Abandon hope at 46?

Old May 28th 2019, 8:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abandon hope at 46?

Originally Posted by Stumpylegs
Don't want to thread-jack, but whats the generous PNP program for BC? are we simply talking the regional pilot, or is there something else I am unaware of (I'm someone trying to get in via FST but fully aware I'm borderline to getting in so looking at any and all back up plans).
I'm assuming that CanadaJimmy is talking about the Entrepreneur program, which is great if you want to set up a business in BC, have the funds to do so, and are happy to live outside of Vancouver.
Old May 28th 2019, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't want to thread-jack, but whats the generous PNP program for BC? are we simply talking the regional pilot, or is there something else I am unaware of (I'm someone trying to get in via FST but fully aware I'm borderline to getting in so looking at any and all back up plans).
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm assuming that CanadaJimmy is talking about the Entrepreneur program, which is great if you want to set up a business in BC, have the funds to do so, and are happy to live outside of Vancouver.
Not that one, there's a special one for the North-East region that allows Entry level and Semi-Skilled to immigrate: https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...d-Semi-Skilled
"For the Northeast Development Region of B.C., you may apply in any National Occupational Classification occupation (skill level C or D)."
You still have to get a work permit first, but unlike for the federal PR route it doesn't have to be in a skilled job. You can get a job in a Tim Hortons up there and become PR.
Old May 28th 2019, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Not that one, there's a special one for the North-East region that allows Entry level and Semi-Skilled to immigrate: https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...d-Semi-Skilled
"For the Northeast Development Region of B.C., you may apply in any National Occupational Classification occupation (skill level C or D)."
You still have to get a work permit first, but unlike for the federal PR route it doesn't have to be in a skilled job. You can get a job in a Tim Hortons up there and become PR.
Ah, got ya, that one. Guess it's technically possible, although the reality of any Tim Hortons manager going through the hassle of hiring a foreign worker on a TWP is probably fairly slim. Depending on Stumpyleg's occupation, if he's something like an electrician or plumber (as he says he's applying under FST), then the Entrepreneur route is probably more attractive if he wants to set up his own business anyway.
Old May 28th 2019, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, got ya, that one. Guess it's technically possible, although the reality of any Tim Hortons manager going through the hassle of hiring a foreign worker on a TWP is probably fairly slim. Depending on Stumpyleg's occupation, if he's something like an electrician or plumber (as he says he's applying under FST), then the Entrepreneur route is probably more attractive if he wants to set up his own business anyway.
Aye Mechanic - so i could potentially set up my own shop - although the more attractive option (as its sort of what the other half wants us to do anyway long term) would be to set up our own business with holiday lets- an acreage with cabins on the grounds, maybe a couple of travel trailers we rent out and parking for more travel trailers - obviously its totally scaleable from there dependant on planning laws/market and money and in what direction you would want to take it.

The one property we found when looking, which if it is still available if we get PR through FST we would be looking to purchase regardless of whether we turned it into a business already has 3 cabins on the land as well as the main house, on a 30 acre plot about 20 minutes from a ski/golf resort and some lakes etc.

The bit that stops me dead in the water is whilst i am registered in the UK for self assessment for rental properties, it's not classed a registered business (i.e i'm not a ltd/plc etc.)and whilst i do hold a management position in my day job, without a post secondary qualification i need to have owned a business for 3 out of the last 5 years. So i need to go and obtain a post secondary qualification (at which point i would likely have 400 points for FST)

Thanks for the info - and its good to know at least i'm not missing any simple ways of getting in - I'm really hoping i don't need a plan B.
Old May 28th 2019, 9:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Aye Mechanic - so i could potentially set up my own shop - although the more attractive option (as its sort of what the other half wants us to do anyway long term) would be to set up our own business with holiday lets- an acreage with cabins on the grounds, maybe a couple of travel trailers we rent out and parking for more travel trailers - obviously its totally scaleable from there dependant on planning laws/market and money and in what direction you would want to take it.

The one property we found when looking, which if it is still available if we get PR through FST we would be looking to purchase regardless of whether we turned it into a business already has 3 cabins on the land as well as the main house, on a 30 acre plot about 20 minutes from a ski/golf resort and some lakes etc.

