Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Activating our permanent residence

Activating our permanent residence

Old Sep 1st 2017, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

aerivona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Activating our permanent residence

Hi All,

I hope you can help me with a few questions. I have recently received a request to send copies of our passports to the visa office to receive confirmation of permanent residence. This got me thinking about our plans to do a short landing.

1. I have flights booked to Vancouver in November and wanted to activate our PR then but we will be flying again from Vancouver to Calgary in December. Obviously we won't have pr cards at this point. Would they allow us to fly if we already activated our PR in Vancouver, or should we not activate it in Vancouver and activate in Calgary which is the last part of our trip.

2. Would they allow us to activate our PR on a flight from Vancouver to Calgary?

Last edited by aerivona; Sep 1st 2017 at 8:22 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 1st 2017, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Activating our permanent residence

Its a domestic flight within Canada so no PR card is required.
Just do the landing when you arrive in Vancouver and provide them with a Canadian address for the PR card to be sent to.
If you are establishing a residence you will also need the Goods To Follow list on arrival.
Old Sep 1st 2017, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

aerivona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Its a domestic flight within Canada so no PR card is required.
Just do the landing when you arrive in Vancouver and provide them with a Canadian address for the PR card to be sent to.
If you are establishing a residence you will also need the Goods To Follow list on arrival.
Thanks that's great news
Old Sep 1st 2017, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aerivona
Thanks that's great news
You will need to provide official ID for the flight i.e. passport, driving licence.
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You will need to provide official ID for the flight i.e. passport, driving licence.
And this reminds me, keep your UK driving licence when you land. It's valid in BC for three months, if you're moving to Calgary then you'll want to be swapping to an Alberta one eventually anyway, and even if you're just visiting there, ICBC will only issue a paper interim licence until you have your PR card, so if you try to swap you'll just wind up down one (and the most usable) piece of photo ID for months.