Wikiposts

Advice for the move to Calgary

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Johnzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for the move to Calgary

I am 21, will be a part time student soon in college. I only get a 31 on the skilled workers self assessment and 67 is needed to pass.. my lack of experience and qualifications is holding me back a lot - I have no family in Canada and part-time student does not qualify me for a student visa (I think).

I kind of want a fresh start over in Calgary and would be willing to go alone and build a life up from scratch but I wouldn't even know where to start
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 1:32 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for the move to Calgary

Originally Posted by Johnzy
I am 21, will be a part time student soon in college. I only get a 31 on the skilled workers self assessment and 67 is needed to pass.. my lack of experience and qualifications is holding me back a lot - I have no family in Canada and part-time student does not qualify me for a student visa (I think).

I kind of want a fresh start over in Calgary and would be willing to go alone and build a life up from scratch but I wouldn't even know where to start
Hi Johnzy.....im sorry i can't help with the info you need but i just wanted to say welcome to BE......have a look on Wiki...at the bar at the top of this page...you might find some information on it....Good luck hun,
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 6:10 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

hi and welcome,

Have a look at Bunac/working holiday visa this would give you a year in Canada to be able to live/work.

I think applications for next year open again in Dec 08.

There are some members of BE who have been able to transfer from Bunac to a more permanant situation regarding visas on the back of a permenant job offer, although this may be difficult.

At least Bunac would give you a chance to see Canada and live there for a year to see if its for you for your long term future.

Here's the link to the wiki for this

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Working_Holiday_Visas

Good luck
Old Aug 24th 2008, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks nikki for the link - unfortunately it only applies to full-time students however I could go for the non-student option whenever they re-open it (hopefully they will)
Old Aug 24th 2008, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Just found this off the Alberta Skilled Workers site:

NOC Skill Level B: Skilled trade

Occupations usually require 18 to 72 months of apprenticeship training resulting in trade certification.

For examples of eligible occupations in this classification, see the related links for the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training list of Compulsory and Optional Certification Trades.
Trade occupation information

For Compulsory Certification Trades in Alberta Provincial Nominee (PN) Candidates must be certified journeypersons in their trade.

For Optional Certification Trades in Alberta, the Alberta PNP requires that PN Candidates be certified journeypersons in their trade from their home country or have obtained the minimum work experience requirements as set out by Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training.

Please note that the Alberta PNP will not nominate individuals in the apprenticeship stage.
Occupation association information

Many occupations in Alberta require an individual to be a registered member with the related association/institute/board. For example, physicians must be registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta. Please ensure that the applicable membership or registration is obtained prior to submitting an application to the Alberta PNP.
Would this mean I could go to Canada and work for someone while doing an appreniceship with them and after the 18 months I could apply for PR OR does it mean I would have to have at least 18 months experience in my own country and then get a job with an employer in Calgary that is a suitable job under the NOC?
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnzy
Just found this off the Alberta Skilled Workers site:

Would this mean I could go to Canada and work for someone while doing an appreniceship with them and after the 18 months I could apply for PR OR does it mean I would have to have at least 18 months experience in my own country and then get a job with an employer in Calgary that is a suitable job under the NOC?
Unfortunately, you cannot get a TWP for an apprenticeship. You would need to have experience in your own country I'm afraid. Skilled trades need a certain number of hours of experience i.e. for an electrician it's 9000 hours, and those hours cannot include any done as an apprentice.

Your best bet, as others have said, is to go via BUNAC. That will only give you a year though, and the problem you will have is that at the end of that, even if you have managed to get a TWP, you would still be unable to apply for PR - even with the extra points for arranged employment you still wouldn't have enough to apply. Really sorry to be so negative about it but your main problem is that you would never be able to stay in Canada permanently, unless you marry a Canadian!

I wish you the best of luck.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Well if I learn't some french, got a years work experience in Canada and arranged employment before the second time I went to Canada then I would get to 68 points

But yes BRUNAC would seem the best option at the minute and would get me the years experience and I could learn french on the side