Address to receive the PR Card

Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:12 am
Just Joined

anneduncan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Address to receive the PR Card

Hi there,

we just landed in Canada and we had no permanent address yet. We'd like to have the PR Card processed and mailed out ASAP.

We were told at the border that a P.O. Box with the Canadian Post Office was not OK to receive the PR Card.

Not sure whether this is true. Anyone here got the PR Card via P.O. Box?

thanks.

anne
Old Jan 27th 2012, 3:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Address to receive the PR Card

Originally Posted by anneduncan
Hi there,

we just landed in Canada and we had no permanent address yet. We'd like to have the PR Card processed and mailed out ASAP.

We were told at the border that a P.O. Box with the Canadian Post Office was not OK to receive the PR Card.

Not sure whether this is true. Anyone here got the PR Card via P.O. Box?

thanks.

anne
I doubt the border officer would lie to you? You cannot use a post office box, it has to be a physical address.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
I doubt the border officer would lie to you? You cannot use a post office box, it has to be a physical address.
yeah. that's my concern as well. last time I called the cic to ask whether the PO Box was ok or not, the cic call centre agent told me a PO Box would be OK.

So that was confusing and I would love to have some confirmation on that.

thanks.

anne
Old Jan 27th 2012, 4:08 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anneduncan
yeah. that's my concern as well.
I was not concerned at all.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
I was not concerned at all.
concerned or not, that's not the point.

any ideas why the border officer and the cic call centre agent were contradicting each other?

again, if anyone had used the PO Box to get the card, please help on this.

thanks.

anne
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I cant legally see why a PO Box cannot be used.

Question 12
Write your residential address, complete with postal code.
Question 13
Write your mailing address, complete with postal code, if different from the residential address in question A-12.

Many residents of Canada live in rural areas where there is no door to door mail delivery and have to use PO box addresses. All it says is mailing address and a PO box is a mailing address.
My interpretation is a PO box can be used unless someone else knows different or there is written confirmation that states otherwise.
Ive completed COPR's with PO box addresses and it doesnt seem to have been an issue.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:10 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to use our friend's address when I 'landed' in October, as I had seen on here that a number of people had done this. The immigration officer said 'how can this be an address for your PR card as you are only going to be here for three weeks'? I queried this, but there was ultimately no way they would wear it, they were a bit officious, and I had fears that my OH might lose his temper, so we just left it. They gave me a form to fill in to send before we arrive. I am going to fill it in in the middle of February, as I now know what our permanent address will be. It seems to me that it's a bit like the Goods To Follow list, sometimes they seem to want it there and then, and then you get someone else who wants it when you arrive for good.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

I had to go and collect mine in person yesterday after 18 months!!!!! I don't know whether this is something new in Vancouver or just a one off
Old Jan 27th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was told it had to be an address that I was present at too.
Old Jan 28th 2012, 8:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Yes, I was told it had to be an address that I was present at too.
The lesson you should learn from that is don't always believe what you are told.

You absolutely can use a friend's address and if the officer refused to accept it (probably acting illegally) you could simply have given the details to CIC.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE user by choice

I live and learn! Many thanks. By the time we had got that far, I was about to throw in the towel - we were all so tired, and whingey (and a bit nervous about getting our onward flight) however - all will turn out well?