Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Advantage/Disadvantage of sponsoring a spouse from within canada

Wikiposts

Advantage/Disadvantage of sponsoring a spouse from within canada

Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

illusion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advantage/Disadvantage of sponsoring a spouse from within canada

I want to sponsor my husban who lives in the UK, to join me here in Canada. Will it be best to sponsor him while he is in the UK or for him to come over to Canada as a visitor and me sponsor her while he is here.

What is the disadvantage of sponsoring him while he is in Canada compared to UK. Will he be able to work and study until his the sponsorship process is complete if it is inland sponsorship.

I hope you can help me with my question and thank you for your help.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 2:40 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantage/Disadvantage of sponsoring a spouse from within canada

The problem with Inland Sponsorship is that for about 8 months or so he could not work or study (unless, somehow, he had a study or work visa when he arrived).
Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:31 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by illusion
I want to sponsor my husban who lives in the UK, to join me here in Canada. Will it be best to sponsor him while he is in the UK or for him to come over to Canada as a visitor and me sponsor her while he is here.

What is the disadvantage of sponsoring him while he is in Canada compared to UK. Will he be able to work and study until his the sponsorship process is complete if it is inland sponsorship.

I hope you can help me with my question and thank you for your help.
My hubby sponsored me from within Canada - it took approx 8 months to be granted residency status - had I applied from UK I could potentially have waited 2 years..........granted you cannot work - but we felt it was still the lesser of the two evils.................hope this helps
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by dollface
My hubby sponsored me from within Canada - it took approx 8 months to be granted residency status - had I applied from UK I could potentially have waited 2 years..........granted you cannot work - but we felt it was still the lesser of the two evils.................hope this helps
Spousal application through London 3-8 months see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...es.html#europe
plus 29 days at Mississauga.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:59 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Spousal application through London 3-8 months see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...es.html#europe
plus 29 days at Mississauga.

I might also add it was 7 years ago and perhaps the wait times were crazy then. But I do know someone who did actually have to wait an incredible amount of time. At leat an inland application means you and your spouse can live together and not apart if your spouse happens to have a job waiting for him/her in Canada, making it impossible for them to wait it out with you in the UK.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:42 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Seven years ago there was no such category so each case was treated as an exception to the law and required an order-in-council to approve. Thus processing times were very long awaiting the approval of cabinet. Now, there is an Inland Spouse Category and it is entirely routine (and fast).
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Seven years ago there was no such category so each case was treated as an exception to the law and required an order-in-council to approve. Thus processing times were very long awaiting the approval of cabinet. Now, there is an Inland Spouse Category and it is entirely routine (and fast).
Well all I can tell you is based on MY personal experience having been guided through the process by a very informative immigration officer in the Canadian High Commission, London.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I submitted the application to sponsor my partner from within Canada last April. We've heard nothing yet and are guessing it'll take a year.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I submitted the application to sponsor my partner from within Canada last April. We've heard nothing yet and are guessing it'll take a year.
I looked for MapleDragon the other day, they're currently opening/processing apps received in March 06. Your turn next.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well mine did take 8 months or so, so you are probably on track.....must be a few applicants................hopefully it will come through soon then start the paperwork all over again in a few years to become a citizen!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Well mine did take 8 months or so, so you are probably on track.....
Compare and contrast with recent London figures (in weeks) from this thread

