Aarghh! I have to flagpole!

Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

lilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the rough
Default Aarghh! I have to flagpole!

My plans to apply for a TWP here in England have just been turned on their head.

I have a job offer with a well known coffee chain near Calgary who have an LMO in place and are adding me, it should come back in a week or so. I was planning to apply here in England for a TWP and go when it came through in a couple of months. But, as the labour shortage is so bad the job has asked me to go asap, collect the LMO and flagpole. They said that it's what all of their temporary workers do and that it's nothng to worry about. So I've been reading about flagpoling on this site and my nerves are going. I just needed to share this as it's a massive move for me as a single mum and I know that people here will understand. My Canadian fiance is so laid back about it all, I just wish that I could be too!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aarghh! I have to flagpole!

Are they asking you to work before a work permit is issued?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

lilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the rough

No, and I wouldn't do that anyway. They just want be to go as soon as the LMO comes back.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

I've just been checking out the Canadian Affair website and I found this ...

"All British Passport holders entering the USA on the visa waiver programme are required to hold a machine-readable passport. If do not hold a machine-readable passport you will need to obtain a visa for entry or apply for a new passport. Travellers without a machine readable passport who do not have a visa will be denied entry into the USA and possibly fined."

My passport is eight years old and I'm wondering what they mean by machine readable. I think that when I go through immigration in Calgary they scan it or are they taking a photo? Anyway, how can I tell if it's machine readable?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:04 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

look at the bottom of the photo page . is there a series of letters and nubers etc , that look like your name and passport number with extra characters? Or is there a blank section?

if there are characters then it is machine readable. I would say that yours is almost certainly is , especially if it has been "scanned" before.

I've only ever come across one passport issued in the last five years that wasn't machine readable and that was because it was a consular one.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a stupid question.

Whats flagpoling?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:09 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Usually people on TWP who get PR. You have to leave Canada to activate your PR visa. You leave canada but don't necessarily enter the US. Just a trip round the flagpole!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:18 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lilbiteb
I've just been checking out the Canadian Affair website and I found this ...

"All British Passport holders entering the USA on the visa waiver programme are required to hold a machine-readable passport. If do not hold a machine-readable passport you will need to obtain a visa for entry or apply for a new passport. Travellers without a machine readable passport who do not have a visa will be denied entry into the USA and possibly fined."

My passport is eight years old and I'm wondering what they mean by machine readable. I think that when I go through immigration in Calgary they scan it or are they taking a photo? Anyway, how can I tell if it's machine readable?
Hang on a sec - why would you need to flagpole? If you have your LMO and job offer letter when you land in Canada they will issue your permit POE - you wont need to flagpole? sorry if im missing something ( its early lol)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

The job said that they want me to collect the LMO when I arrive as this is what they usually do. They seem to think that if I come from here with the LMO in my hand then they'll be responsible for my fare and ensuring that I leave the country when the permit ends. I've tried to explain but get "No, no, that's what usually happens".

I really don't mind a trip to Montana as we can include a weekend away which'll be nice!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:40 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lilbiteb
The job said that they want me to collect the LMO when I arrive as this is what they usually do. They seem to think that if I come from here with the LMO in my hand then they'll be responsible for my fare and ensuring that I leave the country when the permit ends. I've tried to explain but get "No, no, that's what usually happens".

I really don't mind a trip to Montana as we can include a weekend away which'll be nice!
Ok call me stupid ( as people regularly do!) BUT when you flagpole your still going to have the LMO in your hand - so does it matter if you enter from the UK or USA its their LMO your going to be showing???

sounds a bit odd ( not dodgy odd) to me, you could always see if they will fax it to you once you have bought your tickets that way they cant be responsible for your fare ( how bizarre!!)

However if your going to do the "flagpole" thing I would suggest a 'day trip' or overnighter in USA rather than having the refusal
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Oh I know that it's odd but if that's what they believe is the right way then I'm ok with it. If it was a small company then I'd be a bit wary but like I said in the first post it's a well known chain so if that's the way they do it I'm fine.

In a way I prefer the way that they want it as it means that I'll have my Canadian fiance with me for support, I'm a bundle of nerves about the whole moving abroad thing at the moment! Also, I don't know where I got this feeling from but I have a feeling that it'll go smoother at a "driving" border where they are probably more used to people flagpolling than at the airport where I always feel like a criminal when they question me!