Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

ADVICE NEEDED- LANDING WITH NO FUNDS TO DECLARE

ADVICE NEEDED- LANDING WITH NO FUNDS TO DECLARE

Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:35 pm
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future
Default ADVICE NEEDED- LANDING WITH NO FUNDS TO DECLARE

Hi all,
We have a bit of a dilemma, we are due to officially land in December but plan to return following a weeks holiday to await the sale of our home.
The problem is we do not have any spare funds when we land to show that we have money in the bank, it is all tied up in property,cars etc.
Can anyone advice?? how likely is it that when we land we have to provide proof at that point.
Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all
Default Re: ADVICE NEEDED- LANDING WITH NO FUNDS TO DECLARE

Hi The Wortley`s,

I cannot help you with this one, but it`s good to see someone who`s local by a few mile........we are in Sedgley - small world ay?

Sue
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:05 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

It is almost a certainty that they will ASK you about funds.
When you land you are meant to have the required funds freely available and unencumbered even if you are planning to get on the next plane home.
Most people here have been asked how much money they have but few have been asked to PROVE it.

It is up to you how much of a risk you are willing to take
Old Sep 25th 2008, 9:11 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Wortley`s
Hi all,
We have a bit of a dilemma, we are due to officially land in December but plan to return following a weeks holiday to await the sale of our home.
The problem is we do not have any spare funds when we land to show that we have money in the bank, it is all tied up in property,cars etc.
Can anyone advice?? how likely is it that when we land we have to provide proof at that point.
Thanks
Hi

From what I have seen on BE it is one of the requirements of landing that you are able to show proof of funds.

Officially these funds must be unencumbered and a house valuation/mortgage statement is not sufficient(although it appears London will process the PR application based on these documents).

The reality may well be that you are not be asked to provide this documentation,(which seems to have been some of the experience from other members of BE) however the immigration officer is entitled to request sight of the funds.

Its a difficult one re whether you are prepared to take the risk of taking nothing with you, are you able to make a short term arrangement to have the funds in an account for the landing trip?

Good luck

edited, zoe confirmed what I thought!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 10:37 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Its a gamble at best if you cannot prove money in the bank or other very liquid form.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Get a Job offer first
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

We were neither asked how much we had or to show proof - BUT we had plenty of proof if asked - there was no way we were going to risk turning up without that evidence. To fall at the final hurdle doesn't bear thinking about.

Eamonn & Janet
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:40 am
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,
Thanks
We were asked but not asked to produce proof............. good luck.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,
Thanks
Hi, I think if you have a job offer this is okay. Other than that I know not. Completely changing the subject, we are from Coleshill, nr Birmingham which aint that far from you. We are already landed but returned due to commitments. We are going back permanently in December to Sunshine Coast near Vancouver. Where are you going?
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:04 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

I landed via the Detroit Tunnel and didn't have any money on me well except a few dollars perhaps... I was asked how much money am I carrying and I told him and that was it - no big deal. I wasn't asked for proof of funds or anything.

BTW - I used to live in Halesowen my parents still do by Mucklows Hill

Good Luck
Old Sep 28th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

kiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant futurekiddy2ns has a brilliant future

Do you really have to land in December? could you wait until the house is sold etc?
We went to Halifax earlier this month on a house hunt/holiday and did not activate our visas as we had not completed all the goods to accompanying and to follow list etc.
On a different note I used to live in Halesowen for many years top of Gorsty Hill.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:52 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Can't you do a further advance from your house for the required amount and then pay it back when you return? Just to be on the safe side.
What did you use when updating documents?
Good Luck

Danny
Old Sep 28th 2008, 2:59 pm
The /wortley`s

The Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant futureThe Wortley`s has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Can't you do a further advance from your house for the required amount and then pay it back when you return? Just to be on the safe side.
What did you use when updating documents?
Good Luck

Danny
Thanks for all you replys, we cannot wait for the house to sell as our visas run out the end of March 09 and we dont have anymore holiday to take closer to that date.
When we updated our documents they accepted the house valuation and assetts tied up in cars, caravan etc.
We are only landing to activate visas, visiting relatives over the xmas period and then returning to await sale of house.
The idea is taking out a further advance is an option to think about.
Anymore ides suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sally
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
Thanks
Hello The Wortley's

It seems there are a few West Midlanders on here - im not too far away from you either, I live in Kinver just outside Stourbridge.

I have just returned from a 2 week stay in Canada when I officially landed.
I too was in the same dilema as you - all my funds were tied up in my property and car etc. I wasn't sure what to do, I had heard that if your PR was processed through the London office - then when the time came for landing they would accept house valuation and mortgage statement. I delieberated for a while, but this is what I decided to do. My landing process went very smoothly, (the experience of which I am going to write a separate post as I know how nerve racking it was at the time) I was not asked for any proof of funds at any time, or have many other people as I am aware. The only question I was asked was how much money are your bringing into Canada - . I first thought it was my entire funds ie house equity - I answered with a figure confidently - I think this is important as if you um and ar it possibly raises the request of proof from you. It turns out all they wanted to know was just what CAD cash I had on me.

I made the decision based on what Id read from others peoples experiences and the fact my PR had been processed through London. It wasn't a 100% reassurance, but it made me confident enough to do what I did, and it seemed I was right.

If you are still a bit unsure of what to do, could you borrow money from friends/family in the short term just boost your account to the required balance, you wouldn't need it for long, as when you return permanantly you will have all required funds from your house sale to do as you require in Canada. I had an offer of a loan from a friend to do this, but decided on valuation and statement route.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Sep 28th 2008, 3:31 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It seems that your visas must be expiring soon so the best plan is to go for landing and, if necessary, explain the situation about selling your house etc. Give a figure when asked and be prepared to defend it if it is questioned closely. From other posts it seems that this will work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.