Wikiposts

Advice for moving to Canada..

Old May 30th 2007, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Ollie-679 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for moving to Canada..

Hi everyone,

I have discovered this website and have been very impressed with the wealth of information available on it.

I am planning on going out to Vancouver in August and was wondering what the situation is for working/visa's etc?

I am looking to go out there find a job see what it's like and maybe stay there more long term if things go okay...Would I be able to just start working on an EU passport, and if so for how long? And if I did get a job out there would I be able to apply (and wait) for a skilled worker visa while I am out in Canada?

I have looked on the Canadian immigration site but found it a bit confusing..

Thanks in advance for your help on this!

Ollie
Old May 30th 2007, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to allPaulCall is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice for moving to Canada..

Originally Posted by Ollie-679
Hi everyone,

I have discovered this website and have been very impressed with the wealth of information available on it.

I am planning on going out to Vancouver in August and was wondering what the situation is for working/visa's etc?

I am looking to go out there find a job see what it's like and maybe stay there more long term if things go okay...Would I be able to just start working on an EU passport, and if so for how long? And if I did get a job out there would I be able to apply (and wait) for a skilled worker visa while I am out in Canada?

I have looked on the Canadian immigration site but found it a bit confusing..

Thanks in advance for your help on this!

Ollie
hello.
you cant work on a eu passport....not possible whatsoever.
you would have to apply skilled worker....im not sure how that works....im going on a different route.....but no chance with an eu passport
Old May 30th 2007, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

lee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nicelee58uk is just really nice

If only it was that easy !! hope you dont mind waiting
Old May 30th 2007, 2:04 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I think the BE Wiki article entitled Canadian Immigration Overview is easier to understand than Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website.

Also look at the BE Wiki article on Careers in Canada. It has tips about job hunting and formatting your CV (resume) according to the Canadian convention.

Finally, if you're puzzled about the abbreviations that people toss around, there's a BE Wiki page on them too.
Old May 30th 2007, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As you can see, not as easy as just having an EU passport!

Good luck with your future plans!

Old May 30th 2007, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Ollie-679 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replys and info everyone.

I got my wires crossed, I was under the impression that with an EU passport you could to Canada and get a working holiday visa for 6 months (similar to Australia) which is not the case..

Rather then adding another application to the already massive pile of applications in the UK,Would it not be easier for me to go out to Vancouver get a job offer and apply for a work visa while I am out there?

It seems the process of getting a job in Canada would be a lot easier if I was actually out there then if I was still in the UK. Also would it not be a lot quicker to get a work visa if I am already out in Canada with a job offer?
Old May 30th 2007, 4:30 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ollie-679
It seems the process of getting a job in Canada would be a lot easier if I was actually out there then if I was still in the UK.
Yes. It is easier to "network" (a concept that is explained in the BE Wiki article about Careers in Canada) if you're physically in Canada.

Also would it not be a lot quicker to get a work visa if I am already out in Canada with a job offer?
No. As far as I know, Citizenship and Immigration Canada will not expedite your temporary work permit if you are in Canada as opposed to overseas. That said, a work permit application is of course a quicker way of securing authorisation to work in Canada than a permanent residence application.