Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

Wikiposts

Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:32 am
Just Joined

kingmustard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

Originally Posted by kingmustard
"The 2011 International Experience Canada of the United Kingdom is now closed.

Please note that we will not accept any applications mailed after Tuesday August 9th, 2011 (as attested by the postal mark). Please ensure that the mailing date is clearly and legibly indicated.

The information regarding the opening of the 2012 International Experience Canada initiative will be posted on this page this fall. Please visit this site frequently to also receive updates on improvements being made to the initiative for 2012.
"
Bummer
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I knew you were 25, but just wanted to point out the upper age limit so you don't procrastinate too long!

The program opens in December or January usually with a limited number of visas (they've all gone for this year), so if you wanted to go next year then start looking in to it now. It could be a great way to get over there and try it out.
Ah! So not a long wait. Would I need one to do things such as the stuff here?: http://www.workaway.info/
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingmustard
Ah! So not a long wait. Would I need one to do things such as the stuff here?: http://www.workaway.info/
Yep, not long at all. You could start getting everything together i.e. police check, proof of funds etc, whilst you are waiting to be able to apply.

You may need one, it will depend on the exact nature of the job. If it is true volunteering (i.e. you don't get paid or receive anything in lieu of pay) then you can do it without a work permit, but anything else would require one.

If you do think you want to actually move to Canada though, then forget volunteering as it won't lead to Permanent Residency. If that is your aim, then you'd be better off going over on a WHV, then trying to get a skilled job and impressing the hell out of your employer so they want to keep you.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They are easy to get, if you are aged 30 or under, have at least $3k in your bank account and have no criminal record. The tricky bit will be converting that one year WHV in to a longer stay if you want to.
That rules me out
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:08 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
That rules me out
Which one? One you can do something about the other you can't.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:57 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Well he could apply for a 2nd IEC visa to tag onto the back of his original - that would give more time to get in with an employer who might go down the LMO route.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I know how good Ive got it, I love this 4 season climate (except March/ April)
Thats the Ontario summer in an nutshell, 30+ C, 8 days of rain and a lot of sweating...
Couldn't have said it any better. Life is good
Apart from the rain in March/April the weather is great here. I love a walk in the snow and then go home, to a nice cosy fireplace and hot drink. And I love planning my summer camping trips as I know whenever we go it'll be nice and sunny. The thunderstorms are brilliant as long as your not in a tent
Went down camping at Sandbanks this year and Quinte Region and Quinte Isle are beautiful.
And yes I guess Leeds got the same rain as M'cr although I like Yorkshire. My husband studied in Huddersfield, nice little town.