Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Adding Sibling to the PR Application

Adding Sibling to the PR Application

Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:18 am
Just Joined

KhanNT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adding Sibling to the PR Application

Hi All,
I am new to this forum, looking for some help regarding the PR application.

I am in canada for over a year, applied for PR in november '08 and got the AOR in the same month. I was wondering if its possible to add my brother (who is outside Canada) who is under 18 on the same application.

Any help/guidance will be highly appreciated.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:36 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adding Sibling to the PR Application

Hi

Originally Posted by KhanNT
Hi All,
I am new to this forum, looking for some help regarding the PR application.

I am in canada for over a year, applied for PR in november '08 and got the AOR in the same month. I was wondering if its possible to add my brother (who is outside Canada) who is under 18 on the same application.

Any help/guidance will be highly appreciated.
No.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:40 am
Just Joined

PMM: Thanks for the reply.

Can i file the sponsorship application for him once i get the PR?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 1:41 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by KhanNT
PMM: Thanks for the reply.

Can i file the sponsorship application for him once i get the PR?
Only if he is an orphan under 18.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

So the question becomes, are your parents alive?

If your parents are alive, once you are a PR, and provided you can show sufficient income, you can sponsor them, and may be able to include your brother on the application.

The above describes your options under the Federal program if your parents are alive. There may also be a few options under various Provincial programs, which do allow siblings to be sponsored under certain circumstances, depending where you live.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ron Liberman
So the question becomes, are your parents alive?

If your parents are alive, once you are a PR, and provided you can show sufficient income, you can sponsor them, and may be able to include your brother on the application.

The above describes your options under the Federal program if your parents are alive. There may also be a few options under various Provincial programs, which do allow siblings to be sponsored under certain circumstances, depending where you live.
Thanks for the reply.

My parents are alive and i think i can show sufficient income as i have a professional job in a management consulting firm. When you said i can include my brother (under 18) on the application, do you mean PR application that is under process right now or filing a sponsorship application once i get the PR.

My PR application is FSW, not under any provincial program.

I just read this somewhere online "If you live alone in Canada, providing that you are a citizen or a permanent resident, you may sponsor your adult sibling. This has to satisfy the requirement that no other relatives, distant or not, live within the country. This rule is actually applicable to any of your family members in your home country, regardless of the degree of relationship. You can sponsor your grandparents, uncles, cousins, and nephews or nieces." and wanted to find out if i can sponsor my brother (this is another one who is 25) based on this qualification.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Ron Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really niceRon Liberman is just really nice

It has to be a sponsorship application once you are a permanent resident, he can not go on your existing PR application.

Sorry, the rules you quote are for very exceptional circumstances and do not apply in your case. They only apply if there is no other relative anywhere that you could sponsor. Not only is that hard to prove, in your case it would not be factually correct, because your parents constitute "other relatives" that you can sponsor. That is why I did not mention these rules as a possibility.

Unfortunately I think you misunderstood my remarks about Provincial programs. Some Provinces have sponsorship processes for siblings. You have to be a permanent resident of Canada living in that Province in order to qualify.