Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice for couple looking at using a study permit to gain initial entry to Canada

Advice for couple looking at using a study permit to gain initial entry to Canada

Old Nov 21st 2017, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

wibblyphil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for couple looking at using a study permit to gain initial entry to Canada

As a follow up to this, my wife and I attended the meeting on Sunday, and found it it be extremely helpful. The representative was clear without being pushy, and at no point did we feel we were being put under pressure to sign anything or commit to addition services. They clearly laid out what all our options were, and made us aware of a couple of thing that we hadn't realised.

We've been advised that if my wife can get her French language back up to scratch, our best path into Canada is through the Ontario PNP, so we're now looking at the best way of helping her do that and preparing for the TEF test that she will have to take.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for couple looking at using a study permit to gain initial entry to Canada

I'm confused, why does your wife need TEF for the Ontario PNP?? Are you sure they weren't talking about Quebec?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H1pp0S
Hi, the study permit route appears to be the only route for us into Canada. Are you happy to chat about your experiences with another couple, considering this route?
Hi H1pp0S,

Not a problem, apologies! I must have missed your post! feel free to PM me!
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

H1pp0S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Obitim
Hi H1pp0S,

Not a problem, apologies! I must have missed your post! feel free to PM me!
No problem Obitim, thank you
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Re post #17: There's a French speaking skilled worker stream for Ontario PNP.

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 21st 2017 at 1:47 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 1:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Re post #17: There's a French speaking skilled worker stream for Ontario PNP.
Yes, but that requires Level 7 in French! If the OP's wife is a rusty A Level standard that's going to be more than tough. Just seems really odd to me, I'm wondering if they mean Quebec perhaps?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes CLB7 didn't know the OP's wife's French was rusty A level. I didn't read the thread in detail.
Old Nov 21st 2017, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Interesting. What does CLB7 actually mean in terms of level of proficiency?
Old Nov 21st 2017, 3:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Language test equivalency charts
Old Nov 21st 2017, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by wibblyphil
Interesting. What does CLB7 actually mean in terms of level of proficiency?
It's equivalent to B1/C2 - French levels CEFR A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2

So effectively fluent or close to it. I don't doubt that your wife could get there if she once had A Level French, but I suspect it would take quite a while and I would personally leave that as a last resort. A job offer might be quicker and easier. Did they give you any other visa options?
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Without the French, our CRS score sits at 411. I understand that projections for pool picks are that the point cut offs are expected to drop, but my personal feeling is that our score is still probably just a little too low to rely on that as a way in.

A back up option has always been the study route, although that's very expensive. It does seem clear though that doing it this way would allow us to build up sufficient additional CRS points to put us comfortably within the bracket for selection.

Apart from this, no, there were no other possible visa options given.
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 6:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

But for Ontario PNP you only need 400, so why not just apply anyway, tick Ontario and hope you get an ITA from one of their 'normal' streams, rather than going through all the faff of intensive French tuition?
Old Nov 22nd 2017, 6:58 am
Just Joined

We understand that - the reason for the French thing is that we are generally doing everything we can that might increase our chances of getting in. My wife's French was very good, and having looked at the standards expected, there is a chance she could get it to the required level in time for the next test in London, which isn't until the end of February.

Our current situation is that we haven't even visited Canada yet - we're looking on making the trip between Christmas and the New Year for a couple of weeks to see if we'd actually want to live there. After we've done that we'll make a decision as to whether to pursue Permanent Residency. In the mean time, there's no harm in my wife working to improve her French.