Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advice on applying for visa - NOC codes

Advice on applying for visa - NOC codes

Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Bold1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on applying for visa - NOC codes

Help! Looking for some advice. My OH and I have been talking about moving to Canada for sometime. He previously worked there for a few months several years ago on a temp visa.

Anyway, we done the online questionairre and it said we would be eligible for the skilled worker visa.

I was a bit dubious about the outcome as I wasn't 100% sure about my OH's job title - it's very confusing. So found it difficult to pick the correct NOC code.

Next thing I know, we're at an immigrate to Canada show and we've paid £25 for Brazolot to do a consultation and check our eligibility. I've since read lots of things about them and no longer wish to go ahead with their consultation.

Looking online, all they do is fill in the forms which I'm sure we're capable of doing ourselves. I'm just so confused about the NOC titles. I don't want to be wasting our time applying if it's not something we can go for.

My OH is a calibration/dimensional engineer in the aerospace field. He basically does quality checks on engine parts for planes by scanning and measuring them.

Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Advice on applying for visa - NOC codes

Sorry if that post is a bit all over the place :/
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Bold1987
Anyway, we done the online questionairre and it said we would be eligible for the skilled worker visa.
Are you from Berkshire by any chance? The 'we done' rather than 'we did' seems to be a very Berkshire thing to say! But that's great, although have you checked your score on the CRS? Being eligible to apply and enter the pool of applicants is one thing, but there's no point in spending lots of money on getting things like your IELTS, ECA etc, if you don't score enough to then get selected from the pool and invited to apply for PR. You'll need to be scoring above approx 450-480, so just in case you haven't already checked that, do make that your first step.

Next thing I know, we're at an immigrate to Canada show and we've paid £25 for Brazolot to do a consultation and check our eligibility. I've since read lots of things about them and no longer wish to go ahead with their consultation.
Ah yes, lovely Brazolot charging £25 for something that pretty much every other consultant does for free.

Looking online, all they do is fill in the forms which I'm sure we're capable of doing ourselves.
Not only are you capable of it, but you don't even have to fill out paper forms anyway, as it's an online application now.

My OH is a calibration/dimensional engineer in the aerospace field. He basically does quality checks on engine parts for planes by scanning and measuring them.

Can anyone help me?
Not really I'm afraid, as only he knows what duties he does. He needs to find some suitable NOC codes (using the search), and then checking to see which best matches his daily duties. The duties are the important part, not the title. If you search for 'aerospace engineer' then you get 3 results, hopefully one of those will match but all are skilled anyway, so as long as you score enough on then you should be good to go.

HTH, best of luck with it.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Are you from Berkshire by any chance? The 'we done' rather than 'we did' seems to be a very Berkshire thing to say! But that's great, although have you checked your score on the CRS? Being eligible to apply and enter the pool of applicants is one thing, but there's no point in spending lots of money on getting things like your IELTS, ECA etc, if you don't score enough to then get selected from the pool and invited to apply for PR. You'll need to be scoring above approx 450-480, so just in case you haven't already checked that, do make that your first step.

Ah yes, lovely Brazolot charging £25 for something that pretty much every other consultant does for free.

Not only are you capable of it, but you don't even have to fill out paper forms anyway, as it's an online application now.

Not really I'm afraid, as only he knows what duties he does. He needs to find some suitable NOC codes (using the search), and then checking to see which best matches his daily duties. The duties are the important part, not the title. If you search for 'aerospace engineer' then you get 3 results, hopefully one of those will match but all are skilled anyway, so as long as you score enough on then you should be good to go.

HTH, best of luck with it.
Thank you!

I didn't realise there was a CRS calculator on the CiC website as well (that website can be a total minefield!). I just completed the CRS calculation and as a rough guide it's giving us 460 points. That's based on us both receiving top marks for our English tests... Might be a little optimistic since I proved earlier my English grammar isn't at its best haha!

It's a little on the low side of the points. We could end up in a pool with people who have much higher points and I'm guessing then it's just a waste? Or do you stay in the pool for 'X' amount of time? I guess my OH could try and get a job lined up first to boost the points. Not sure many companies are keen to do that though.

It might be something we need to fully look into in more detail. But thank you so much for your quick reply. Very much appreciated!
Old Feb 25th 2016, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

I didn't realise there was a CRS calculator on the CiC website as well (that website can be a total minefield!). I just completed the CRS calculation and as a rough guide it's giving us 460 points. That's based on us both receiving top marks for our English tests... Might be a little optimistic since I proved earlier my English grammar isn't at its best haha!

It's a little on the low side of the points. We could end up in a pool with people who have much higher points and I'm guessing then it's just a waste? Or do you stay in the pool for 'X' amount of time? I guess my OH could try and get a job lined up first to boost the points. Not sure many companies are keen to do that though.

It might be something we need to fully look into in more detail. But thank you so much for your quick reply. Very much appreciated!
460 points and I think you'd be fine. They've selected as low as 450 before, and a few rounds have been something like 453 or similar, so although you probably wouldn't get an ITA straight away, it shouldn't be impossible or take too long at 460.

Max points for IELTS would be what you'd expect as a native English speaker - I didn't mean to pick you up on your grammar earlier, it's just that I'm in Berkshire, and I've noticed people say 'I done' or 'we was' instead of 'I did/we were' here. It must be a local thing I think!

So sounds like you're good to go once you've figured out a NOC code, best of luck.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 1:43 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Max points for IELTS would be what you'd expect as a native English speaker
Make sure that you practice some online papers for IELTS. It's not a breeze as everyone seems to think. They mark quite harshly on the writing so don't try and use big words just keep it simple. I found the reading part a bit tricky and got marked down so my band was lower.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Are you from Berkshire by any chance? The 'we done' rather than 'we did' seems to be a very Berkshire thing to say!
I can confirm this is common in Essex, also.

Its up there as one of my faves, alongside "we was" instead of "we were".

EDIT: Staying on topic - I believe there is an email address you can contact with a list of duties and they help you with a 'best fit'. I queried it, at first, but used the code they recommended and had no issues.

Last edited by kswoosh; Feb 25th 2016 at 2:44 pm.