advice needed

Old Nov 25th 2012, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

peter-g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice needed

Its now almost 3 years since we landed, but we have still not moved to Canada, still living in U.K. (a lot of personal issues have stopped us so far). Would the following scenario work? If I moved over & my wife followed later, would she be able to re-new her PR status, or could she be refused?
As long as I have 2 years or more residence in Canada is renewal of PR guarenteed?
Can my wife & daughter move over on the strength of my permanent resident status?
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice needed

I'm pretty sure your wife and child also have to meet the two out of five rule. If you do, and they don't, then they might be able to make a claim on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. I have no idea if this will be sucessful or not.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peter-g
Can my wife & daughter move over on the strength of my permanent resident status?
No. I they fail to meet the requirements, you could end up with all sorts of hassle.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If your wife and daughter don't move, then they'll have to reapply for PR (a H&C application is incredibly unlikely to succeed). You could sponsor your wife, and possibly your daughter depending on how old she is.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

peter-g is an unknown quantity at this point

What if I gain Canadian citizenship, will that not also apply to my wife & daughter??
Old Nov 27th 2012, 8:55 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

What if I gain Canadian citizenship, will that not also apply to my wife & daughter??
No, they have to apply for their own citizenship having fulfilled the requirements of their residence.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 10:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Its now almost 3 years since we landed, but we have still not moved to Canada, still living in U.K. (a lot of personal issues have stopped us so far). Would the following scenario work? If I moved over & my wife followed later, would she be able to re-new her PR status, or could she be refused?
As long as I have 2 years or more residence in Canada is renewal of PR guarenteed?
So, to summarize, piss or get off the pot.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 11:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

If you get CDN Citizenship and your Wife is on a PR status *and* accompanying you outside of Canada, she will never lose her PR.

My Wife was 11 years out of Canada on a PR status whilst married to me (CDN passport holder).
Old Nov 28th 2012, 1:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
If you get CDN Citizenship and your Wife is on a PR status *and* accompanying you outside of Canada, she will never lose her PR.
True, but completely irrelevant. FFS.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, you'd still need to sponsor them for PR.

And you're several years away from even being able to apply for citizenship anyway, so your wife and daughter will have lost PR by then unless they've moved with you.

Bottom line is that if you want to keep your PR, you need to move ASAP. You say your three years is 'nearly up', don't forget to leave yourself at least a few months leeway so that you can actually leave Canada - last thing you want is a family funeral/wedding/emergency in the UK and you unable to go!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 28th 2012 at 12:06 pm.