 months in London).

No problem with visitor admission as long as you state the truth.
Old May 29th 2008, 7:45 pm

Thank you for the quick response
Sounds like that is the best way forward then.

Under the tourist stamp visa is there any limitation on how often you can visit? Or if you stay the full six months do you have to stay away for a set amount of time before re-entering again?

If we write a letter with our application explaining the reasons why the family suddenly needs to be in Canada has that ever been known to speed things up? Does it ever slow it down??

Thank you
Old May 29th 2008, 8:19 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Admission as visitor can be granted for up to 6 months under normal circumstances - although many sponsored Brits reported here receiving 12 months admission after declaring at the port of entry fact of already having sponsorship application pending, and providing evidence of it.

No matter what you write - it won't speed up anything. Only perfect and fully conclusive application package results in shorter processing time.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canconfused
Hi,
I'm looking for advice on the best route to take to get my family into canada quickly!

I'm canadian by birth, my three young children were born abroad and I have just recently applied for their proof of canadian citizenship and also applied for their canadian passports. The children and I are planning on moving to canada shortly (due to a couple of serious family/personal reasons I need to be back in canada ASAP). My husband (the children's father) is british and we need to know the best way to get him into canada.
As Andrew says, an offshore sponsorship is quickest.

Have you thought of applying for your naturalisation as a British citizen before you leave?
Old May 30th 2008, 5:52 am

No, actually I haven't thought about it at all... we always intended on leaving so I never really considered it, but maybe I will look into it.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:55 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

No, actually I haven't thought about it at all... we always intended on leaving so I never really considered it, but maybe I will look into it.
The Wiki article called Get British citizenship before emigrating outlines the benefits that JAJ so often has educated us about on this forum.
x
Old May 30th 2008, 6:10 am

very interesting information...

my initial reaction is that YES i would like to get citizenship.

just checking here if i qualify
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tnerofcitizen/

seems that i will qualify in mid-august (not been 3 constant years yet... i initially entered 5 years ago, then left for a couple years, then came back).

Big thanks for pointing this out to me!
Old May 30th 2008, 6:33 am

perhaps i won't be able to...
for evidence of leave to remain permanently i dont have!
when i entered i was only stamped in until 2012 i believe, not as permanent.

must find out more.
Old May 30th 2008, 6:42 am

make that 2010.

i entered the UK as the spouse of a EEA national exercising his treaty rights (although my husband is british, it was done that way when we entered because we had both been living outside the UK but inside the EU).
Old May 30th 2008, 1:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

make that 2010.

i entered the UK as the spouse of a EEA national exercising his treaty rights (although my husband is british, it was done that way when we entered because we had both been living outside the UK but inside the EU).
Unfortunately since you chose the "free" alternative, you don't get Permanent Residence until you have completed 5 years legal residence on your EEA status.

Had you used the standard immigration rules, you would already be a permanent resident and you would have been eligible for citizenship in a few months.
Old May 30th 2008, 4:26 pm

yes, it does seem that i need to have five years...

although, i am a bit confused about one point -- i entered in 2005 as a family member of an EEA national (my husband is british and only british), it says in the guidance notes of EEA4 application for permanent residence that only nationals of a xxxxxxx countries can apply for EEA4 and excludes britain.
did the law change since 2005?
because it seems like i cannot apply (now or in five years) as EITHER EEA4 or SET(M), as EEA4 excludes family of british nationals and SET(M) excludes my visa type.

thoughts?
Old May 30th 2008, 5:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

yes, it does seem that i need to have five years...

although, i am a bit confused about one point -- i entered in 2005 as a family member of an EEA national (my husband is british and only british), it says in the guidance notes of EEA4 application for permanent residence that only nationals of a xxxxxxx countries can apply for EEA4 and excludes britain.
did the law change since 2005?
because it seems like i cannot apply (now or in five years) as EITHER EEA4 or SET(M), as EEA4 excludes family of british nationals and SET(M) excludes my visa type.

thoughts?
British citizens returning from living in other EEA countries can be treated as EEA nationals if they request such treatment.
You should be ok to claim Permanent Residence in 2010 via EEA4.

(in fact you don't have to use EEA4, you could apply directly for citizenship if you wish - provided the rules don't change, as they may do).

Last edited by JAJ; May 30th 2008 at 5:04 pm.
Old May 30th 2008, 5:24 pm

Thank you, looks like I won't be doing that then.
Cheers for the great info though!