Advice on IEC???

Old Sep 10th 2012, 10:20 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Chukki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on IEC???

Hi!

I am hoping that some of you kind knowledgeble folk out there can help me out with a few queries on Canada!

Firstly, a little about myself...I am a 27 year old male, single and currently work for a multi national pharmaceutical distributor in Northern Ireland, although my job would be technically deemed unskilled work. I am currently torn between a Working Holiday Visa for Canada or one for Australia. I have many friends currently embarking on their adventures in Oz, but personally I would prefer Canada, in particular the Greater Toronto Area. Originally, I was considering spending 2013 in Australia and then travelling on to Canada to participate in the IEC in 2014, but I realise that this may not be feasible, as I think I read somewhere that you must have spent the last three years in the UK or Ireland before applying for the program, is this true?

My passport...As I was born in Northern Ireland, I am entitled to either an Irish or British passport. Is this an important issue? Would either nationality boost my chances over the other of long term residency and what benefits would I be entitled to as a citizen of Ireland or Britain? (e.g. healthcare etc.)

My long term aspirations...My ambition is to become a full time Canadian resident in the long term and build a life for myself in Canada, although I know the IEC only lasts one year. I had planned to enter Canada on the IEC, and work my ass off for a year in the hope that my employer would offer me a full time work permit. What are my realistic chances of this or of sponsorship to extend my stay beyond one year? I know many people from my local area that received sponsorship after their Working Holiday Visa in Australia expired, and with relative ease, is this a similar trend in Canada or are they more strict? Would I face any particular obstacles that I could prepare for?

Are employers generally reluctant to employ IEC participants, due to the extra paperwork and legislation? Is there a maximum period of time I can stay in one job during the IEC? I would be interested mainly in warehousing work, such as storage and production depots, with general warehousing duties, forklift driving for example. I have been working in this environment for the last seven years in Northern Ireland and I am thoroughly experienced in this field, strong references from highly reputable companies can also be provided on request. In saying that, I am more than willing to undertake any job in Canada if needs be!

What advice would you give on accomodation and cost of living? I am travelling alone and interested in locating to the Greater Toronto Area, would I be best temporarily staying somewhere cheap when I arrive (e.g. a hostel for a few weeks) and search for full time accomodation from there? Or would it be best to have accomodation sorted out before I arrive in Canada? Roughly how much would a one bedroom apartment cost to rent per week? Is it feasible to survive comfortably when taking into account bills, food, other living costs when put against the weekly income of an unskilled worker on IEC?

I realise that there are a lot of questions I need answered, and any help or advice, no matter how small, would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!
Chukki is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:25 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Siphorous's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 266
Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Couple of things on IEC. You can apply again for a second year, whilst you coming to the end of your current one.

Also, if you are able to get an Irish or a U.K. passport for citizenship purposes - then the Irish one may be better as the age requirement is 18-35 for the Republic of Ireland (currently).

That might give you time to go to Australia if you so wish, come back - still get your 3 year habitual residency (which is a requirement) and then still do two consecutive years of IEC.

However, if it seems likely that an employer is willing to go through the LMO/TWP route or sponsor you for PR (which will also need an LMO next year if the proposed changes come into force) - then it might not be worth applying for a second year. It can't hurt to - just in case the LMO is turned down, then you can carry on working under the second IEC.
Siphorous is offline  
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:28 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Siphorous's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 266
Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

What I am uncertain of - but think is unlikely - is whether or not IEC counts towards Canadian Experience Class which you will only need 1 year of from next year assuming the proposed changes come into force.

That would avoid the LMO/TWP or LMO/PR (employer permanent job offer) routes but...

...my feeling is from what I've read here and other places that IEC does NOT count.

Hopefully those here who've been on IEC can confirm/deny that.
Siphorous is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:06 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
andyhughes88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 38
andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Chukki I am looking at doing the same thing, applying for the 2013 IEC allocation, but heading out in early 2014 to enable me enough time to save up - I want at least £8000 saved for peace of mind.

There is a bit of uncertainty from what I've picked up so far in that realistically your best option is to be on the ground in Canada, find skilled work and hope that if you make an impression that company is willing to apply for a LMO for your position and enable you to obtain a TWP to continue working there once IEC expires. I know it takes a while for TWP applications and LMOs to go through with reports of up to 12 weeks for the LMO alone!! I'm hoping I can find out relatively early on in my IEC year whether the company has long term ambition for me and get my app. in asap!

I will then probably go the TWP>PR via CEC route as two years uninterupted work experience in Canada in a skilled profession (i.e. occupations in 0, A or B) will enable you to meet the main criteria for CEC permenant residence.

This is my understanding anyway... that is my plan and I hope it comes good!

If you want to share any info PM me by all means and I'll update you with what I've found, vice versa etc.

Andy
andyhughes88 is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:12 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
andyhughes88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 38
andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Originally Posted by Siphorous
What I am uncertain of - but think is unlikely - is whether or not IEC counts towards Canadian Experience Class which you will only need 1 year of from next year assuming the proposed changes come into force.

That would avoid the LMO/TWP or LMO/PR (employer permanent job offer) routes but...

...my feeling is from what I've read here and other places that IEC does NOT count.

Hopefully those here who've been on IEC can confirm/deny that.
From what I've researched so far regarding CEC the CIC website states that you must be a "temporary foreign worker with at least two years full time skilled work experience in Canada" and that you have "•have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization".

The IEC is proper work authorization and the website certainly doesnt state that it discards experience gained whilst working on an IEC permit.

Its a bit confusing??
andyhughes88 is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:17 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
andyhughes88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 38
andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Heres your answer from FAQ section on CIC, CEC page:


"Canada has agreements with several countries to allow their citizens to work in Canada temporarily on a working holiday. If part or all of my work experience in Canada was gained under such working holiday programs, can it be counted toward the work experience requirement in the Canadian Experience Class?