The bit that stops me dead in the water is whilst i am registered in the UK for self assessment for rental properties, it's not classed a registered business (i.e i'm not a ltd/plc etc.)and whilst i do hold a management position in my day job, without a post secondary qualification i need to have owned a business for 3 out of the last 5 years. So i need to go and obtain a post secondary qualification (at which point i would likely have 400 points for FST)

Thanks for the info - and its good to know at least i'm not missing any simple ways of getting in - I'm really hoping i don't need a plan B.
Have you looked into the Start Up Visa PR program? It's possible to obtain a TWP whilst the business is starting up too..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tart-visa.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...k-permits.html
Old May 29th 2019, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond reputeStumpylegs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Have you looked into the Start Up Visa PR program? It's possible to obtain a TWP whilst the business is starting up too..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tart-visa.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...k-permits.html

We have, there's a lot of back up plans we have sort of ready to go if need be. Plan A is to pass my trade exam next month, apply under FST and go from there - as I'm free of restrictions on where I can work and what I need to do. If I either fail the exam or there isn't an FST Draw or it's score jumps again I'll need to go for a different option.

Plan B will either be PNP via saskatchewan, or some sort of start up/entrepreneur visa if they view my management experience as valid - both obviously come with restrictions (pnp possibly less so as I just need to live and work within a province which is pretty pressure free).
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 7:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

We have, there's a lot of back up plans we have sort of ready to go if need be. Plan A is to pass my trade exam next month, apply under FST and go from there - as I'm free of restrictions on where I can work and what I need to do. If I either fail the exam or there isn't an FST Draw or it's score jumps again I'll need to go for a different option.

Plan B will either be PNP via saskatchewan, or some sort of start up/entrepreneur visa if they view my management experience as valid - both obviously come with restrictions (pnp possibly less so as I just need to live and work within a province which is pretty pressure free).

Do bear in mind that a Certificate of Qualification is Province specific.. you would need to get a Red Seal Endorsement on your Provincial Certificate of Qualification to work in another Province to where you take the tests.

I've just seen this new PNP stream for BC - it's a Regional Pilot for Entrepreneurs in Community based new business.. there's links to the communities and the type of business they want to attract, some of them mention accommodation services (which camping / cabins may come under) so that might be something to look into if you have the funds.

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...-Pilot#anchor3
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...m-Requirements
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...unity-Profiles
http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=380372&CVD=380376&CPV=7 2121&CST=01012017&CLV=4&MLV=5
(otherwise, Start up could be a good alternative, the requirements are much lower and you don't need to put in money of your own necessarily!)

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 3rd 2019 at 2:31 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2019, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Do bear in mind that a Certificate of Qualification is Province specific.. you would need to get a Red Seal Endorsement on your Provincial Certificate of Qualification to work in another Province to where you take the tests.

I've just seen this new PNP stream for BC - it's a Regional Pilot for Entrepreneurs in Community based new business.. there's links to the communities and the type of business they want to attract, some of them mention accommodation services (which camping / cabins may come under) so that might be something to look into if you have the funds.

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...-Pilot#anchor3
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...m-Requirements
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...unity-Profiles
http://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=380372&CVD=380376&CPV=7 2121&CST=01012017&CLV=4&MLV=5
(otherwise, Start up could be a good alternative, the requirements are much lower and you don't need to put in money of your own necessarily!)
Aye - although I think if i get in via FST i will likely end up jumping into a closely related NOC as an apprentice and then try and get journeyman as a HET as well. According to the SATCC as i have ticked the box and already have qualifications equivalent to a journeyman in the UK, if i get my CofQ from them i will get Redseal IP journeyman attached to it.

With reference the regional pilot - I had looked into it, and the possibility of Rossland is still a contender if required, the one thing i am unsure about ref Rossland its an unknown market both in terms of purchasing places and the rental income available - I am from the UK, have done 25+ weeks skiing so I know the UK market for ski holidays (obviously outside the UK)

I know the place we originally looked into there is a call for ski holidays in this area- its proximity to international airports etc makes it a destination (albeit not on the banff and whistler scale) for UK skiers. joking apart i know enough friends in the UK who ski regularly that i would likely secure some business through them and their friend circles, but also know where/how to market such items for success - and ultimately its an area we were willing to live and the style of property we would like to have - so the bonus from the front that something like that being able to provide a passive income for the other half to earn was huge.