Advice Needed

Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Cheebo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice Needed

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to move to Canada since I graduated last year from my Advertising & Brand Management course, as it's always been a dream of mine to relocate there.

I've spent a while lurking on these forums and checking out the wiki to attain as much info as I can to help with my immigration attempt, and the site has been really informative.

However, upon missing this year's 2nd and 3rd quota for my IEC application by just a few hours (due to being in work), it feels like my once achievable dream is quickly becoming a pipe-dream.

Ideally, if I were to move to Canada, it would to be to work in a bar (I have 5 years' bar experience as a team leader) until I find my feet, before progressing into a career in brand management. But realistically I feel this wouldn't be possible, as bar work is an unskilled job, and Canadian workers would snap it up, especially in Vancouver, where I was looking at moving to.

I'm hoping to move over in August/September. Realistically, is it worth me looking at jobs on the Job Bank now? Won't all of the jobs on there be for immediate positions?

I don't have a 'trade' as such, I've worked most of my life behind a bar, before starting my current job which is administrative.

I feel like I've hit a brick wall, I've just turned 24 and I really feel my calling is in Canada, I'm hoping that one of you expats reads this and it re-kindles an old flame similar to one burning inside me. I'm a firm believer of "where there's a will, there's a way", but I could use some help finding the "way", and any replies would be helpful, whether it be success stories of people who were in my position, or advice offered by people on how to go about my immigration. I do fully intend on being a PR but the easiest course of action for me seems to be to get a TWP first, is it not?

Sorry if I sound a bit useless/naive, but I've never had the chance to talk to anybody about my immigration. There's only so many questions that reading a guide can answer.

Thanks!