Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice for Irish person wanting to renew working holiday visa for Canada

Advice for Irish person wanting to renew working holiday visa for Canada

Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

chinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for Irish person wanting to renew working holiday visa for Canada

Hi,

I'm Irish, living in Vancouver. Looking for some advice/information.
My visa expires January 24th, one year working holiday visa.
As far as i'm aware Irish people can renew it, but i think i may have left it too late and not get it in time. (by Jan 24th)

Does anyone know what my options are...
If i can renew it, how long it takes.
I heard that if i apply for PR that would give me another 3 months, is that correct? How would i go about that - would i need to get my employer to sponsor me to stay here?

Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Irish person wanting to renew working holiday visa for Canada

I think that once you've submitted an application you can stay on the same basis until a decision has been made. That was the case when renewing my TWPs but I'm not sure about working holiday visas.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Irish person wanting to renew working holiday visa for Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Unfortunately, you cannot extend a WHV. This also means that the above post is not relevant to your situation - 'implied status' can be used for a normal TWP, but not a WHV.

Your only options are to either apply for a 2nd WHV, or to get your employer to apply for a LMO, or to get your employer to sponsor you for the PNP (which would give you a work permit after the first stage is approved).

It's very unlikely that any of those options are going to mean you can work past your visa expiring though, so you'll probably have to switch to a visitor visa and stop working whilst you wait for WHV/LMO/PNP.

Good luck.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Default Time frame for applying for LMO/WHV for Irish in Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Unfortunately, you cannot extend a WHV. This also means that the above post is not relevant to your situation - 'implied status' can be used for a normal TWP, but not a WHV.

Your only options are to either apply for a 2nd WHV, or to get your employer to apply for a LMO, or to get your employer to sponsor you for the PNP (which would give you a work permit after the first stage is approved).

It's very unlikely that any of those options are going to mean you can work past your visa expiring though, so you'll probably have to switch to a visitor visa and stop working whilst you wait for WHV/LMO/PNP.

Good luck.
Ok, thanks for that information.

Does anyone have a time-frame for the routes mentioned above:
1. 2nd WHV
2. Employer apply for LMO
3. Sponsored for PNP

Also are there a limited number of WHV available and is it likely all have been snapped up?
I am working in a cafe, would my position be adequate to get a LMO or PNP, or would i need to have a 'skilled position, one that not many Canadians can do'??
If my employer applied for the LMO, what would that then give me? Another work permit for that job specifically?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time frame for applying for LMO/WHV for Irish in Canada

Hi

Originally Posted by chinn
Ok, thanks for that information.

Does anyone have a time-frame for the routes mentioned above:
1. 2nd WHV
2. Employer apply for LMO
3. Sponsored for PNP

Also are there a limited number of WHV available and is it likely all have been snapped up?
I am working in a cafe, would my position be adequate to get a LMO or PNP, or would i need to have a 'skilled position, one that not many Canadians can do'??
If my employer applied for the LMO, what would that then give me? Another work permit for that job specifically?

Thanks again.

1. Processing time about 8-12 weeks if last year was an indication.
2. LMOs? depends on the province, but again, a minimum of 2 weeks advertising the position on the job bank for 2 weeks, and about 8 weeks for the LMO. If it is not a skilled position, I would not hold out much hope for approval.
3. PNP approval time? Each province is different, but note again if it is an unskilled or semi skilled, it has to be in a Province where they will process unskilled and semi skilled applications. BC will look at the following occupations http://tinyurl.com/76dnfyf
4. IEC for Ireland has not opened for 2012 yet.
5. If your employer got an LMO it would be for a closed work permit at that job/location only.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Processing time about 8-12 weeks if last year was an indication.
2. LMOs? depends on the province, but again, a minimum of 2 weeks advertising the position on the job bank for 2 weeks, and about 8 weeks for the LMO. If it is not a skilled position, I would not hold out much hope for approval.
3. PNP approval time? Each province is different, but note again if it is an unskilled or semi skilled, it has to be in a Province where they will process unskilled and semi skilled applications. BC will look at the following occupations http://tinyurl.com/76dnfyf
4. IEC for Ireland has not opened for 2012 yet.
5. If your employer got an LMO it would be for a closed work permit at that job/location only.
Thanks
I'm in BC.

2. So it sounds like a LMO is out of the question for a food/beverage server?
3. But you say BC will look at food/beverage server for PNP? What is the time frame in BC for that? Don't they issue a temp work Visa to allow you to stay whilst everything else is being processed?

4. Do you have any more info on the IEC? This is the first i've heard of it, i just registered my email for it, is that another batch of WHV released later?

Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

2. So it sounds like a LMO is out of the question for a food/beverage server?
Worth a try, but as PMM said you're looking at about 10-12 weeks in total for a decision, and of course it may be negative after that.

3. But you say BC will look at food/beverage server for PNP? What is the time frame in BC for that? Don't they issue a temp work Visa to allow you to stay whilst everything else is being processed?
They do, but it's currently taking about 4 months to get to that stage. If you read up on the BC PNP website (semi-skilled stream I believe would apply to you) then you can find out all about it and check that you and your company qualify.

4. Do you have any more info on the IEC? This is the first i've heard of it, i just registered my email for it, is that another batch of WHV released later?
No, IEC is what you are currently there on - 'International Experience Class' visa. You got yours through USIT, but it is an IEC. So it's the same thing but for the 2012 program, I know the UK one is due to open in about January time, not sure about Ireland though. Then you'd have a 8-10 week wait for a visa.

HTH, good luck.

Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Is switching to a Visitor Visa just a case of going through the boarder and coming back in again? Or is there somewhere to sort that out without having to leave...

What kind of questions will they ask... will they need to see proof of a departure date in the future? Will i have to show proof i can financially support myself without working for x months?

How long is the visitor visa valid?

Thanks alot!

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Good luck.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You could cal 1 888 242 2100 which is the CIC call centre but you wont be able to speak to CPC Vegreville directly.
Failing that leave Canada and try re-entering and be examined by an officer and explaining your circumstances.
Obviously you would have to satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada and that you have sufficient funds etc.
Your problem is already being issued a TWP the officer might think you would be working as opposed to being a genuine bona fide visitor i.e no work no study. You could be refused at the POE so something to bear in mind if going that route.
The officer can restrict your time allowed as a visitor as opposed to the normal 6 months allowed.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

Do you know if she can leave and re-enter on the same day (the last day of her visit) or would she need to leave on the last day of her visit and then re-enter the next day (once visa has expired).
thanks!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You could cal 1 888 242 2100 which is the CIC call centre but you wont be able to speak to CPC Vegreville directly.
Failing that leave Canada and try re-entering and be examined by an officer and explaining your circumstances.
Obviously you would have to satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada and that you have sufficient funds etc.
Your problem is already being issued a TWP the officer might think you would be working as opposed to being a genuine bona fide visitor i.e no work no study. You could be refused at the POE so something to bear in mind if going that route.
The officer can restrict your time allowed as a visitor as opposed to the normal 6 months allowed.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You can leave and re enter on the same day.