activating visa question

Old Mar 1st 2012, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default activating visa question

just trying to gather some info and get prepared for activating visas. when we get our visas we want to activate them stay for a few weeks holiday then go back to uk....my question is when i arrive in canada what do i do, do i have to find immigration or just go through customs. does someone stamp my visa and activate it... do i have to bring any documents with me like my goods to follow or my proof of funds. or is all that done when we go back and land for good....??? sorry for all the questions but need to get things sorted in my mind to make sure we do it correctly.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:11 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: activating visa question

You havent said which visa are you going to get but I landed at Calgary with a PR to activate it and this is what I did:

-Went straight to the immigration (I think there was a seperate queue for the new PRs) with my passport and COPR

-They checked my documentation and 'welcomed' me to Canada.

-I provided them a relative's address in canada for the PR card to be sent to (if you do not have an address in Canada to give them at the time of landing then I think you can provide it later on once you can)

-The cancelled my visa with a black marker, stamped the COPR and stapled my copy of the COPR in my passport.

-I declared the amount of cash I will be bringing into Canada on the COPR. Thats all (no proof of funds required). And the customs wasnt interested in any good to follow list.

HTH
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Mhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the roughMhut is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by shazza69
just trying to gather some info and get prepared for activating visas. when we get our visas we want to activate them stay for a few weeks holiday then go back to uk....my question is when i arrive in canada what do i do, do i have to find immigration or just go through customs. does someone stamp my visa and activate it... do i have to bring any documents with me like my goods to follow or my proof of funds. or is all that done when we go back and land for good....??? sorry for all the questions but need to get things sorted in my mind to make sure we do it correctly.
Hi

We activated out PR in October gone. Que'd up like everyone else. When called to the desk told the officer we had come to activate our PR visas. told to go to secondary immigration, went there got called to one of the desks and asked for our passports and COPRs. Gave all that, told to sit down, got called after 10 minutes and asked how much money we were taking with us and address in Canada for PR cards to be sent. All done there, then picked up lots of info from a welcome section, picked up luggage and went to declare goods, got asked for GTF list and that was checked and stamped and on our way.

Good luck

Mhut
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If coming in as a PR and activating COPR you should have 2 x lists of goods.
List 1 goods that you physically have with you on arrival
List 2 goods to follow at a later date

18. If no list has been prepared, the settler will be instructed to complete one, before any further processing can be completed.

You should explain that you are just activating PR status and returning but this can cause problems as normally people dont have a GTF list.

This list must be presented to the border services officer when the settler first arrives in Canada, even if no goods are being imported at that time. Instead of a list, Form B4A, Personal Effects Accounting Document (list of goods imported), may be used.

Proof of funds not required if going back after activating.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If coming in as a PR and activating COPR you should have 2 x lists of goods.
List 1 goods that you physically have with you on arrival
List 2 goods to follow at a later date

18. If no list has been prepared, the settler will be instructed to complete one, before any further processing can be completed.

You should explain that you are just activating PR status and returning but this can cause problems as normally people dont have a GTF list.

This list must be presented to the border services officer when the settler first arrives in Canada, even if no goods are being imported at that time. Instead of a list, Form B4A, Personal Effects Accounting Document (list of goods imported), may be used.

Proof of funds not required if going back after activating.
In such a case, when is one expected to show proof of funds?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:06 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

When we visited BC recently we flew into Hongcouver. As tourists we queued up with a lot of other tourists. During the period of waiting we noticed that there was a separate lineup for people 'landing'. It was manned, but very few people were going through (maybe a couple in 25 minutes). From what I could see it would have been quite a quick process to activate PR.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:18 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

You are expected to have proof of funds when you "land"
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Because of the various streams for getting PR this some times causes confusion and why BSOs dont always ask for proof of funds.
Immigrants in the skilled workers and professionals
You will need to provide proof of your funds to the Canadian visa office in your home country when you submit your application for Immigration.

