Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice on Immigration Consultants/Lawyers

Advice on Immigration Consultants/Lawyers

Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Jenks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Immigration Consultants/Lawyers

I'm in the very early stages of the process (be gentle with me!!) and am looking to engage a consultant or lawyer to assist with my Skilled Visa application.

Been through the forum over the last few days and have picked up on a few horror stories can anyone give any top tips things to look out for etc when choosing a consultant or lawyer?

There are many advertising their services, where do you start?? :scared:

Thanks

Jenks
Old Sep 20th 2004, 3:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Immigration Consultants/Lawyers

Originally Posted by Jenks
I'm in the very early stages of the process (be gentle with me!!) and am looking to engage a consultant or lawyer to assist with my Skilled Visa application.

Been through the forum over the last few days and have picked up on a few horror stories can anyone give any top tips things to look out for etc when choosing a consultant or lawyer?

Thanks

Jenks
Make sure they are either a lawyer registered with a canadian provincial legal association, or a member of CSIC for starters. Noone else can represent you (for money) as far as CIC are concerned.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi Jenks,
we use an immigration agency, based in london, they have been very useful for us, doesn't make it any quicker, but they are really helpful with the paper work and advice, don't charge a forture like some do, if you want info pm me and can give you more details.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

peter d'souza is an unknown quantity at this point

I hired an immigration attorney, and paid a lot thinking the process would be too complicated for me to handle alone.

In hindsight, I know I am wrong - IT IS EASY - just fill in the forms slowly and carefully - from my personal experience I can assure you there is no need for a lawyer - lawyers just make the whole thing sound complicated as part of their marketing gimmicks.

Originally Posted by Jenks

Thanks

Jenks
Old Sep 21st 2004, 8:47 am
Just Joined

SaltySeaDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Advice on Immigration Consultants/Lawyers

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi Jenks,
we use an immigration agency, based in london, they have been very useful for us, doesn't make it any quicker, but they are really helpful with the paper work and advice, don't charge a forture like some do, if you want info pm me and can give you more details.

Hi there,
We have just decided to apply for a visa and am interested to know the details of the immigration agency in London - always good to have a recommended agency!
The most confusing thought I have at the moment is: do we have to submit every single document (eg police check, letters from every single employer in the last 10 years etc) in the first instant - ie: when we hand in our "application"???
Any advice appreciated!
Old Sep 21st 2004, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hi there,
yes you do have to send in that info to agency, although police checks take a while to arrive you send them in when they do, all other paper work you send earlier. We are with agency in london, i'll pm you with details.
Old Sep 21st 2004, 3:01 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Just make sure that person consulting you in the agency in London (not the agency itself or their "associate" in Canada) is authorized to represent you - that means is the member of Law Society in Canada (if a lawyer) or member of CSIC (if a consultant). Don't hire nor pay anyone who isn't, regardless what kind of "association" with authorized practitioner they may claim. See here to find out who may represent and counsel you for a fee:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...paid-reps.html

Originally Posted by SaltySeaDog
Hi there,
We have just decided to apply for a visa and am interested to know the details of the immigration agency in London - always good to have a recommended agency!
The most confusing thought I have at the moment is: do we have to submit every single document (eg police check, letters from every single employer in the last 10 years etc) in the first instant - ie: when we hand in our "application"???
Any advice appreciated!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:50 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by peter d'souza
I hired an immigration attorney, and paid a lot thinking the process would be too complicated for me to handle alone.

In hindsight, I know I am wrong - IT IS EASY - just fill in the forms slowly and carefully - from my personal experience I can assure you there is no need for a lawyer - lawyers just make the whole thing sound complicated as part of their marketing gimmicks.
I agree with peter unless you are really tight on points or have some security issues in your past.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:58 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

The manuals on the CIC website are well worth looking at. I didn't notice that they were there at first, but when I'd discovered them it made the application a process a lot clearer.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/.../op/index.html
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

SaltySeaDog is an unknown quantity at this point

We're comfortable with the forms and have printed out the manuals - very helpful. What we're concerned about is, for example, things like 10 year's worth of employment contracts required etc. Any advice on this, or will it just mean that the process is slowed down if these can't be obtained?

Aslo, do we have to submit every single thing at the same time to start the ball rolling? ie things like police checks may take a bit of time to come through (and we're quite impatient to get cracking!!!)

Does anyone know how strict the authorities are on such things as dates of short term rented accommodation or casual summer jobs 10 years ago?

Salty

Originally Posted by mhhp
I agree with peter unless you are really tight on points or have some security issues in your past.
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We're comfortable with the forms and have printed out the manuals - very helpful. What we're concerned about is, for example, things like 10 year's worth of employment contracts required etc. Any advice on this, or will it just mean that the process is slowed down if these can't be obtained?

Aslo, do we have to submit every single thing at the same time to start the ball rolling? ie things like police checks may take a bit of time to come through (and we're quite impatient to get cracking!!!)

Does anyone know how strict the authorities are on such things as dates of short term rented accommodation or casual summer jobs 10 years ago?

Salty
If you don't obtain the required documents such as employment contracts and don't have a reasonable explanation of why they were unobtainable, the process will not only be slowed down, your application will be returned. The same as if you don't submit the Police Certificates, it will be returned. Your application should be complete as possible, unless you wish to lengthen the process by having to wait an additional year because CIC wants to interview you to clear up something that was incomplete or missing in your application.

PMM
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:34 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

All documents listed in the visa post specific checklists (both - generic visa post specific from CIC website and the one from CHC London website, if you are applying through London) must be submitted with the application.

10 years (or since 18th birthday, whichever is longer) of personal history and addresses must be provided in great details, with no gaps.

Same with 10 years worth of employment reference letters, contracts and other evidence verifying employment periods, full or part time (number of hours per week), salaries and most importantly duties permormed is a must as well.

Never try to be minimalistic when preparing application package - you won't be given any benefit of the doubt, officer will not assume anything and any claim that is not conslusively documented will not be counted. It is not a child's play - it is a serious and very strict process, so be serious too.

Salty
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 7:21 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

If you don't obtain the required documents such as employment contracts and don't have a reasonable explanation of why they were unobtainable, the process will not only be slowed down, your application will be returned. The same as if you don't submit the Police Certificates, it will be returned. Your application should be complete as possible, unless you wish to lengthen the process by having to wait an additional year because CIC wants to interview you to clear up something that was incomplete or missing in your application.

PMM

I agree with PMM,

be meticulous and thorough. Contact all your old employers get all the original documents. The more detail the better. Employment info is not only used to verify your qualification, but also for the security check to ensure what you have done in the past.

I think of it as "unless you proove what you did every month they will assume you spent that time in a terrorist training camp"

Its alot of work, and no lawyer can help you on that one, but its worth it.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

tom thumb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hard to say really

i am glad i got help.I am using abrams krochak in toronto.O.K it is money you
can save on but my application would have been far too hastily put together by me and would have probably missed things out.At least they can tell you what to do if you are stuck getting references etc,It cost about £1100.