Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

advice needed about fingerprints for PR application

advice needed about fingerprints for PR application

Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

rossi1 has a spectacular aura aboutrossi1 has a spectacular aura aboutrossi1 has a spectacular aura about
Default advice needed about fingerprints for PR application

Hi we have been in ontario for 8weeks now on a 2yr work permit and want to get a full PR application sent in this summer, we are just going through the checklist, but am confused about the fingerprints!!!
We have UK police checks done, but do we need to send a copy of our Fingerprints in with Full PR application? we keep reading different things.

Or do we wait till they request them?
And if we do need them done, would you recommend the ink ones and send them in with application? Is this sufficient?
Or should we get electronic ones done?

Sorry for so many questions but have tried looking for the answers, but its not very clear and just want to make sure our application has everything they require, to save any delays. Cheers!!!

Last edited by rossi1; Jul 13th 2008 at 10:23 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Re: advice needed about fingerprints for PR application

Hi, not sure if this will answer your question, but I'll tell you what's happened to us so far....

We are here on twp and have applied for pr. We are using an agent, but even so, we have applied (and received back) the new ACPO UK criminal certificate and we have been fingerprinted by the RCMP and had the crimal check done by them.

This is all in preparation for our medicals which should be requested very, very soon (fingers crossed).

We were asked to provide the old fashioned 'ink' prints rather than the electronic ones - which was just as well as the local RCMP only uses the ink system!

If I understand correctly, as soon as the medicals are done, our attorney will send everything off together.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:57 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

As a follow up to this, when you apply to London for PR and you obtain police checks to send off, I thought I read somewhere that you have to submit fingerprints to the UK police, is this correct, if so when and where do you do this, do you go to your local police station?

Thanks, sorry if dumb question
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

neilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant futureneilo71 has a brilliant future

Hey there, The only fingerprints you have to get are those to send of to the RCMP. I guess it depends where you are, in Canada go to any police department (OPP) and get them done or if in the UK go to scotland yard and get them done there.
I was in the uk and had to go to scotland yard.
The RCMP and the OPP are different departments it's only just to verify who you are, The RCMP do a criminal records check on you cause you're living in Canada right now, I worked in Canada for 1 year so that's why i had to get thm done.
And now i'm married to a Canadian and in the process of PR application.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 14th 2008, 10:18 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilo71
Hey there, The only fingerprints you have to get are those to send of to the RCMP. I guess it depends where you are, in Canada go to any police department (OPP) and get them done or if in the UK go to scotland yard and get them done there.
I was in the uk and had to go to scotland yard.
The RCMP and the OPP are different departments it's only just to verify who you are, The RCMP do a criminal records check on you cause you're living in Canada right now, I worked in Canada for 1 year so that's why i had to get thm done.
And now i'm married to a Canadian and in the process of PR application.

Hope this helps
Thanks, I have seen quite a few threads on here about police checks generally ie ACPO and SAR's etc, but can't recall anything being said about people having to go to Scotland Yard to submit their fingerprints

Thanks for your reply

sorry for hjacking thread a bit

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Jul 14th 2008 at 10:20 am. Reason: adding bit
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Thanks, I have seen quite a few threads on here about police checks generally ie ACPO and SAR's etc, but can't recall anything being said about people having to go to Scotland Yard to submit their fingerprints

Thanks for your reply

sorry for hjacking thread a bit
Personally, I have not heard one has to submit finger prints to scotland yard.

My friend went to scotland yard to get fingers prints done for the US as his card was posted to him by FBI and it was something to do with US Immigration.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

dgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the roughdgpondhoppper is a jewel in the rough

Hi

You can go to Scotland yard or any other main police station to get voluntary fingerprinted. it is not a requirement for the british police certificate BUT if like me you spent more than 6 months in the USA you have to get an FBI check done to include with your PR application as well as the UK one

Just a note here, The form for the FBI does not have to be the original FBI form, it can be from almost anywhere. I had my prints done while working in the far east and then sent them direct to the FBI.... No problems at all. they took the C.Card payment and returned the completed form 2 weeks later to the UK.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

rossi1 has a spectacular aura aboutrossi1 has a spectacular aura aboutrossi1 has a spectacular aura about

