Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Activating PR - Common Law Sponsorship

Activating PR - Common Law Sponsorship

Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Megs_4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Activating PR - Common Law Sponsorship

Hi All,

We had a question regarding activating the visa once it's received. Reading the various posts, my understanding is we will get a passport request, he will send it in, a lovely visa will be put in it and we have 12 months from the date he did his medical to 'activate' the visa.

Can we go to Canada on a holiday to activate the visa and then come back to the UK for 6 months to 1 year to wrap things up.

I realize once he has landed, he will fill paperwork out and receive a PR card. Does he need to stay in Canada until he receives this as I understand it takes a few weeks to process.

Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Megan & Gordon
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activating PR - Common Law Sponsorship

Originally Posted by Megs_4
We had a question regarding activating the visa once it's received. Reading the various posts, my understanding is we will get a passport request, he will send it in, a lovely visa will be put in it and we have 12 months from the date he did his medical to 'activate' the visa.

Can we go to Canada on a holiday to activate the visa and then come back to the UK for 6 months to 1 year to wrap things up.

I realize once he has landed, he will fill paperwork out and receive a PR card. Does he need to stay in Canada until he receives this as I understand it takes a few weeks to process.

Any insight/advice would be appreciated.
As always, the Wiki has the answers............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Megs_4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As always, the Wiki has the answers............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Thank you Christmasoompa - as always I trust you to keep us right!!

I must remember to CHECK WIKI!

Thanks again - that is great news!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megs_4
as always I trust you to keep us right!!
Ooooh no, don't trust me with anything, and certainly not that!