Wikiposts

Advice on the new ETA for Canada

Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

angeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice on the new ETA for Canada

Hi all, I have been reading about the new Electronic Travel Authorisation for travel after March 15th for entry back into Canada. We are uk citizens currently on a temp. work permit & hubby will be travelling on business very soon. Can anyone tell me whether we need to apply on this basis, I can't find a clear answer online.
Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on the new ETA for Canada

If you go to the Government of Canada website, there is a section which advises if you need an ETA or not - I just chose British citizen in the drop down box and that states that I will need an ETA if I travel by air to Canada after 15 March2016. I don't think the work permit has any effect on that.
It specifically states that you cannot apply for an ETA if you are a Canadian or dual citizen, or a US citizen. But you are none of those, so an ETA seems appropriate.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you apply for one: it's only $7 which is a bit cheaper than rearranging your flight because the airline didn't let you on the plane without one (although, as we know, there may be some leeway for a few months ...).

S
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you and your family already have valid Canadian visas then you don't need an eTA. Applying for one is likely to cause problems with your immigration status.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you and your family already have valid Canadian visas then you don't need an eTA. Applying for one is likely to cause problems with your immigration status.
Can try checking here against passport https://onlineservices-servicesenlig...nQuery?lang=en depends when the temp work visa was issued but also whether this link checks just visitor passports or you need to access MYCIC visa record. And despite recent publicity that ETA deployment is being phased in or delayed slightly depends if someone wants to trust an airline having the latest info when trying to board a flight.

Last edited by PB65; Mar 7th 2016 at 6:56 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to point out: a visa and a permit are not the same things. If you are from a visa required country then you don't require an eTA. But if you have a work permit and are from a visa exempt country then you may depending where/when the WP was issued.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 7th 2016 at 7:19 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 7:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

"I want to apply for a study or work permit. Do I need to apply for an eTA?

Starting August 1, 2015, an eTA will be issued automatically if you are approved for a work or study permit. You will not have to submit a separate eTA application form or pay a separate fee."
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

angeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the roughangeljaye is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Snowy560;11889449]Just to point out: a visa and a permit are not the same things. If you are from a visa required country then you don't require an eTA. But if you have a work permit and are from a visa exempt country then you may depending where/when the WP was issued.

The wording work permit/ visa was where I was becoming confused as to whether we would need one or not. Our twp was issued upon landing in Montreal. Thank you for clarifying they are not the same thing Snowy560, & I appreciate everyone comments and advice.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi a visa e.g. a TRV or temporary resident visa is something that visa required nationals need to travel to/enter Canada. If they are coming to work or study (for example), they also need a Work Permit or a Study Permit to remain in Canada for a length of time and do those activities.

British citizens (with British passports) are not visa required: they are visa exempt and so require an eTA from March 15 to travel to Canada by air (unless of course they are dual Canadian/British citizens or PRs).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 8th 2016 at 5:15 am.