Advice on future intentions?

Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

HaydnE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on future intentions?

I am currently 20 years old serving an HGV mechanics apprenticeship in the UK at a Mercedes-Benz main dealer, of which I have 2+ years left.

Upon completion of this I will be qualified in a trade, however for a number of years I have wanted to join the Royal Marines. Presuming that I completed recruit training and served my minimum time in the marines, where would I go after that in terms of moving to canada? Could I move directly on my apprenticeship or would I likely have to go back to working for a few years before trying to move?
Or leave it a few years before leaving to join the forces?

I know alot of this is very dependant and a long way off and anything could happen in the meantime, but its just something I would appreciate peoples opinions on even if it does sound a bit naive.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 9:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on future intentions?

To many variable to give a definitive answer, plus so much can change in immigration between now and then. What works now, may be quite different in a few years.

Whatever your trade, with experience would likley be the best way to go. If you join the forces and continue as a mechanic, this may work for you, as you gained experience and stand a better chance of work. You would still need to sit exams in Canada, but with the relevant experience, about 9000 hours, you only need to write the challenge exam.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to come to Canada, and you are a UK citizen, the best chance you've got is applying before you're 30 for an IEC Work Permit, most likely when you've finished your apprenticeship.

In some provinces you can work in your trade without provincial licensing; in others you can't.

If you get invited to apply for a Work Permit via IEC, it would be a two year open work permit (it means you can work for any employer).

Find out if you’re eligible – International Experience Canada

However, IEC/2 years in Canada before you're 30 may conflict with your aspirations of joining the Marines.

S
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HaydnE
I am currently 20 years old serving an HGV mechanics apprenticeship in the UK at a Mercedes-Benz main dealer, of which I have 2+ years left.

Upon completion of this I will be qualified in a trade, however for a number of years I have wanted to join the Royal Marines. Presuming that I completed recruit training and served my minimum time in the marines, where would I go after that in terms of moving to canada? Could I move directly on my apprenticeship or would I likely have to go back to working for a few years before trying to move?

I know alot of this is very dependant and a long way off and anything could happen in the meantime, but its just something I would appreciate peoples opinions on even if it does sound a bit naive.
Any reason why the Marines? With your apprenticeship in mechanics you might find REME a better fit in that you can join the forces with all the advantages it brings but also continue to develop your trade skills for when you return to civie street.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HaydnE

The immigration system used for Canada has changed and continues to change with time. Around 5-10 years ago a HGV mechanic would have had a good chance of getting employment and getting into Canada, but now it is less so. I would say it has gradually become harder and harder to emigrate to Canada though.

It will be hard for anyone to advise you on that far ahead into the future. However the only sure fire thing I could say would be the more qualifications you have (degree etc.), the more likely you'll be able to move to another country. You could hope that in the future HGV mechanics or similar will be skills in demand, but you'll never know until the time comes.

I'd say your options are:
  • Improve your academic qualifications which will make you more desirable as an economic migrant.
  • Go into the Marines, although I second what Engineer Abroad says, REME may be a better fit.
  • Try and IEC before or after the above choices to decide if Canada is a good fit.
Best of luck
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 6:00 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to go on boats, join the Navy as an engineer. Go see lots of different places, meet different people, you just don't get to shoot at them.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 5:57 am
Just Joined

HaydnE is an unknown quantity at this point

Massively appreciate all the replies,
The main attraction with the marines is the actual soldiering of it, rather than just being in the forces for th of sake of it.

Spoke to a work colleague who has a friend in canada working for Freightliner, who said there may be a possible road there.

I think I will probably go down the route of an IEC as has been mentioned after my apprenticeship, as I will still be young enough afterwards to join the marines?