Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Activating outland visa while in Canada

Activating outland visa while in Canada

Old Jul 20th 2011, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian_Fig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Activating outland visa while in Canada

I have just received my passport back with my visa inside.
I am currently in Canada on a visitor visa which expires soon (7 days but I have applied for an extension which doesn't really matter anymore

I was going to go round the flag, as i am in Toronto was just going to head over to Niagara and doing it there, we can't go this weekend due to the wife working but on the form i read next to the '*' that you can activate it from within canada at a local office.

I haven't rang the number as of yet but will tomorrow, was just wondering if this is a speedy process or will i get stuck in a que for a week or so waiting for an appointment.
Basically I was hoping for input of those that activated it that way or have knowledge rather than going round a flag.

Ta
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:27 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activating outland visa while in Canada

Speedy is going to the border and flag poling.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Whats the timeline on the other route though?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on your local office it can be anything between 1 week and 6 to get an appointment to activate your PR.

If it's easy for you to get to the border I would recommend flagpoling if time is of the essence.

Don't forget your goods to follow list
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I don't think i can really on getting it done in an office, going round the flag (as its only an hour or so down the road is quicker).

Don't really have a goods to follow list as such so won't be bothering with that.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:35 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Goods accompanying / goods to follow they will ask you for - it's not optional.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, glad you said that

What happens if i won't be having goods to follow or accompanying? I have a lot of stuff already here that i brought with me but its basically starting again.
Should i include all the clothes and electronics i brought with me on my visit as a visitor?

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not bumping my own post but going round the flag pole this weekend so rather than create a new one thought i would post the question in here as its relevant.

I have printed off the goods accompanying and to follow lists but I am going round the flag pole and basically...I won't be taking anything with me so the accompanying list will be blank and so will my goods to follow as I have everything here from the UK.
Do I just present the IO with blank lists? I understand I need to take them but is this going to cause me problems at the boarder? I am a little worried.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:20 pm
Banned

I would suggest making a goods accompanying list with anything that you previously brought over (when you first moved here) on it, just in case.

As for goods to follow, is there absolutely nothing you will bring back with you when you return from England (presuming you will be going over at some stage)? If there is anything (books, clothes, cd's, dvd's, camera, photo's, jewellery, watch, paperwork or whatever) I would suggest you put them on the goods to follow list so there is no chance of having to pay tax on them and to make it easy on your return to Canada.

Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian_Fig
I'm not bumping my own post but going round the flag pole this weekend
When you enter the US usually not a good idea to make things complicated by telling them you want to flagpole and get a refusal of entry. If you have the right documents to enter the USA, just make it a day trip (shouldn't be too hard at Niagara) and re-enter Canada on the way back.

See:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
When you enter the US usually not a good idea to make things complicated by telling them you want to flagpole and get a refusal of entry. If you have the right documents to enter the USA, just make it a day trip (shouldn't be too hard at Niagara) and re-enter Canada on the way back.

See:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada
OK, now I need to bump this post...

We live about 40 mins from the border.

My husband wants to flagpole tongiht - he only has his clothing here and has bought everything while in canada....CAN WE DO THIS WITHOUT A GOODS TO FOLLOW LIST??

Can we not just go to canadian border services t flagpole?? AND NOW I'M CONFUSED, he may get denied entry into the US so that he cannot flagpole??

I am so confused!! I hear the term flagpole - I even called the CBSA and they know about the term flagpole.

*FEEL LIKE im going to barf fromt he nerves
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:02 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
OK, now I need to bump this post...

We live about 40 mins from the border.

My husband wants to flagpole tongiht - he only has his clothing here and has bought everything while in canada....CAN WE DO THIS WITHOUT A GOODS TO FOLLOW LIST??

Can we not just go to canadian border services t flagpole?? AND NOW I'M CONFUSED, he may get denied entry into the US so that he cannot flagpole??

I am so confused!! I hear the term flagpole - I even called the CBSA and they know about the term flagpole.

*FEEL LIKE im going to barf fromt he nerves
1. If you don't have Goods to Follow, then you don't need a GTF list do you.
2. The whole idea of Flagpole is to go the US side, they give an administrative rejection letter, you return to the Canadian side and "land"
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. If you don't have Goods to Follow, then you don't need a GTF list do you.
2. The whole idea of Flagpole is to go the US side, they give an administrative rejection letter, you return to the Canadian side and "land"
Ok - does this affect entry into the US later on?

Thanks so much pmm - you always keep me a bit more calm after hearing from you...
Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ok - well, to set my mind at ease. I spoke to CBSA and the ABSA.

I contacted the CBSA first and asked about the specific procedure for "flagpoling". The CBSA agent explained to me that we need to let the US agent know we need to enter the US to return back to canada to activate our PR visas. She told me that the US agent would give us a rejection letter....which then I said..."rejection?" wont that interfere with my hubby returning to the US for leisure in the future...the CBSA responded...well, that is something you would have to speak to the us border services about...

So, I contacted the US border services.

They explained to me that when we speak to the us border agents we let them know we are coming into the united states so we can return to canada and activate my husbands canadian pr visa. So, we do that, and there shouldn't be any kind of "rejection letter". He will need to fill out an I94W form to enter the united states, then we return to Canada and activate his PR.

So, i feel MUCH better now~! Wish us luck! We leave in 2 hours!
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 2:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
Ok - well, to set my mind at ease. I spoke to CBSA and the ABSA.

I contacted the CBSA first and asked about the specific procedure for "flagpoling". The CBSA agent explained to me that we need to let the US agent know we need to enter the US to return back to canada to activate our PR visas. She told me that the US agent would give us a rejection letter....which then I said..."rejection?" wont that interfere with my hubby returning to the US for leisure in the future...the CBSA responded...well, that is something you would have to speak to the us border services about...

So, I contacted the US border services.

They explained to me that when we speak to the us border agents we let them know we are coming into the united states so we can return to canada and activate my husbands canadian pr visa. So, we do that, and there shouldn't be any kind of "rejection letter". He will need to fill out an I94W form to enter the united states, then we return to Canada and activate his PR.

Enter the United States as a visitor and subsequently return to Canada - no problem.

Get a "refusal" from the United States - possible problems later on.

The article in post #10 explains.