Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice please on past name change and police certificates

Advice please on past name change and police certificates

Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Daniel500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please on past name change and police certificates

Hello, many years ago in my youth, but past the age of 18, during a period of several years I used legally another surname than the one I have now, and the one which I had at birth. I do not have any documents pertaining to this name, as it was not changed in the UK or elsewhere, but in a another country where I also have citizenship but where my name with Latin letters is spelt much differently than it is from my name as on my birth certificates from the UK. Should I ask for a police certificate from this country under my present surname, or under my surname when I lived in that country?

I assume that when I ask for it under the surname that I used during the time of my residence in that country, it may confuse my application in Canada not matching my present name. If I should apply for a certificate under the name I used while I resided in that country, should I supply the Canadians with some sort of explanation of why the name on the certificate is different from my application name, though I will have no official document showing the connection other than an old passport which has at least my picture (from many years ago) and my date of birth in it as the only connecting data?

Many thanks for any advice offered.