Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advantage/Disadvantage of sponsoring a spouse from within canada

Wikiposts

Advantage/Disadvantage of sponsoring a spouse from within canada

Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:32 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of sponsoring a spouse from within canada

That is another advantage of coming from a visa free country and is often used of course. I would suggest it for those who do not wish to work and then they get the best processing times and no separation.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:18 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Agreed. But the OP is British and it sounds like they want to work/study asap. Following 7yr old advice that London processing is >2ce as long, isn't helpful to them.

Besides, can't London applicants wait it out in Canada too? BritishVixen and others have done that, submitting their passports via FedEx when called for.

This is why I stated I did it a few years back -I did not ask anyone to follow 7 year old advice - I was not giving advice, merely sharing my situation, albeit a few years old!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Z-Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed. But the OP is British and it sounds like they want to work/study asap. Following 7yr old advice that London processing is >2ce as long, isn't helpful to them.

Besides, can't London applicants wait it out in Canada too? BritishVixen and others have done that, submitting their passports via FedEx when called for.
I've posted before on my personal situation. Sponsored by my wife in Jan 2004 and still waiting for conclusion of background check more than 34 months after London started processing my application with no end in sight. I suppose it is just as well we are both here in England.

My question is, if we now moved to Canada now instead of continuing to wait here would this affect the processing and could I start to work before I got PR?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked for MapleDragon the other day, they're currently opening/processing apps received in March 06. Your turn next.
Fingers crossed then. We've a ton more evidence of cohabitation now than we had when we submitted the application and our lawyer thought it solid then so we should be ok. It'll be an adventure if they reject it and deport her though, I guess I'll end up with her cars and her half of the farm!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Blimeygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
New to this forum (but a veteran forum user for an expat forum in Germany) so please bear with me.

Our situation:
- I am a Canadian citizen
- my husband is British
- we live & work in Germany and have done now for 3 years
- we have bought a house in the Toronto area and plan to move back to Canada - I will likely go back to my old company - I was there for 10 years prior and left in good standing

Is it a wiser if he comes here on a work permit and then applies inland for PR -I would be sponsoring him under family class

I understand the waiting times are pretty crazy and it is logistically more difficult to sponsor from overseas i.e. Germany.
The one stipulation I seem to keep running across is that you have to be living in Canada when the PR is granted, which seems a bit backwards to me as how do you know when to make the move as they cannot give you any indication of timing?

The other thing I cannot seem to work out is although we know he does not need a TRV to enter Canada, how long is he entitled to stay here?
In Germany it was made very clear that visitors have 90-days but I cannot find anything on CIC that says how long a non-TRV visitor can stay here without having a PR or work permit (or other such visa).

Any help you can provide on this would be ideal.
We are taking a look at the various topics on the forum and wading through them but figure it is best to just plunge in at the moment with the risk of being redundant and possibly merged by the mods

Thanks!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:22 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I suugest you check out the CIC's website and look for the Spousal Sponsorship categories. Try www.cic.gc.ca
You certainly can sponsor your husband while you are in Germany and that may be the best option for you. It is also possible to have your husband come to Canada with you and be sponsored inland. The disadvantage of that would be that he could not work for some months. Speed of processing depends on individual cases but, normally, overseas processing is fastest.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

louisasurreygirl is on a distinguished road

We are currently going through the PR application through spousal sponsorship. I live with my husband here in Canada, and work (albeit rather cheekily through the use of a Bunac visa). We decided to go the 'outside Canada' route, primarily (a) as Bliink was indicating, a good 9 times out of 10 it is much faster than the inland route; and (b) if you do the inland route, then from what I understand, there are restrictions leaving and re-entering Canada. For me, this wasn't a feasible option, as I didn't want to be "stuck" in Canada for what would likely be a full 8 months to a year or so....

Good luck, but I do personally believe (despite my own PR application still pending) that the outside Canada route is by far, the preferable option.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:08 am
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

Hi,

It's been forever since I've been on this forum - kind of like "the good old days" seeing some of my old "friends" user names...

Anyhow, Richard and I applied for inland spousal as of Aug. 1, 2006. Not a word so far. But we are optimistic!!

whm
Old May 29th 2007, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

MapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really niceMapleDragon is just really nice

WHM, We sent our application in August. Today we received AIP letter- and meds request. Yours should arrive shortly!
Old May 29th 2007, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisasurreygirl
(b) if you do the inland route, then from what I understand, there are restrictions leaving and re-entering Canada. For me, this wasn't a feasible option, as I didn't want to be "stuck" in Canada for what would likely be a full 8 months to a year or so....
This is the second time in a couple of days that I've read this on BE Can anyone point me to where the idea that there is this travel restriction has come from? I'm an "in Canada" sponsored spouse PR applicant and I've already been back to the UK twice since we arrived here 19 months ago. Have I just been lucky to have not been pulled up for it??
Old May 29th 2007, 3:59 pm

There is no real travel restriction. The idea you read about stems from the fact that, for persons who need visas to enter Canada temporarily and who are sponsored inland and who travel abroad, there is a risk that when they apply overseas for that visa the application may be turned down. Then they would be in trouble. So, for UK citizens and many others who do not need visas to return, there is no real problem.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
There is no real travel restriction. The idea you read about stems from the fact that, for persons who need visas to enter Canada temporarily and who are sponsored inland and who travel abroad, there is a risk that when they apply overseas for that visa the application may be turned down. Then they would be in trouble. So, for UK citizens and many others who do not need visas to return, there is no real problem.
Thanks - that's reassuring I thought maybe I'd been doing something I shouldn't!
Old May 30th 2007, 9:42 am
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MapleDragon
WHM, We sent our application in August. Today we received AIP letter- and meds request. Yours should arrive shortly!
Hey MapleDragon, thanks for the news! (not to hijack this thread) - We have actually received out AIP letter, too, and are pursuing police check in UK (in process - rec'd a letter from them, too, so all seems to be okay there) and once that's in ... we should be okay???!!

Our Meds met their criteria, I guess - at least they didn't ask us for anything - we sent it up front.

Excellent.

whm
Old May 31st 2007, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

anitsirK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
This is the second time in a couple of days that I've read this on BE Can anyone point me to where the idea that there is this travel restriction has come from? I'm an "in Canada" sponsored spouse PR applicant and I've already been back to the UK twice since we arrived here 19 months ago. Have I just been lucky to have not been pulled up for it??
It's not a travel restriction per se. No foreign national, even those from visa-waiver countries, have guaranteed rights to enter Canada. Only Citizens and Permanent Residents do. Should the Canadian Border Services officer decide to deny you entry, for whatever reason, when you're coming back into the country, well.. you won't be allowed back in. In that case, because you're processing inland, and you have to attend an interview within Canada to "land", your inland spousal sponsorship application is forfeited. Basically, there's always a risk of being denied entry (however small it is), and if you are denied entry, you run the risk of having to start the process again from the beginning.

Some people seem to think that people with an inland application in process are more likely to be denied entry, but I'm not sure that's the case. I think technically, the officers are *supposed* to deny you entry, because you don't have a valid temporary reason to come into the country, but in practice, it seems as though they rarely do so.
Old May 31st 2007, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Thanks - that's reassuring I thought maybe I'd been doing something I shouldn't!
Alex, you ARE doing something you shouldn't, you're living in the house that I WANT!!