----------------AOR-------PPR----------Visa--------# of weeks(AOR->PPR)
Britishvixen21---28 Dec----14 Mar-------07 Apr-------11
Vcox-----------17 Feb-----30 Mar------20 Apr-------6
Vietcan---------17 Mar----11 May-------08 Jun------8
Mystic kazza----04 Apr-----28 Apr-------19 May-----4!!!!
Ijstewart-------11 Apr-----13 May-------23 Jun------10.5
Lionel_in_OT----11 Apr-----28 Jun-------18 Jul-------11
Painkil---------02 May (26 weeks waiting)!!!----------08 Nov Interview
Daveyboy------02 May-----23 Oct-------------------25!!!
Milka-----------11 May-----18 Oct-------------------23
lisa----------- 12 May (25 weeks waiting)!!!-----------24 Nov Interview
TFI------------12 May (29 weeks waiting)!!!----------29 Aug CIC letter req confirmation of address for refund/Rec refund on Oct 5th.
John-----------19 May----18 July--------08 Aug-----8.5
Sally h---------19 May----12 July--------------------7.5
Rrollinson-------22 May----7th Aug-------------------11
Daz123---------06 June----12 August----------------10.5
Sheenoid-------18 July------24 Jan-------------------27
grantquinn------25 July------26th Oct-------28 Dec---13
Blueeyes2002---14 Aug -----10 November--- 16 Dec---18
Angel2k6-------31 Aug (21 weeks waiting)------------- Still haven't heard a thing
Fast Show------05 Sep (7 weeks waiting)--------------09 Oct eCAS 'Decision Made'
Lees147--------15 Sep-----18 Oct---------------------5
Jazzist----------05 Oct-----27 Nov----------23 Dec----8
Louisasurreygirl--30 Nov
JulieW-----------18 Dec

Beats inland processing any day
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:16 am

There is a definite trend to lengthen inland times to persuade applicants to have their cases processed overseas. My daughter-in-law's Inland Spousal application took only 4 months in 2002, which was the first year of the new category. If work is important then overseas is the way to go. Separation should not often exceed 4 to 6 months or less at CHC London. But, for some visa offices not frequently covered here, the processing times approach and exceed Inland times so the separation and support factor would become more important.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Compare and contrast with recent London figures (in weeks) from this thread

----------------AOR-------PPR----------Visa--------# of weeks(AOR->PPR)
Britishvixen21---28 Dec----14 Mar-------07 Apr-------11
Vcox-----------17 Feb-----30 Mar------20 Apr-------6
Vietcan---------17 Mar----11 May-------08 Jun------8
Mystic kazza----04 Apr-----28 Apr-------19 May-----4!!!!
Ijstewart-------11 Apr-----13 May-------23 Jun------10.5
Lionel_in_OT----11 Apr-----28 Jun-------18 Jul-------11
Painkil---------02 May (26 weeks waiting)!!!----------08 Nov Interview
Daveyboy------02 May-----23 Oct-------------------25!!!
Milka-----------11 May-----18 Oct-------------------23
lisa----------- 12 May (25 weeks waiting)!!!-----------24 Nov Interview
TFI------------12 May (29 weeks waiting)!!!----------29 Aug CIC letter req confirmation of address for refund/Rec refund on Oct 5th.
John-----------19 May----18 July--------08 Aug-----8.5
Sally h---------19 May----12 July--------------------7.5
Rrollinson-------22 May----7th Aug-------------------11
Daz123---------06 June----12 August----------------10.5
Sheenoid-------18 July------24 Jan-------------------27
grantquinn------25 July------26th Oct-------28 Dec---13
Blueeyes2002---14 Aug -----10 November--- 16 Dec---18
Angel2k6-------31 Aug (21 weeks waiting)------------- Still haven't heard a thing
Fast Show------05 Sep (7 weeks waiting)--------------09 Oct eCAS 'Decision Made'
Lees147--------15 Sep-----18 Oct---------------------5
Jazzist----------05 Oct-----27 Nov----------23 Dec----8
Louisasurreygirl--30 Nov
JulieW-----------18 Dec

Beats inland processing any day
All depends on your own personal circumstances
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
There is a definite trend to lengthen inland times to persuade applicants to have their cases processed overseas. My daughter-in-law's Inland Spousal application took only 4 months in 2002, which was the first year of the new category. If work is important then overseas is the way to go. Separation should not often exceed 4 to 6 months or less at CHC London. But, for some visa offices not frequently covered here, the processing times approach and exceed Inland times so the separation and support factor would become more important.
Absoulutely
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agreed. But the OP is British and it sounds like they want to work/study asap. Following 7yr old advice that London processing is >2ce as long, isn't helpful to them.

Besides, can't London applicants wait it out in Canada too? BritishVixen and others have done that, submitting their passports via FedEx when called for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.