Advice - PR in Ontario

Old Oct 2nd 2022, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Samski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice - PR in Ontario

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone may be able to help guide me. I’ve been in Canada for 4 years in Ontario. During this time I’ve had work permits working for PwC and now Accenture. Due to covid and some post natal challenges my wife moved back to the UK 18 months ago, and since then her spousal work permit expired, but we plan to unite and stay here permanently. With that in mind I’ll apply for PR for me, my wife, my eldest daughter (my youngest is Canadian).

What do I need to do to start a PR application? And am I best going down the federal or provincial route? (And does my wife and eldest need to be in the country as we apply etc).

welcome any guidance and where to start. Thanks!!!

Old Oct 3rd 2022, 10:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice - PR in Ontario

Unfortunately, we can't really advise which would be the best route for PR as we don't know what you may be eligible for. There are lots of options, it will depend on your job, your education, your points score on the CRS etc. You need to work out which route(s) you may be able to apply for, and if more than one (hopefully at least one) then which you would prefer. Each will have pros and cons.

Your wife and child don't need to be in the country when you apply, they will be dependents on your application (assuming your daughter qualifies as a dependent child of course i.e. is under 21 and not in a common-law relationship etc). Just checking, but your wife is your spouse i.e. you're legally married? Not common-law spouses?

I'd get cracking with it as the EE system is changing next year, there will be new criteria, so if you're eligible now and want to apply under that route, don't wait to do so.

Good luck.
Old Oct 3rd 2022, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much.

im a British citizen, and my eldest is 6, so eligible as a dependent.

where am struggling is to understand the route and which to pursue.

i have worked in Canada for 4 years. 3 years my NOC was 0125 and then it’s currently 0213 . I have a fulltime permanent employment offer with Accenture as leadership which I currently deliver on based on my work permit, which expires Sep 22 2023. My employers have done LMIA in the past to support the permits.

can anyone share details of a legal clerk/immigration person I could use, or links to do an initial assessment.

thabks again/Sam
Old Oct 3rd 2022, 2:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There's not usually any need to use an immigration lawyer (not a clerk!), unless you have complicated circumstances i.e. medical issues or a criminal record.

I'd start with the official eligibility tool, and see what that says as your first step. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...nada-tool.html

Once you've checked that out, do feel free to come back and ask questions, somebody is usually around to try and help.

Good luck.
Old Oct 3rd 2022, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for swift reply.

i did the test, and said I could be eligible EE, but looks like I’ll need to do an English test first and then apply -Is that really the case?

At what point in the process do you look at doing federal v provincial application (that’s what the nice border person said to make sure I look at - which is fastest)

I have all my paperwork from the last 3 WP applications… but not done an English test before. Would my wife need to do the same?

thanks again for the guidance- Sam
Old Oct 3rd 2022, 2:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, you'd need to do an English exam for an EE application. EE will be much quicker than PNP and does have other advantages i.e. you're not tied to the province that sponsored you so can move elsewhere if you wish, your employer doesn't need to pay anything or complete much paperwork (it's much more onerous for Ontario PNP), etc. You'll need to choose which route before applying.

So if the test says you're eligible for EE that's great, but that's only the first step as it's a two step process. That means you're eligible to enter the 'pool' of applicants, but once in the pool, only those scoring the highest are selected and invited to apply for PR. So the next step is to check your score on the CRS, you'll need above approx 500 as a rough guide to be in with a chance. Again, assume you've taken an English test for now (max points as a native speaker), it's only to give you an idea of score. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp
Old Oct 4th 2022, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

THANKYOU!!!

So my score was 534 based on criteria. The only part not completed is an English test- is there any which are quicker to take from a lead time perspective. I do not speak great French, so if I did the test I’d score poor I think!

im 36, been in Canada 4.5years on skill type A work permit. I’ve 2 degrees and my spouse has a degree (but will not work initially and hasn’t before, I do not plan on having her take a test).

The only thing I thought may hold weight is that I have a child who’s a CA citizen…

Any ideas on ball park fees if I do this myself and don’t ask an at tourney or immigration firm to do my paperwork!

thanks

sam
Old Oct 4th 2022, 5:16 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Looking here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dence.htmlCost for PR is $1,365 for your application, which I believe is broken down into $850 for your PR application, and $515 for the Right of permanent residence fee.
You might also need a medical, which is probably around $200
Langauge test is I believe $280 plus tax
Photos - probably $30
There's probably something seriously obvious I'm forgetting about too.
Old Oct 7th 2022, 4:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

534 is great.

Originally Posted by Samski
The only part not completed is an English test- is there any which are quicker to take from a lead time perspective.
There isn't a quicker way, no, but there isn't usually a big wait for an exam. So do you already have an ECA? That's usually the bit that takes the most time.

The only thing I thought may hold weight is that I have a child who’s a CA citizen…
Nope, no weight at all for EE I'm afraid, a Canadian child doesn't get you any extra points.

Any ideas on ball park fees if I do this myself and don’t ask an at tourney or immigration firm to do my paperwork!
Figure about $5k as a rough guide for a family by the time you've included your visa fees, medicals, IELTS (possibly ECA if you don't already have that), police certs, courier fee, photos etc, etc.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 7th 2022 at 4:19 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2022, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Hey, what’s an ECA… is that university transcript? I didn’t need for WP, but do for EE?

can I apply before English tests done? I booked for Saturday

thanks sam
Old Oct 12th 2022, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hey, what’s an ECA… is that university transcript? I didn’t need for WP, but do for EE?

can I apply before English tests done? I booked for Saturday

thanks sam
ECA - Educational Credential Assessment. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-assessed.html

And no, you can't apply until you have all the mandatory documents.

HTH.
Old Feb 7th 2023, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Hi folks, I know have my university transcript, police certificate, bio metrics, and and an English test CELPIP booked for Wednesday (after last one was cancelled and not refunded due to covid)… I’ve only ever spoke English and was a cop for 9 years before becoming a mgmt consulting exec with PwC and Accenture. Is there anything I nneed to know/should practice heading into the test? I don’t imagine I need to practice, but keep me honest.

After I get my scores is there anything else I need to submit the express entry? Should I get a workplace letter now or once in the pool? My score should sit at 534

thanks in advance sam
Old Feb 7th 2023, 5:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You’ve mentioned ‘university transcripts’ - just checking but do you mean the ECA? You can’t apply without that.

If you have got the ECA then you’re good to go. You only need the English text results and ECA at the moment.

Re: the test, you’d be surprised. Often Brits don’t get max points if they don’t revise for it, but you have enough leeway if your points score is roughly 534 to drop a few points on the English exam and still get invited for PR.

Good luck.
Old Feb 7th 2023, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

P.S. I'm not sure what you mean by 'workplace letter'. You'll need detailed references for your current role, and previous ones, which must outline the duties for your NOC code. Plus contracts, payslips etc, anything to prove you meet the requirements for the NOC(s) you're claiming. So it's more than just one letter, but you won't need anything to prove employment until you get invited to apply for PR anyway.
Old Feb 8th 2023, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi

when u go the EE skills assessment question 8 asks if I have a job offer and the tier. I work as a director at Accenture 00 Noc and have a permanent contract, albeit am under work permit right now.

am I answering the question correctly say yes I have a job offer and Noc tier 0 which it is?

if so my points are 643

is there a minimu score in the celpip text to pass?
thanks Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.