Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Absolutely no movement in our application. Feel like crying!

Absolutely no movement in our application. Feel like crying!

Old May 11th 2012, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough
Default Absolutely no movement in our application. Feel like crying!

Pretty much as the title says (

I've just come across another thread from someone who put in their application (FSW2 with job offer) on 15 April 2012 and two weeks later, they've already gone into process and it's being sent to Buffalo (not quite sure why, we had to send ours to London). And whilst I am - of course! - delighted for them, it makes me feel so down about our application.

We sent in all our paperwork in June 2010, the rules changed as our application was in the post, it arrived a day after the rules changed and we got everything back. We started from scratch again (husband had to do the IELTS even though the only language he speaks is English!), so we did.

Application (with full docs) went off to Sydney in March 2011, got PER and it was moved to London. It arrived there in April 2011 and has been RBVO ever since

Nothing has happened since and I am just not sure how much longer I can bear the strain of "not knowing"

To top it all off, our TWP is running out in Feb 2013 and we can only ask for another 6 month extension (we came on a intra company transfer and in August 2013 we'll have had our maximum of 5 years on a TWP)

We've invested so much money, time etc in our move to Canada but it seems we'll have to move back to the UK because CIC is sitting on our application

We tried contacting them about our case when ECAS showed an address (twice, got changed back, now again showing an unknown address) we never used, but according to them, our mail address was still the same as always. We asked them if they knew if there was any movement in our case but - of course - they said they couldn't comment on individual cases.

I'm sorry if this comes across as a self-indulgent whine but I'm just feeling *so* low about it all
Old May 11th 2012, 2:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Absolutely no movement in our application. Feel like crying!

Sorry to hear you're still waiting, although I guess it's no consolation, but you're in a perfectly normal timeframe and lots of others are still waiting from then too.

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
To top it all off, our TWP is running out in Feb 2013 and we can only ask for another 6 month extension (we came on a intra company transfer and in August 2013 we'll have had our maximum of 5 years on a TWP)
Well, it's 4 years, not 5, the max that you can have on a TWP, but it's not retrospective - so it's 4 years from when they introduced that rule in April 2011, so you won't reach that limit until April 2015. See this for more info - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2011-03-24.asp

Hope that gives you a bit of peace of mind anyway, and know that you won't have to leave Canada, and hope that you hear something soon.

Old May 11th 2012, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry to hear you're still waiting, although I guess it's no consolation, but you're in a perfectly normal timeframe and lots of others are still waiting from then too.

Well, it's 4 years, not 5, the max that you can have on a TWP, but it's not retrospective - so it's 4 years from when they introduced that rule in April 2011, so you won't reach that limit until April 2015. See this for more info - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2011-03-24.asp

Hope that gives you a bit of peace of mind anyway, and know that you won't have to leave Canada, and hope that you hear something soon.

Holy cow!! Thanks so much for the link! That's been a real eye-opener! When we first read about the rule, they hadn't made clear if it was retroactive or not. Shortly after that, we were told by our solicitor (they handle the twp on behalf of my husband's company) that we would have to get out by August 2013!

Reading the link you gave me, it seems to indicate that this is completely NOT true on several levels!

A) It's retroactive (not what the solicitor said)

but also B) - and maybe even more important to us! - as an inter company transferee, my husband is *exempt* from the 4 years cumulative duration rule! Whooooo! That is actually pretty fantastic news!

You have definitely made me smile again I just don't understand how I could have missed the page you linked to I mean, I do not just sit at home and twiddle my thumbs (okay, I sometimes do that), I do try and keep up with all the changes and such (depressing as they may be sometimes). You clearly are The Oracle!

Doesn't change *all* the uncertainty (like if my husband should lose his job) but it has made me breathe quite a bit easier Thank you!
Old May 11th 2012, 3:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
Holy cow!! Thanks so much for the link! That's been a real eye-opener! When we first read about the rule, they hadn't made clear if it was retroactive or not. Shortly after that, we were told by our solicitor (they handle the twp on behalf of my husband's company) that we would have to get out by August 2013!

Reading the link you gave me, it seems to indicate that this is completely NOT true on several levels!

A) It's retroactive (not what the solicitor said)

but also B) - and maybe even more important to us! - as an inter company transferee, my husband is *exempt* from the 4 years cumulative duration rule! Whooooo! That is actually pretty fantastic news!
Ah yes, sorry, missed the fact that your husband is on an intra-company transfer TWP. So it doesn't apply to you at all. You might want to suggest to hubby's company that they consider changing their choice of law firm.

Good luck with the application, hope you hear very soon.