Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

Wikiposts

Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:25 am
Just Joined

kingmustard is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

The last 10 years or so, I keep hearing that 'it's easy to move to Canada' but I'm more realistic and believe it's not quite as easy as people say it is.

I am a 25 year old male with a degree in Multimedia (but I tend to do low-level office jobs) in excellent health.

What are my realistic chances?

I know no one there.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

It is relatively easy when compared to the US, so perhaps that's how it's considered 'easier'. But immigration to Canada has got much, much tougher in recent years so it's no longer as easy as it once was.

Without knowing more about you i.e. your exact job, your net worth, any business experience you have, which province you wish to move to, etc, it's impossible for any of us to tell you if you'd be eligible for a visa, but you can start figuring it out by looking at the CIC website and the Wiki on here.

A good option to consider would be a Working Holiday Visa, which would give you a year's open work permit to get over there and try it out. Have you ever visited before?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingmustard
The last 10 years or so, I keep hearing that 'it's easy to move to Canada' but I'm more realistic and believe it's not quite as easy as people say it is.

I am a 25 year old male with a degree in Multimedia (but I tend to do low-level office jobs) in excellent health.

What are my realistic chances?

I know no one there.
Its got harder, ten years ago it was a doddle, now in general you need either specific job experience, or a firm, government approved job offer.

Rather than rehash thousands of previous replies, I suggest you start with the README post and check out the wiki article on immigration basics, which includes the current "List"

I wouldnt be too optimistic with a degree in multimedia and no obvious niche skills, sorry... You might be able to come on a one year working holiday visa and leverage that into something more permanent via the "canadian experience" route, but even thats not all that simple.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

canadianbird is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend getting over there and trying it our first, not everyone gets on with the Canadian winters...and you never know you might meet a nice Canadian girl whilst there
Old Sep 20th 2011, 5:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd hate all that rain and endless cloudy skies out in Vancouver, too much like the UK for me
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Yeah, I'd hate all that rain and endless cloudy skies out in Vancouver, too much like the UK for me
Yep...rather plus 35 in summer and minus 35 in winter than all the rain, clouds and slush. I definitely had enough rain for the rest of my life whilst living in Manchester
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Yep...rather plus 35 in summer and minus 35 in winter than all the rain, clouds and slush. I definitely had enough rain for the rest of my life whilst living in Manchester
It was Leeds for me. Same rain though I expect Its the blue skies that do it for me here, that and the thunderstorms, and hunkering down by the fire while a winter storm blows through.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It is relatively easy when compared to the US, so perhaps that's how it's considered 'easier'. But immigration to Canada has got much, much tougher in recent years so it's no longer as easy as it once was.

Without knowing more about you i.e. your exact job, your net worth, any business experience you have, which province you wish to move to, etc, it's impossible for any of us to tell you if you'd be eligible for a visa, but you can start figuring it out by looking at the CIC website and the Wiki on here.

A good option to consider would be a Working Holiday Visa, which would give you a year's open work permit to get over there and try it out. Have you ever visited before?
I've only been to Spain 10 years ago for a week's holiday :P I'm just throwing the idea out really. Getting some general information kind-of thing.
Its got harder, ten years ago it was a doddle, now in general you need either specific job experience, or a firm, government approved job offer.

Rather than rehash thousands of previous replies, I suggest you start with the README post and check out the wiki article on immigration basics, which includes the current "List"

I wouldnt be too optimistic with a degree in multimedia and no obvious niche skills, sorry... You might be able to come on a one year working holiday visa and leverage that into something more permanent via the "canadian experience" route, but even thats not all that simple.
Yeah, I don't do anything job-wise that most others can't do unfortunately and I realise that. I am training to become a bookkeeper, though.
Originally Posted by canadianbird
I would recommend getting over there and trying it our first, not everyone gets on with the Canadian winters...and you never know you might meet a nice Canadian girl whilst there
Canadian birds do seem fit in general, I have noticed that :P I'll looking into a Working Holiday Visa. If they're easy to get, I could try that. EDIT: Appears the Canadian Working Holiday Program has been re-named the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative.
Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I've heard that, in general, the summers are warmer and the winters are colder.

Last edited by kingmustard; Sep 20th 2011 at 6:28 am.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

You last two posters don't know how good you have it!
How about rain about 8 days a year?
Today it is 96 degrees. Sorry I don't know the conversion.
Sweat, sweat and more sweat.

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

Originally Posted by cheers

Cheers
Where does it rain about 8 days a year?

96F = 35C.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'll looking into a Working Holiday Visa. If they're easy to get, I could try that.
They are easy to get, if you are aged 30 or under, have at least $3k in your bank account and have no criminal record. The tricky bit will be converting that one year WHV in to a longer stay if you want to.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They are easy to get, if you are aged 30 or under and have no criminal record. The tricky bit will be converting that one year WHV in to a longer stay if you want to.
I am 25 and have no criminal record
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by cheers

Cheers
I know how good Ive got it, I love this 4 season climate (except March/ April)
Thats the Ontario summer in an nutshell, 30+ C, 8 days of rain and a lot of sweating...

Last edited by iaink; Sep 20th 2011 at 6:32 am.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I am 25 and have no criminal record
I knew you were 25, but just wanted to point out the upper age limit so you don't procrastinate too long!

The program opens in December or January usually with a limited number of visas (they've all gone for this year), so if you wanted to go next year then start looking in to it now. It could be a great way to get over there and try it out.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Is it actually "easy" to move from UK to Canada?

"The 2011 International Experience Canada of the United Kingdom is now closed.

Please note that we will not accept any applications mailed after Tuesday August 9th, 2011 (as attested by the postal mark). Please ensure that the mailing date is clearly and legibly indicated.

The information regarding the opening of the 2012 International Experience Canada initiative will be posted on this page this fall. Please visit this site frequently to also receive updates on improvements being made to the initiative for 2012.
"

Bummer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.