Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed Urgently - Medicals for non-accompanying children

Advice Needed Urgently - Medicals for non-accompanying children

Old Mar 19th 2012, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice Needed Urgently - Medicals for non-accompanying children

Hi
I hope one or more of the experienced forum members can help me with this one, please:
Long story short, I have two daughters aged 16 & 14 from my previous marriage. CIC have suggested I put them through medicals as part of my own PR application even though they are not coming with me. The elder daughter has agreed to take the medical but the younger one will not.
So, will CIC accept a letter from my ex-wife saying that she is refusing to let the 14 year-old sit the medical, or even that the 14 year-old herself is refusing it?
I realise the ramifications with future sponsorship, so would appreciate the thread not being steered down that path; I just really need an answer to the question above, as it is starting to get me anxious in terms of our plans falling through.
Many, many thanks in anticipation.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 10:47 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Needed Urgently - Medicals for non-accompanying children

Hi

Originally Posted by Jimbo2012
Hi
I hope one or more of the experienced forum members can help me with this one, please:
Long story short, I have two daughters aged 16 & 14 from my previous marriage. CIC have suggested I put them through medicals as part of my own PR application even though they are not coming with me. The elder daughter has agreed to take the medical but the younger one will not.
So, will CIC accept a letter from my ex-wife saying that she is refusing to let the 14 year-old sit the medical, or even that the 14 year-old herself is refusing it?
I realise the ramifications with future sponsorship, so would appreciate the thread not being steered down that path; I just really need an answer to the question above, as it is starting to get me anxious in terms of our plans falling through.
Many, many thanks in anticipation.

A letter from the custodial parent is fine.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

A letter from the custodial parent is fine.
Thanks PMM. In the letter, is it best to go along the lines that the mother won't allow it or that my daughter herself is actually refusing it?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to have to persuade the CIC that you have done everything in your power to persuade your daughter to have the medical exam and that you understand the full ramifications of this decision. i.e if anything ever happened to her mother, you would still never be able to sponsor her.

Obviously it will delay your plans while they consider your requests.

As she is only 14 and therefore underage, I believe it would have to be the mother who is refusing to have her examined. At 14 she is too young to understand the full implications of this decision. Obviously the mother would have to make clear why she is refusing for one and not the other in the letter.

There is a chance of your plan falling through. There have been cases in the past where they have refused applications in these types of situation. If your daughter was older (over 18), it would be more clear cut.

It depends on the officer examing your file. but if refused, you can still appeal and there have been successful appeals in this type of situation.

It wold be best if she could be persuaded. Go ahead and get your older daughter to have her exam. Let them talk afterwards. Try and find out what her concern is about the exam and see if they can be resolved.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britsnake
You are going to have to persuade the CIC that you have done everything in your power to persuade your daughter to have the medical exam and that you understand the full ramifications of this decision. i.e if anything ever happened to her mother, you would still never be able to sponsor her.

Obviously it will delay your plans while they consider your requests.

As she is only 14 and therefore underage, I believe it would have to be the mother who is refusing to have her examined. At 14 she is too young to understand the full implications of this decision. Obviously the mother would have to make clear why she is refusing for one and not the other in the letter.

There is a chance of your plan falling through. There have been cases in the past where they have refused applications in these types of situation. If your daughter was older (over 18), it would be more clear cut.

It depends on the officer examing your file. but if refused, you can still appeal and there have been successful appeals in this type of situation.

It wold be best if she could be persuaded. Go ahead and get your older daughter to have her exam. Let them talk afterwards. Try and find out what her concern is about the exam and see if they can be resolved.
Thanks Britsnake. In a nutshell, my older daughter would like to keep her options open for the future while the younger one is adamant she wouldn't go to Canada under any circumstances, hence the refusal of the medical.
I see your point re our plans being affected but surely there are issues of human rights at stake too? If she (or her mother) don't think the medical necessary, they shouldn't be forced. Moreover, it seems unfair that it might impact upon me and my current wife (who is Canadian and just wants to go back home).
Old Mar 20th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it is not very fair for you and your new wife, but choices have consequencies which are often not in our control.

The medical is not a big deal and usually takes just a few minutes.

Like you say you can't force them, but you have even less control over the CIC and how they deal with things.

Hopefully your daughters choice will not delay your move by too much. It may not delay it at all.