PNP applicants apply through the respective Provinces to meet their criteria.

Family sponsorships are reliant on the sponsor providing the necessary financial support.

A lot of PRs arrive just to activate the PR visa. You are still officially being landed but because they have not sold property in their country they then return to sell the house. As far as POE officers are concerned they have been approved for PR status by whichever stream so are usually not to picky on asking for proof of funds. Students studying in Canada are a different matter and we insist on proof of funds before Study Permits are issued.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You are expected to have proof of funds when you "land"
That's what I thought!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Because of the various streams for getting PR this some times causes confusion and why BSOs dont always ask for proof of funds.
Immigrants in the skilled workers and professionals
You will need to provide proof of your funds to the Canadian visa office in your home country when you submit your application for Immigration.

PNP applicants apply through the respective Provinces to meet their criteria.

Family sponsorships are reliant on the sponsor providing the necessary financial support.

A lot of PRs arrive just to activate the PR visa. You are still officially being landed but because they have not sold property in their country they then return to sell the house. As far as POE officers are concerned they have been approved for PR status by whichever stream so are usually not to picky on asking for proof of funds. Students studying in Canada are a different matter and we insist on proof of funds before Study Permits are issued.
OK. Sounds like a bit of rule bending is going on

I wasn't asked for proof of funds when I landed, but I had it with me just in case
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 7:07 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I 'landed' in Montreal, and it was very fast. Queued up with all of the people going through the passport checks (a very long queue for everyone, including the Canadians) told them I was landing, and they sent me off, after checking us through, to a separate section, where we waited for perhaps ten minutes. We did have an address, of a friend, but this wasn't acceptable, so we were given a form to send in once I have a permanent address. I had prepared two lists of goods to follow (we were just on holiday so we didn't have a Goods Accompanying list) but we were told to present it when I arrive 'properly' in the summer. It was all a bit of an anti climax actually, as I had sort of expected 'something' and it was all easy and streamlined.
Best of Luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ramsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really niceRamsey is just really nice

Originally Posted by james.mc
When we visited BC recently we flew into Hongcouver. As tourists we queued up with a lot of other tourists. During the period of waiting we noticed that there was a separate lineup for people 'landing'. It was manned, but very few people were going through (maybe a couple in 25 minutes). From what I could see it would have been quite a quick process to activate PR.
That was just the first desk..... You get shipped off to another room to the side....

Process was very quick as I arrived late at night with minimal passenger traffic. However there was a lot of queue management devices laid out.... I assume that means it can get pretty busy in there!
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:09 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shazza69
Thanks for asking this question...it is the sort of thing we want to know for when we go in 9 weeks.

Katie
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:47 pm
Here for now

Skimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud ofSkimom has much to be proud of

We landed in Ottawa last May. After going through the usual queue we were sent off to see another Immigration Officer, who processed our paperwork. We weren't allowed to give a friend's address for the PR cards. We were asked to show Proof of Funds. We then had our Goods Accompanying and Goods to Follow lists stamped and dealt with. That was it. All over in about 15 mins, I think.

It was all very low-key and a bit of an anti-climax. Luckily we had taken our own flags to wave in our landing photo!

Best of luck!
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow a wealth of information thank you all, im bemused as to why i need goods to follow though if im going back to uk for now. how can i fill this form out if i dont know what im taking yet....also where do i get this form from..thanks guys you really are such a great help. x
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:34 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Shazza, it seems to me, and I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong... that some people landing, need to give in their list of goods to follow, and some people are told to submit it when they 'properly' arrive, it really does seem to be the luck of the draw - maybe, perhaps? the length of time involved between the two dates? I wrote a list of absolutely everything I could think of that I might conceivably want to take - you can knock things off the list, but you can't add them on - however, the shippers who I am now using, tell me that I can use their inventory as my goods to follow list, so I shall do that. Very best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.