Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ADVICE NEEDED REGARDING REFERENCES...

ADVICE NEEDED REGARDING REFERENCES...

Old Sep 16th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

rossi1 has a spectacular aura aboutrossi1 has a spectacular aura aboutrossi1 has a spectacular aura about
Default ADVICE NEEDED REGARDING REFERENCES...

Hi, we are in ontario on a work permit and just in the process of getting all the paper work together to send of the full PR aplication, with intent for it to be fastracked.
My question is, even though i never want to go back to my old job, just to be on the safe side i took a 2yr career break, just as a safety net. So my old company have given me great references and i have payslips etc...but will london contact my old employer (who i may add is a very big Uk company) for a reference?

The only reason i ask, is that my old employer dont know i'm working over here and dont want them getting funny if they know i have no intention of going back..eg, pension or possible reduncy money etc. And being paranoid till PR is completed i dont want to officially leave them.

So do you think all the up to date references and paper work for the company will be enough?

Thanks in advance and by the way moving to canada is the best move we ever made...fantastic!
Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:59 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE NEEDED REGARDING REFERENCES...

can't really answere this but honesty is probably the best policy.....
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I don’t know the answer either, but if they call, do they identify themselves as CHC London and the reason for verification (i.e. immigration)? I would think not (but not sure) as that could jeopardize a person’s career. My employer doesn’t know I have applied and I certainly don’t want them thinking that I might leave.

I think (or at least hope) that CHC would understand that and be discreet about it. They might still call to verify, but I would imagine they won’t divulge the reason for the call.

Having said that, why would an employer give the information just to anyone unless they know the reason for the call?

Hmmm….now you got me paranoid.

Ray
Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossi1
Hi, we are in ontario on a work permit and just in the process of getting all the paper work together to send of the full PR aplication, with intent for it to be fastracked.
My question is, even though i never want to go back to my old job, just to be on the safe side i took a 2yr career break, just as a safety net. So my old company have given me great references and i have payslips etc...but will london contact my old employer (who i may add is a very big Uk company) for a reference?

The only reason i ask, is that my old employer dont know i'm working over here and dont want them getting funny if they know i have no intention of going back..eg, pension or possible reduncy money etc. And being paranoid till PR is completed i dont want to officially leave them.

So do you think all the up to date references and paper work for the company will be enough?

Thanks in advance and by the way moving to canada is the best move we ever made...fantastic!
This is just my experience and probably won't be the case for everyone but recently since obtaining my PR visa I asked my former employer who had written a reference which was submitted as part of my application whether CIC had ever contacted him to verify any of the information provided...he said that no-one had been in touch.

Do your 'great references' from them meet all the criteria which is requested by CIC?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

There's an ex-Visa officer who uses these forums, I believe his name is Jim Humphries (I might be wrong, apologies if I am), he may have insight into how the process works when they check references.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

rossi1 has a spectacular aura aboutrossi1 has a spectacular aura aboutrossi1 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes made sure they put everything in reference that CHC would require, so hoping that as i have references, contract, payslips etc, they wont check.

What do think of me adding a letter, explaning i am on a career break and the company dont know i am working elsewhere etc...and don't want them to rock the boat of over my pension etc.

Wouldnt stress so much but i had to jump through hoops to get them to give me a career break, as they didn't want to give me one, so know they will not take kindly to me emigrating, after the comotion i caused.

Bloody stressfull this PR application, when do we ever stop stressing ha...
Old Sep 17th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossi1
Thanks for the replies so far.

Yes made sure they put everything in reference that CHC would require, so hoping that as i have references, contract, payslips etc, they wont check.

What do think of me adding a letter, explaning i am on a career break and the company dont know i am working elsewhere etc...and don't want them to rock the boat of over my pension etc.

Wouldnt stress so much but i had to jump through hoops to get them to give me a career break, as they didn't want to give me one, so know they will not take kindly to me emigrating, after the comotion i caused.

Bloody stressfull this PR application, when do we ever stop stressing ha...
I'd send it in with an explanation, yes. Why not?!

Good luck!