Well thanks for your replies, but am still confused as havnt been given a clear answer as everyones circumstances are different.
Have only been in canada 8wks, so should i send off uk poilce check and no fingerprints with pr apllication? Or should i just get them done on RCMP paper and enclose them with aplication? cheers!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Hi again Rossi1, unless I misunderstood your orignal post, we are in very similar circumstances. Both in Canada already on twp and applying for pr. We maybe using an attorney, but the process is still the same for a pr application. We have been asked for ACPO certificate (UK) and we have been asked for RCMP (HAD to be RCMP, not local police) crimial check together with ink style fingerprints. No mention ever of UK prints and I think that even with all the 'hoops' you have to jump through for the various applications, it would be quite unreasonable to expect someone to fly back to the UK to get prints done when an indepth ACPO is being submitted.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nicola, thanks for your reply, it does seem clearer now. so are you just going to send the fingerprints on RCMP paper and your uk police check off together with your PR application? Is that sufficient? Bloody stressfull this, just want to make sure we send everything in that they require to save delays...Good luck with your application!!!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura aboutbflava has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rossi1
Hi Nicola, thanks for your reply, it does seem clearer now. so are you just going to send the fingerprints on RCMP paper and your uk police check off together with your PR application? Is that sufficient? Bloody stressfull this, just want to make sure we send everything in that they require to save delays...Good luck with your application!!!
Rossi1, if you have been in Canada for 8 weeks, then you only need the UK police report. You need police report for countries you have live in 6 months or more since we were 18 and above.

From my understanding, i dont think you even need an RCMP report if less than 6 MONTHS.

If you have been in Ontario for 8 weeks on a 2yrs TWP, then you dont need RCMP certs and only the UK one, get it now and you good, good luck.... This is based on the information you have given here. is not confusing so dont get confused.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Rossi1, not sure about how long you have to be in Canada to need an RCMP check done - you may need to check this out with CIC. We arrived here in September 07, so it could well be the 6 mths as mentioned by bflava.

We have already received our ACPO certs and have had the local RCMP check done, we collected the RCMP forms a few days later. They also took our fingerprints on their own forms and gave them to us straight away. I then sent all the RCMP bits off to our attorney who in turn sent them to Ottawa for a 'Canada wide' search rather than just the provincial search.

The ACPO certs are being kept by the attorney, until our medicals are completed and then all sent off together - I think!!

Hope your application goes well and you are right - bl**dy stressful!

Good luck to you and yours and if you need anything else at all, just pm me!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 3:13 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
Hi Rossi1, not sure about how long you have to be in Canada to need an RCMP check done - you may need to check this out with CIC. We arrived here in September 07, so it could well be the 6 mths as mentioned by bflava.

We have already received our ACPO certs and have had the local RCMP check done, we collected the RCMP forms a few days later. They also took our fingerprints on their own forms and gave them to us straight away. I then sent all the RCMP bits off to our attorney who in turn sent them to Ottawa for a 'Canada wide' search rather than just the provincial search.

The ACPO certs are being kept by the attorney, until our medicals are completed and then all sent off together - I think!!

Hope your application goes well and you are right - bl**dy stressful!

Good luck to you and yours and if you need anything else at all, just pm me!
1. There is no such thing as a Provincial search, all police agencies report crimes in CPIC. I hope that you went for a live scan (corp of commissionaires and others) results in less than 30 days, usually 72 hours, rather than 3/4 months for paper prints.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi PMM, I assume you are refering to fingerprinting. We were specifically asked to obtain the ink prints and not the laser ones - which we did. We were also told that there is a provincial (or local? ) only check and to ensure that the paperwork stated CPIC otherwise there would be a problem when the paperwork reached Ottawa. I didn't question it as it all seemed fairly straight forward and we managed to follow the requests. (I like to think I can do as I'm told ...... sometimes ).
Old Jul 15th 2008, 7:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
Hi PMM, I assume you are refering to fingerprinting. We were specifically asked to obtain the ink prints and not the laser ones - which we did. We were also told that there is a provincial (or local? ) only check and to ensure that the paperwork stated CPIC otherwise there would be a problem when the paperwork reached Ottawa. I didn't question it as it all seemed fairly straight forward and we managed to follow the requests. (I like to think I can do as I'm told ...... sometimes ).
The local they refer is probably just a name check. All Criminal Code convictions are entered in the CPIS/CPIC in Canada (Canadian Police Information System) This is unlike the US where some states don't enter conviction in the National System. I can't figure out why they wanted paper prints rather than digital, hey but that's London for you, they seem to be on a different wave link than other offices.