Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice on PR Renewal whilst living with Canadian Spouse in U.K.

Advice on PR Renewal whilst living with Canadian Spouse in U.K.

Old Jun 20th 2023, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

londonneedshelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on PR Renewal whilst living with Canadian Spouse in U.K.

Hi All

I am about to renew my PR card and need some advice.

For the last five years, I have lived with my Canadian Husband here in the U.K. as he works here and too recently had to live here to care for his elderly Mother (who was British with PR).

He was born in Canadian and I originally qualified with spousal arrangement.

Now as I have lived here with him - I still have qualified for the days present remit.

what I don't get is, to make my application, do I need to fly to Canada to post it ? Or can I send it from the U.K.

Also as we intend to return sometime in the next five years - will they communicate if they have too with me in the U.K. or will I need to have a Canadian Address?

All seems very archaic still, have written to them, but their answer is just my questions rehashed !

Has anyone renewed whilst living in the U.K.?

Any help or advice is gratefully received !

Best wishes

Rob

Old Jun 21st 2023, 5:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on PR Renewal whilst living with Canadian Spouse in U.K.

You cannot renew your PR card from outside Canada, but you don’t need to - when you want to return to Canada you’ll just need to apply for a PRTD allowing you to travel instead. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=065&top=10

HTH.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

As christmasoompa says, you need to apply for a PRTD, or Permanent Resident Travel Document.

I am also a UK citizen living in Britain with a Canadian partner, and I've twice successfully applied for PRTD in the past 18 months – once with the older paper-based application, and more recently via the new online application – and would be happy to answer any questions about the process.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Default Advice on PR Renewal whilst living with Canadian Spouse in U.K.

Thanks for the help so far people.

Spoke to an Immigration Lawyer today.

One question he could not answer and it's not in the wiki.

PR renewals - when they are send to the person renewing - do they come in normal post - or do they need to be signed for ?

Thanks in advance.

Rob
Old Jun 21st 2023, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for this my card does not expire till Dec.

I really want to have a card as we intend to move back in the next 5 years and do not want to have to go through all the hassle of applying for a new card.

Originally Posted by DeanN
As christmasoompa says, you need to apply for a PRTD, or Permanent Resident Travel Document.

I am also a UK citizen living in Britain with a Canadian partner, and I've twice successfully applied for PRTD in the past 18 months – once with the older paper-based application, and more recently via the new online application – and would be happy to answer any questions about the process.
Old Jun 21st 2023, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonneedshelp
Thanks for this my card does not expire till Dec.

I really want to have a card as we intend to move back in the next 5 years and do not want to have to go through all the hassle of applying for a new card.
I think you’re confusing the card and the status. You’ll still be a PR at any point in the next 5 years, the card is just proof of that. You won’t have to apply for PR again.

You’ll just apply for a PRTD when you’re ready to travel, use that to get to Canada, and then renew your card once there.

HTH.