Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice on Labour Market Opinion, audit, no expedite case

Advice on Labour Market Opinion, audit, no expedite case

Old Dec 10th 2014, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice on Labour Market Opinion, audit, no expedite case

In summary:

I am British and I participated in the IEC program twice (first time through Bunac and the second time directly through the IEC website). I had the IEC from June 2011 - June 2013.

I worked for the same employer from July 2011 - June 2013 and in June when my IEC expired my employer agreed to apply for an LMO/LMIA for me.

I went on a working holiday in Australia from July 2013 - January 2014 and while I was in Australia my Canadian employer applied for the LMO for me.

Unfortunately they made a few mistakes, such as underpaying me for my 2 years there and Service Canada refused because my salary was not the Canadian standard for my position, and by the time I came back into Canada I did not have my closed work permit so I entered as a visitor.

My employer reapplied for the LMO in February but in April 2014 Service Canada began auditing them. While the audit is ongoing Service Canada cannot process any LMO applications for my employer (there are 3 employees they are helping get an LMO).

So I have been in limbo since January, there has been no news. In June Service Canada refused to expedite the case and all I am ever told is to wait which does not pay the bills.

My Canadian wife was a student until June 2014 but is now working, we applied for outland family sponsorship in September and we have received sponsor approval, our file was sent to London.

Is there any advice you can give on what I can do? My ultimate goal is to return to work ASAP. I am an IT Consultant, degree educated. I know the IEC is opening soon, is there any chance the rules will be changed to allow Brits to participate in it more than twice?

We contacted our MP and she spoke to Service Canada regarding the audit but was told they have no idea of a timeline.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Dec 11th 2014, 12:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Labour Market Opinion, audit, no expedite case

Is PNP an option?

That's really your only other option if you can't the LMIA, don't have PR and can't apply for another IEC (no, I don't think it will change to more than 2 personally).

If PNP isn't possible, then I'm afraid I don't think there's anything to do other than wait I'm afraid. Hopefully your PR will come through in the first quarter of 2015 if you applied in Sept.

Good luck.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

Back in 2012 or so I was looking into worker schemes to get PR (PNP, FSW) and I applied to Alberta and received a nomination. However I was told that I needed my employer to apply with me at the same time and they were not willing to do so at that time so the certificate just gathered dust.

And according to the website it takes 33 months for a UK applicant for PNP, is that right?

What is killing me is we were actually common law when we first arrived back in June 2011 but I had a 2 year visa and thought my employer would sponsor me. We never even knew CL was an option.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 6:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewbrit
And according to the website it takes 33 months for a UK applicant for PNP, is that right?
It is, but that's for the whole process to get PR - it doesn't take that long to get nomination (when you'd get a work permit).

Having said that though, if you're in Alberta (you didn't say which province you were in in your first post), it's not going to be an option as it's the province with the lengthiest processing time for nomination at the moment, and you wouldn't have it before you get PR as a spouse.

So I'm sorry, but from what you've said, there's nothing you can do but wait I'm afraid. Good luck.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. When I applied for a nomination in 2012 I got it in a month or so, it wasn't long at all. By nomination I mean I applied for a PNP certificate and got it, maybe there is another stage after that. I did not receive a work permit when I got the certificate though. Oh well, back to slowly going insane!
Old Dec 11th 2014, 6:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the info. When I applied for a nomination in 2012 I got it in a month or so, it wasn't long at all. By nomination I mean I applied for a PNP certificate and got it, maybe there is another stage after that.
No, there isn't, that is nomination, it's just that processing times have lengthened considerably since then.

I did not receive a work permit when I got the certificate though.
You don't automatically receive it, but you can use the nomination to apply for a work permit.

HTH.