Yes — However, your work experience must still be classified as NOC 0, A or B under the National Occupational Classification system."
andyhughes88 is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:23 am
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,868
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
From what I've researched so far regarding CEC the CIC website states that you must be a "temporary foreign worker with at least two years full time skilled work experience in Canada" and that you have "•have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization".

The IEC is proper work authorization and the website certainly doesnt state that it discards experience gained whilst working on an IEC permit.

Its a bit confusing??
I would wait a little while as there are expected changes to the Canadian Experience Class. Rumour has it that it may change to 12 months experience.
The Canadian work experience requirement would be reduced from 24 months to 12 in the preceding 36 months, to allow faster transition for those who have already proven their employability in Canada’s labour market. Accumulating 12 months of authorized work within the preceding 36 is more flexible for applicants working in Canada under international agreements (e.g. International Experience Canada). Only applicants with NOC 0, A or B work experience would continue to qualify for the CEC.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Sep 11th 2012 at 12:28 am.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:00 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
andyhughes88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 38
andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Thanks lancastrian that's really useful to know. By the time I'm out there I'm guessing the changes will already be in effect too. Do you know if the rumours about Cec being issued only if a positive LMO is attained being true also?
andyhughes88 is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:05 am
  #9  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,868
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
Thanks lancastrian that's really useful to know. By the time I'm out there I'm guessing the changes will already be in effect too. Do you know if the rumours about Cec being issued only if a positive LMO is attained being true also?
TBH no idea. Im sure over the next few months a final decision will be made by CIC regarding all programmes and PMM or others will post such and have all the rumours confirmed or quashed.
My comments with thanks to PMM are taken from this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...canada+gazette
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:57 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Siphorous's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 266
Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
Heres your answer from FAQ section on CIC, CEC page:


"Canada has agreements with several countries to allow their citizens to work in Canada temporarily on a working holiday. If part or all of my work experience in Canada was gained under such working holiday programs, can it be counted toward the work experience requirement in the Canadian Experience Class?

Yes — However, your work experience must still be classified as NOC 0, A or B under the National Occupational Classification system."
Aha.

So it would seem that although those on IEC can do pretty much anything, only if work is in 0, A or B will it count towards CEC.

That makes sense and does clear that up.

As for the LMO question, as far as the proposed changes are concerned (which as FL said, could change) - that only applies to the Arranged Employment Offer.

Whereas currently AEO doesn't require an LMO, the proposed changes for next year do require it and the only change currently to CEC that I can see is what FL has said already with regards to 12 months experience instead of 24.
Siphorous is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:45 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Chukki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Originally Posted by Siphorous
Couple of things on IEC. You can apply again for a second year, whilst you coming to the end of your current one.

Also, if you are able to get an Irish or a U.K. passport for citizenship purposes - then the Irish one may be better as the age requirement is 18-35 for the Republic of Ireland (currently).

That might give you time to go to Australia if you so wish, come back - still get your 3 year habitual residency (which is a requirement) and then still do two consecutive years of IEC.

However, if it seems likely that an employer is willing to go through the LMO/TWP route or sponsor you for PR (which will also need an LMO next year if the proposed changes come into force) - then it might not be worth applying for a second year. It can't hurt to - just in case the LMO is turned down, then you can carry on working under the second IEC.
Thank you Siphorous, this is a great help!!!
Chukki is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:47 pm
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Chukki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
Chukki I am looking at doing the same thing, applying for the 2013 IEC allocation, but heading out in early 2014 to enable me enough time to save up - I want at least £8000 saved for peace of mind.

There is a bit of uncertainty from what I've picked up so far in that realistically your best option is to be on the ground in Canada, find skilled work and hope that if you make an impression that company is willing to apply for a LMO for your position and enable you to obtain a TWP to continue working there once IEC expires. I know it takes a while for TWP applications and LMOs to go through with reports of up to 12 weeks for the LMO alone!! I'm hoping I can find out relatively early on in my IEC year whether the company has long term ambition for me and get my app. in asap!

I will then probably go the TWP>PR via CEC route as two years uninterupted work experience in Canada in a skilled profession (i.e. occupations in 0, A or B) will enable you to meet the main criteria for CEC permenant residence.

This is my understanding anyway... that is my plan and I hope it comes good!

If you want to share any info PM me by all means and I'll update you with what I've found, vice versa etc.

Andy
Thanks very much for your help Andy, hope everything works out for you man!
Chukki is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:23 pm
  #13  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,102
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Originally Posted by Siphorous
So it would seem that although those on IEC can do pretty much anything, only if work is in 0, A or B will it count towards
Yes, although usually the major problem is that to get the requisite two years work experience, an applicant would need to start working the day they arrive in Canada, and of course it takes most people a little while to find a job.

However, that would change if the work experience requirement is reduced to 12 months as predicted.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:03 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
andyhughes88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 38
andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

In my opinion, if the rumours are true, it appears as though they may be looking to attract younger skilled workers to come initially on short term TWPs, IECs and use this as an opportunity to sort out those who want to let off a bit of steam and primarily travel with some work, and those who are serious about migrating, working, and filling skilled jobs.

For the latter, it would seem that under new changes, they would be rewarded for their hard work by being gifted a more simple route for transition to PR status via new CEC rules.

Last edited by andyhughes88; Sep 12th 2012 at 12:06 am.
andyhughes88 is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2012, 12:04 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
andyhughes88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 38
andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on IEC???

Originally Posted by Chukki
Thanks very much for your help Andy, hope everything works out for you man!
No probs, keep in touch and let me know how it goes!
andyhughes88 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.