Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice needed, best Visa for my situation?

Advice needed, best Visa for my situation?

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

chrisbrought125 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed, best Visa for my situation?

Hi all

I hope someone can help me as I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I'm British, currently living in the UK with my fiancée who has come over from Canada. She's entitled to a British passport as her father is British which is currently being processed. She's been with me in the UK since September and got engaged this month. I had in my head we would be here for a while.

The problem we have is that now that she's had a few months over here, she doesn't think she would be able to settle in the UK (grey skies and different food being the main excuses) and we recently found out she is pregnant, baby due in mid July. She wants to be around her mum which is understandable. Because she isn't entitled to NHS yet she'd rather go back to Canada from this month and have the majority of the pregnancy there in case of problems.

What ideally I'd like to happen is move over there within the next 6 months and then try to get a job and settle. I've looked at the options and I don't know whether I would have to get married first (pretty rushed!) and apply for a spouse visa - the problem then being she wouldn't be working and can't support us if then we have to go through the Family Sponsorship route. Alternatively go for the International Experience working holiday visa which looks a bit hit and miss as to whether I would be able to get in (I'm 29 years old) or the Express Visa which looks to me that I need to pay to take an English test (seems a bit bizarre as I'm British) and still risk not being picked out.

I feel as though I'm pretty well qualified and have good work experience in order to be able to get a job fairly quickly. I have a bachelors degree in Business Information Systems Management and have worked in system/application support type roles since 2007. I've looked at the job sites and there seem to be a fair few organisations wanting that type of person around Toronto, but then most say I have to be eligible to work in Canada to apply, which in my current position isn't true.

What do you think is my best route to be able to be in Canada by July and then hopefully working asap. I realise I could go over for 6 months on a tourist visa but I do need income as well (could probably get away with living off some savings which is going to go into a house purchase so want to avoid that if I can).

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:58 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed, best Visa for my situation?

Originally Posted by chrisbrought125
What ideally I'd like to happen is move over there within the next 6 months and then try to get a job and settle. I've looked at the options and I don't know whether I would have to get married first (pretty rushed!) and apply for a spouse visa - the problem then being she wouldn't be working and can't support us if then we have to go through the Family Sponsorship route. Alternatively go for the International Experience working holiday visa which looks a bit hit and miss as to whether I would be able to get in (I'm 29 years old) or the Express Visa which looks to me that I need to pay to take an English test (seems a bit bizarre as I'm British) and still risk not being picked out.
Get married, spousal sponsorship is way the easiest route to come in, you may not be working by July though.

If you have a job where you are, get married, start sponsorship, she come back to Canada if this is what she wants to do, you work where you are until processing finished, you can visit her in Canada.

IEC is hit and miss, however it will be opening soon, so you could give it a shot, if it does not work, the above may be more practical.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
Get married, spousal sponsorship is way the easiest route to come in
Thanks for the response Aviator - the issue I foresee with this is that she won't be working now and therefore couldn't support me financially in order to be able to sponsor. I'm not sure if she would be able to find employment being pregnant very easily either so would this cause a big problem?

Is the suggestion that we get married ASAP and she gets a job back in Canada before giving birth, or can we get away with her not?

Does anyone have an idea when IEC opens, or a way I can be notified?
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There is no financial requirement for spousal sponsorship, she doesn't need a job to sponsor you at all.

HTH.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There is no financial requirement for spousal sponsorship, she doesn't need a job to sponsor you at all.

HTH.
OK thanks.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:47 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrought125
Thanks for the response Aviator - the issue I foresee with this is that she won't be working now and therefore couldn't support me financially in order to be able to sponsor. I'm not sure if she would be able to find employment being pregnant very easily either so would this cause a big problem?

Is the suggestion that we get married ASAP and she gets a job back in Canada before giving birth, or can we get away with her not?

Does anyone have an idea when IEC opens, or a way I can be notified?
Unlike the UK, Canada doesn't really have any income/financial assessment in spousal applications. My wife was a student at Uni and worked part time in a bank when she sponsored me. They ask about work/money but it's not to hold it against you.